Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Piston Sleeve Wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Piston Sleeve Wear

Check out these sleeves I just pulled my engine because of .042 of crank end play my thrust bearings were mostly in the oil pan plus my crank was cracked and trashed. I'm considering using everything again with a new crank and bearings however my sleeves are showing unusual (to me) wear not sure if it's from the crap floating around in the oil or what. This is the only cylinder with more than visible striations you can actually feel these and if you try real hard catch your nail on them. The other cylinders have them but you can't really feel them.

It's a LS1 block with a Katech Kit 418CI 4.070. This is the #8 cylinder.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is not good.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like she was pretty lean.Need to replace the pistons and hone the cylinders.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the edge of that sleeve cracked and moving away from the block deck?

Old 08-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Launching!

accorring to Katech and some other pics I've found it's normal and has something to do with how there inserted but I really don't know. They've been there since before I boosted the engine.

Being as this is an LS1 block (I'm trying to make 1000rwhp) and probably the only thing left to salvage is the rods and maybe cam I'm probably going to build a new LSX block ASAP no point in gluing this thing back together particularly after the amount of bearing crap in the oil pan. Oh well....
Old 08-16-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

Question

How many miles on this engine with the sleeves ?
Old 08-16-2010, 11:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by njc.corp
How many miles on this engine with the sleeves ?
probably around 8-9K.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:55 AM
Launching!

I'm trying to figure out the exact cause of this my understanding is it's from heat and it scuffed. Is it the piston expanding or what. Detonation or actual overheating?
Old 08-18-2010, 06:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Normally the piston will not hit the cylinder wall above the top ring, although minor touching seems common. when you see this type of wear/marks the skirt might be collapsed or the bore clearance is excessive. Try measuring the pistons at the end of the skirt and compare the sizes, you will probably find that piston is knocked in from load. If the tune was right and it did it you might need a tougher piston at the base of the skirt, but chances are the combustion process was telling the piston to go down and the crank was pushing up! The end result is the piston rocks in the bore and contacts above the top ring, if this is happening on only one cylinder look for a mechanical reason. That cylinder might be getting hot, mixture wrong, weak injector, water flow..........

Kurt
Old 08-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 427
Normally the piston will not hit the cylinder wall above the top ring, although minor touching seems common. when you see this type of wear/marks the skirt might be collapsed or the bore clearance is excessive. Try measuring the pistons at the end of the skirt and compare the sizes, you will probably find that piston is knocked in from load. If the tune was right and it did it you might need a tougher piston at the base of the skirt, but chances are the combustion process was telling the piston to go down and the crank was pushing up! The end result is the piston rocks in the bore and contacts above the top ring, if this is happening on only one cylinder look for a mechanical reason. That cylinder might be getting hot, mixture wrong, weak injector, water flow..........

Kurt
Sounds good the tune should have been dead on I trust the same guy to tune my new motor anyway.

The problem that lead me to tear down the engine was crank walk from problems with the tq converter I was getting a very violent backfire when the reluctor wheel moved forward of the CPS. This happened only at WOT so it was very violent. It took me troubleshooting for months to finally check crank end play so it was allowed to backfire countless times as I looked for electrical issues. Could this be the result of that?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could have been a result of the misfire condition caused from your crank sensor error for sure, but you should make sure everything else is happy while your looking.

Kurt
Originally Posted by laughatrice
Sounds good the tune should have been dead on I trust the same guy to tune my new motor anyway.

The problem that lead me to tear down the engine was crank walk from problems with the tq converter I was getting a very violent backfire when the reluctor wheel moved forward of the CPS. This happened only at WOT so it was very violent. It took me troubleshooting for months to finally check crank end play so it was allowed to backfire countless times as I looked for electrical issues. Could this be the result of that?
Old 08-18-2010, 02:38 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are these sleeves longer than stock?
Old 08-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Are these sleeves longer than stock?
I honestly haven't taken apart a stock LS1 they appear like they are as they extend pass the cylinder bores from the bottom so much that they had to be modified to allow clearance for the rod bolts.

Quick Reply: Piston Sleeve Wear