Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Synthetic or non synthetic oil for turbo setup?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

amsoil here with no prob's
Old 05-28-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I run 10w40 RP works very well.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Wink

funny you say that about Subaru turbos burrning out I had a 05 STI and junked the turbo on that think after about 50k and I changes the oil regularly!

I always thought amsoil made good oil also.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

another for rotella T here, cheap and works great! My lt1 had a 7.5Q pan, and I did royal purple once, cost me 100 for oil and a filter. Hated the stuff and switched to rotella T

Jay
Old 05-30-2010, 12:34 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I should have been a little bit clearer in my statement. The usual over the counter syn oil does not have all the good stuff you want in it. Like all the extra zinc, etc. You need to buy something like Amsoil or Royal Purple to get all the additives they took out of good oil like the OLD Mobil One. IMO there are some good regular oils like Rotella that have all the additives AND Valvoline VR1 racing oil. I personally use the Valvoline VR1 racing oil 20w/50 in my Supra and tons of my Supra friends run the same oil w/out issues... Its a little more than the regular oil, but a little less than top synthetics.

Originally Posted by yoshgixxer
\

welp guess if thats true, sounds like a good reason to use it to me.. I deffinatly cant tell my pops this..he'll go 11-14k per oil change with what ever cheap **** walmart puts in his new Tundra..if i told him synthertic never breaks down..good chance hed never change his oil hahaha
Old 05-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VINCE
I should have been a little bit clearer in my statement. The usual over the counter syn oil does not have all the good stuff you want in it. Like all the extra zinc, etc. You need to buy something like Amsoil or Royal Purple to get all the additives they took out of good oil like the OLD Mobil One. IMO there are some good regular oils like Rotella that have all the additives AND Valvoline VR1 racing oil. I personally use the Valvoline VR1 racing oil 20w/50 in my Supra and tons of my Supra friends run the same oil w/out issues... Its a little more than the regular oil, but a little less than top synthetics.
Exactly! My little bro works in the industry of testing lubricants/additives and this is what he told me. Amsoil is really that good. Mobil one has fallen of the wagon.
I think phosphorous is another additive to ease the wear on valvetrains but it kills converters..so many of the companies have pulled it out of their oils.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i run synthetic royal purple 15w40

my motor was broken in on rottela

i was reading somewhere the the royal purple oil was specifically designed not to break down in turbocharger bearings

Quick Reply: Synthetic or non synthetic oil for turbo setup?