LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction-9/)
-   -   How to DIY build a truck manifold turbo kit! (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1303972-how-diy-build-truck-manifold-turbo-kit.html)

KILLER-LS1 07-09-2010 11:14 PM

***UPDATED 5/23/12*** How to DIY build a truck manifold turbo kit!

30 Attachment(s)
So I know there are a lot of threads on here about truck manifold set ups, but when it comes to a step-by-step guide, it seems like we could use more info. Heres a quick guide to help the average guy/girl build a front-mount kit in their garage! :chug:
NEW:
Attachment 619216

OLD:
Attachment 619217

PREREQUISITES
in order to fab this kit, you need to mount the radiator vertically. I called Griffin Radiators and told them what I was doing and what engine it was for and they built me a custom one. The "universal" griffin that everyone seems to use really isnt the correct unit to use. The engineers at Griffin said that would be too small, and it does not come with a steam port for the heads, or a bung to mount the fluid level sensor. Id just call them and get their recommendation Here are some photos on mounting it...

Attachment 619218
I used a sawzall and just notched my rad support. If you want more room, you can cut it out completely and weld in a square bar to tie the two ends together

Attachment 619219
You will be left with some ugly looking holes. I cut a piece of metal to the same shape and welded it on, filed, and bondo'd it to make it look OEM.

Attachment 619220
Now just paint!

You will also need to mount your intercooler:

Attachment 619221
I just notched out the bumper support, leaving the top of it in tact. then i bolted the intercooler straight up to that.

Attachment 619222

Attachment 619223

Attachment 619224
This is the tubing going to the motor. You dont need to move the fuse block, just loosen it from the bracket to make room for the tube to come through.

TOOLS NEEDED

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...mig-welder.jpg

I used very simple tools, and a basic lincoln MIG welder. Even if you dont have a welder, you can make everything, and then have someone weld it up.

The basics were:

Shielded Gas MIG Welder
Saw (I used a Sawzall for all my cuts haha)
grinder (I used a bench grinder and also had a dremel tool)
Angle gauge ( didnt use one but it might be helpful)

MATERIALS NEEDED

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...m-622005_w.jpg

Truck Manifolds- no need to modify them. Just put the drivers side manifold on the passenger side the other manifold on the drivers side.
Mandrel bent tubing. I bought (1) 2" U bend for my wastegate, (3) 2.5" Mandrel U-bends for the merge pipes, and (3) 3" U bends for the downpipe. This gave me plenty of extra room for error :chug:
Manifold flange - I bought two laser cut flanges off ebay, but im sure some of our sponsors would have them. These are welded to the merge pipe and bolt on to the truck manifolds.
Turbo Flange - Bought my T4 flange from Turbonetics
Wastegate Flange - Should come with your wastegate
V-Band flanges w/ clamps - these come in handy while making the downpipe!
02 Sensor Bung(s)- for wideband/oem sensors
Turbo K-member- will make your life MUCH EASIER!!

MAKING THE MERGE PIPE

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...t/P1000422.jpg

First thing i did was make the actual merge into the T4 Flange. I cut a U bend in half for the 2 pieces. then I measured the opening of the hole on the T4 flange and cut a little off the insides of each pipe until it looked like it would flow smoothly into the turbo flange. Its hard to explain in words, just look at all these pictures :)

Attachment 619225

Attachment 619226

Attachment 619227

Attachment 619228

Attachment 619229 After a little dremel work to smooth out the weld.

Attachment 619230 After the ceramic coating- you can see how smooth the transition is!!
Attachment 619231 Added metal Gussets to strengthen the merge

After the merge was done, I fully bolted up both manifolds with gaskets and started to put it all together... I started on the passenger side and worked my way over. You can go whatever way you want. Just start with the laser cut flange and figure out where you need to go next. THE LESS PIECES YOU HAVE THE BETTER This takes some creativity and a lot of trial and error, but cut an angle out of your U bend and hold it up to the manifold flange and look at the placement. if its where you want it, tack it on in a few spots.

Attachment 619232

Heres a trick i learned: Get a piece of foam tube (like a pool noodle or rollbar padding- etc) then cut it into a few pieces. this way you can jam it into the tube and it will temporarily hold 2 pieces together. THIS IS VERY HELPFUL WHEN MAKING COMPLICATED TURNS!!!

Attachment 619233

After a lot of time and hard work, you'll be half way there :nod:

Attachment 619234 THIS IS TEST FITTING THE PLACEMENT OF THE TURBO, I PUT A JACKSTAND UNDER THE MERGE SO I WOULDNT BREAK THE LITTLE WELDS I HAD

To make the wastegate merge: My turbosmart 50mm required a 2" pipe, so i used a hole saw and cut a 2' hole in the middle of my merge pipe. I then slid in the pipe, and traced around the pipe with a sharpie to figure out how to cut the pipe. A grinder comes in handy because this wont be a straight cut... slide it back in, weld it up, and smooth out all the welding slag!

