Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Good rear mount turbo for c5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Good rear mount turbo for c5?

Considering fabbing up my own rear mount turbo system [Please refrain from your personal opinion on this style]. I just started reading up on these and understand what type of turbo I'd need, I think lol, would this suffice a sub 450 rwhp application.
Found it on craigslist:
Garrett T3/T4 turbo like new. Ar50 compressor and 63mm turbine
Old 07-14-2010, 11:58 PM
Teching In

Me 1: Lol, no one huh?
Me 2: From what I've tried to research, this would be a t3/t4 50 trim, I think.
Me 1: If so, I've seen they're rated between 350-500 hp, perfect that's right up my alley, thanks for the help
Me 2: No prob that's what forums like this are for.

Please take the "skit" in jest, just trying to get this in 2 days and didn't want to waste my $, but it looks like I'll be taking the plunge for better or worse. I still love this place, even though no one wants to help me, lol.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:28 AM
9 Second Club

Hmm... almost scared to post here...

A rear-mount C5 will work fine.. even the STS rear-mount for vetts is pretty sick (twin). As I would reccomend for anyone doing a rear-mount on an LS1 or larger... dont go smaller than a 70mm.

The T-60 T4 turbo is what comes with the basic STS kit for F-body's (single)... it is very small for F-bod's but they can make your goals on that. I would say.. do a H/C setup for your goals... if your going to spend the $$ on FI (it is expensive) then why not shoot for 600-700RWHP?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:16 AM
Teching In

Well, this is a budget build, I plan on doing everything myself (short of welds and tune) and expect to spend less than 1500. I have a stock block/rear end and don't wanna push her too hard. I realize for a 50-90hp increase this seems alittle extreme, but I plan on upgrading my internals/intake/fuel and then swap in a bigger turbo later down the road as finances become more readily available.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:38 AM
9 Second Club

Well you need to upgrade your fuel before you do this... and a good tune is gonna cost ya ~500$. You may wanna read the sticky at the top of this forum about the true cost of FI. Oh... and then do some search's and see if you can find ANYONE who has done a turbo setup that worked and didnt blow their car up for less than $2k. Even do-it-your-selfers... this is part of the reason you havent gotten many replies here... most read this and dont think you are being realistic.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonlouis22
Well, this is a budget build, I plan on doing everything myself (short of welds and tune) and expect to spend less than 1500. I have a stock block/rear end and don't wanna push her too hard. I realize for a 50-90hp increase this seems alittle extreme, but I plan on upgrading my internals/intake/fuel and then swap in a bigger turbo later down the road as finances become more readily available.

sorry, but you have an unrealistic expectation.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about to spend more than that on just the turbo. Then the $350 Turbowerx oil scavenge pump, the oil feed line, check valve, oil line back to motor for the scavenge pump, intercooler, piping, bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, etc, etc...

Shameless plug here:

I'm about to take my 4 solenoid NX direct port kit off and sell it. Maybe you want some nitrous...
Old 07-15-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Def not going to happen for 1500 dollars. Lol, i dont know where im at with my "build" but i can gaurantee its well over 3k. Now grant it, i include a built trans and stall in that cost, But still over 3k.

most people look at the big items, Fuel pump, injectors, turbo, wastegate, and bov, and tend to forget about all the little **** that adds up time and time again. All the latenight trips to the advanced auto, or autozone to pick something stupid up.

And then, youll never get a good tune for free, you better budget atleast 500 for a tune. Just my opinion.

and yes, the standard sts turbo is way to small. Mine is a turbonetics 60-1 and im not done tuning and already want to yank it off in favor or a tc76.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You should sell your corvette and buy a car that allready has FI, 1500 will get you some bolt ons.

Last edited by My2kz28; 07-15-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Launching!

I feel like its pointless to underbuild the system only to have to upgrade later.

Build it for the final goal you have in mind then run less boost. No point in building the kit two times re-sizing charge pipes, intercooler, wastegate, exhaust.

It's just not worth saving money in the beginning because you end up spending twice as much.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jasonlouis22
It can feasibly be done with cheaper parts, a single turbo, and you doing your own fabrication, but you do get what you pay for. The tune and fuel upgrades will probably push you to at least $2k.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Lol, I don't know if I'm getting across what I'm trying to do. It's like I'm saying I wanna get my stock heads and tb ported, because that's all I can afford now for a small gain, and everyone's saying why go small just save the money for a supercharged ls9! It's like there's no middle ground. I was inspired by this website (caution : NSFW ads on page) http://www.junkyardturbos.com/index.php (caution : NSFW ads on page) and he claims to fab his setup for around 1000. I realistically plan on spending around 2k, used turbo + self install. Anyways, have a feeling this topic isn't gonna end well for me.

Last edited by jasonlouis22; 07-15-2010 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Link carefully
Old 07-15-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Be picky. Keep your eye out for a turbo that will work well that will feed a v8's airflow needs. www.forcedinductions.com has consumption charts that show how much air an LS6 needs for certain boost levels and backpressures. Buy used injectors. Get the Shurflo pump for a scavenge pump($110). It can be done on the cheap, but you will go over budget. Everyone does. No matter what the budget.

Consumption Chart: http://www.forcedinductions.com/consumption346.htm
Old 07-15-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

spend less than 1500??? WTF LOL!

Go through the sticky bro.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

bro, FI is expensive as ****...it seems like you can get everything for 2k, and maybe you will get a nice FI car that runs for a long time..just be prepared to have additional costs when the the FI bugs start coming out...i had to spend a lot of time on the dyno to get my fuel tight..just dont break the piggy bank just yet...save your money and maybe do it over winter and make sure its done right..good luck either way man. If you decide to go further, you should post up a detailed description of the exact cost so the next time one of these threads comes up i can post a link to someone that had to learn the hard way..not flaming you, but you need to understand that things break when you boost it

Quick Reply: Good rear mount turbo for c5?