Attachment 619235

Now just continue everything over to the other side, and BAM! you just finished the hard part :D if youre happy how it turned out, remove the whole thing and fully weld it up!

Now follow the same process for the downpipe. I have a V-band clamp attaching the downpipe to the turbo, and more right before and after it goes through the k-member. This makes everything a lot easier to remove if you need to work on the engine. Keep following the same process all the way to your cat-back and youre done!! now plumb the turbo, and route the cold side (there are many write-ups for that) and all the other turbo goodies!

Attachment 619236

Attachment 619237

MORE TIPS

Patience!!!!! Making a nice straight cut will make lining up and welding everything much easier.

Dont over-complicate Simple is better, dont go all crazy routing piping everywhere

Ceramic coat your tubing - youll thank me later, i used to have another turbo kit with header wrap and let me tell you, this is MUCH BETTER AND MUCH CLEANER LOOKING.

Use the proper tools!! Dont make cuts with a dull blade. Youre chances of hurting yourself or messing up are greater if your tools arent in good condition.

BE SAFE!!!! wear eye protection! ive been to the hospital twice and have had them DRILL out metal from my eye while i was awake. trust me, its not fun.

And last but not least......

HAVE FUN! this was a super fun project for me and it should be for you too!

More pics:
Attachment 619238
Attachment 619239
Attachment 619240
Attachment 619241
Attachment 619242
Attachment 619243

NEW COLOR SCHEME:
Attachment 619244

Attachment 619245

http://youtu.be/Ra0kGcRJ48A

Thanks for checkin out my thread! -Josh Forster

KILLER-LS1 07-09-2010 11:16 PM

Heres the most current specs on the car:

Engine:
• 408ci LQ4 Block
• Eagle Forged 4” Stroke Crank
• Eagle Forged Connecting Rods – Teflon Coated
• Wiseco Forged Pistons – Ceramic & Teflon Coatings
• Clevite Bearings – Teflon Coated
• Improved Racing Baffled Oil Pan
• ARP Studs & Bolts on Every Component
• Comp Cams Custom Camshaft
• Edelbrock Pro-Port Cylinder Heads CNC’d by West Coast Cylinder Heads
• Comp Cams Hardened Pushrods
• Comp Cams Rocker Trunion Upgrade
• Comp Cams High Energy Lifters
• Patriot Extreme Dual Valvesprings
• Edelbrock Pro-Flo XT Intake Manifold
• Edelbrock 90mm Competition Throttle Body
• Edelbrock Water Pump
• Griffin Custom Radiator
• Canton Crankcase Oil Catch Can
• ATI Super Damper
• Dual Edelbrock In-Tank Fuel Pumps
• Edelbrock Fuel Rails
• Turbosmart Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
• Russell Pro-Classic Fuel Lines & Fittings
• MSD 2 Step Launch Control & Plug Wires

Turbo System:
• Custom 91mm Turbocharger
• Garrett Housings & Center Section, Turbonetics Compressor & Turbine Wheels
• Turbosmart Pro Gate 50mm Wastegate
• Turbosmart 50mm Blow Off Valve
• Turbosmart Eboost 2 Boost Controller
• Custom Stainless Steel T6 Flanged Turbo Kit – Ceramic Coated
• Custom 4” Downpipe w/ QTP 4” Electric Exhaust Cutout – Ceramic Coated
• Custom 3” Aluminum “Cold Side” w/ Front Mount Intercooler
• Russell Oil Feed & Return Lines
• Painless “Striker” Methanol Injection
• HP Tuners 3 BAR Speed Density Tune on Factory PCM - Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports (CMS)

Driveline:
• Centerforce DYAD Twin Disc Clutch & Flywheel
• Viper-Spec T56 6-Speed Transmission w/ Hurst Shifter
• PST 3.5” Driveshaft w/ Dual Safety Loops
• Moser 9” Rear Axle w/ Wavetrak Diff, 35 spline Axles, Control Arm Relocation

Chassis:
• QA1 Front Coilover Shocks & Koni Rear Shocks
• BMR Front & Rear Swaybars
• Baer Tracker Adjustable Tie Rod Ends
• BMR Tubular Engine Cradle
• BMR Adjustable Torque Arm
• BMR Torque Arm Relocation Transmission Crossmember
• BMR Dual Rod-End Chromoly Rear Lower Control Arms & Panhard Bar
• Energy Suspension Front Control Arm Bushings, Transmission & Motor Mounts
• Tubular Welded Subframe Connectors
• Custom 7 Point Roll Cage
• Brembo 14” Big Brake Kit
• Hawk HPS Pads
• Russell Brake Lines

Data:
• Custom 220mph Gauge Cluster by 6Litereater Designs
• Autometer Boost Guage & Wideband O2 Sensor
• Stewart Warner Digital Tachometer & Shift Light

cmaurice876 07-09-2010 11:23 PM

Pretty neat write up

KILLER-LS1 07-09-2010 11:24 PM

Heres a little info ive learned along the way, now that I'm on my 3rd turbo system:

Get everything ceramic coated, it is much better than any wrap.
Get a turboblanket, again for heat
Use extra heatshields anywhere you think it might cause an issue ... I melted a rack & Pinion boot on the dyno, and another time melted through the power steering line
Use the LEAST amount of silicone connectors as possible, those will always be the weak point
make sure the turbo is adequately supported, you dont want to stress the tubing
run the biggest oil drain you can. -12 if you can fit it
run the biggest air filter you can fit, my old ones were always a restriction
put an extra 02 sensor bung where your tuner can easily reach it, he will thank you later
invest in a high quality boost controller like Turbosmart Eboost 2. Its amazing what you can do with a nice boost controller. I used to run the AEM and the Eboost 2 has so many more functions!

BottleFedZ346 07-09-2010 11:28 PM

Good writeup man!!!

KILLER-LS1 07-09-2010 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by BottleFedZ346 (Post 13579441)
Good writeup man!!!

Thanks guys, and if its any re-assurance to someone unsure if they can do this....

I did this at age 20! in my parents garage..., and im a self-taught welder.

oh and ive never made anything like this before! So i know you all can do this too!

Paint_It_Black 07-09-2010 11:32 PM

Bookmarked.

Don't move those pictures for a while lol :)

KILLER-LS1 07-09-2010 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black (Post 13579458)
Bookmarked.

Don't move those pictures for a while lol :)

Dont worry, I wont :angel:

battousai 07-09-2010 11:49 PM

wow, thats a pretty nice job, great job doing the writeup. If you can get it on a lift, can you take a picture of what it looks from the bottom?

XtremeDime 07-09-2010 11:52 PM

Think you could do this with a flux core welder? Ive never welded before but I need to make my own kit but I dont have 5-600 to spend on a welder.

KILLER-LS1 07-09-2010 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by battousai (Post 13579502)
wow, thats a pretty nice job, great job doing the writeup. If you can get it on a lift, can you take a picture of what it looks from the bottom?

I havent had a chance yet, but i will when I do. It all tucks very nicely though.

KILLER-LS1 07-09-2010 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by XtremeDime (Post 13579512)
Think you could do this with a flux core welder? Ive never welded before but I need to make my own kit but I dont have 5-600 to spend on a welder.

I know you could if you took your time, it just wouldnt look that pretty. Why dont you just tack it all up with your flux core and then bring it to a welder to finish??

btw I learned how to weld on a harbor freight flux core lol so I know it could be done

XtremeDime 07-10-2010 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1 (Post 13579532)
I know you could if you took your time, it just wouldnt look that pretty. Why dont you just tack it all up with your flux core and then bring it to a welder to finish??

btw I learned how to weld on a harbor freight flux core lol so I know it could be done

Haha man Im really tired of depending on other people anymore. Not to mention, that shit gets expensive. Maybe Ill see if a used MIG comes up

KILLER-LS1 07-10-2010 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by XtremeDime (Post 13579550)
Haha man Im really tired of depending on other people anymore. Not to mention, that shit gets expensive. Maybe Ill see if a used MIG comes up

I found mine on craigslist for $300 and talked the guy down to $100 cuz the wire wouldnt come out haha, it was just kinked in the hose lol

BottleFedZ346 07-10-2010 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1 (Post 13579454)
Thanks guys, and if its any re-assurance to someone unsure if they can do this....

I did this at age 20! in my parents garage..., and im a self-taught welder.

oh and ive never made anything like this before! So i know you all can do this too!

Im in the same boat im 22 and this will be my 1st build which will be completed in my fathers driveway/garage time is on my side but i sure wish the funds where lol....:ripped:

IT_SS 07-10-2010 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by BottleFedZ346 (Post 13579643)
Im in the same boat im 22 and this will be my 1st build which will be completed in my fathers driveway/garage time is on my side but i sure wish the funds where lol....:ripped:

hooray for the late 80's babies (88 my self)

to the op, great write up, now if only there was a WU for twins...

XtremeDime 07-10-2010 02:24 AM

Good to see a bunch of youngens keeping the hobby alive(Im 23)!

ReApEr75 07-10-2010 08:32 AM

Good write up. This will definitely be a help in the future

deelong4002 07-10-2010 09:03 AM

Very nice work.

All told, what do you think you had into everything (excluding the welder) money wise?

MUSTANGBRKR02 07-10-2010 09:13 AM

Very nice write up. That is a good trick with the foam.