Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

F1A question (got a lot louder)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F1A question (got a lot louder)

Ive got a F1A with the house of boost cog and a fairly common ebay fmic setup on my lt1 WS6. Well i was driving earlier, and i noticed a very loud hissing noise, like 2x as loud as it is allready. Would a pipe that got blown off be loud as hell or what? I would think so..its got the standard proflow valve on it and its possible it could have broken and stuck open..i dont know im heading out of town tonight and wont be able to get underneath her, but from what I could see all the usual pipe clamps looked fine, no holes i could find in the rubber spots of the ic piping either. Any insight?
Old 08-13-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I looked under the hood and noticed that the cog pulley hit the idler pulley and put a few small grooves in it..the guys at house of boost said ati now makes a cog idler pulley with a smaller shoulder on it so ill have to get that..if that threw things out of balance could that explain the increase.in head unit noise? If they get low on fluid do they get louder?
Old 08-14-2010, 06:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by My2kz28
I looked under the hood and noticed that the cog pulley hit the idler pulley and put a few small grooves in it..the guys at house of boost said ati now makes a cog idler pulley with a smaller shoulder on it so ill have to get that..if that threw things out of balance could that explain the increase.in head unit noise? If they get low on fluid do they get louder?
Yes they can get louder if run too low of fluid. Hopefully you didn't do this. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-15-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im coming up on 6000 miles and checked the oil level in the blower was ok and it had fluid in it, buts haard to get a good reading because it seems it goes all over the indicator when you pull the level wire out..will change oil today and see if thats it...car hasnt run more than a minute or so once it started making racket, but we will see
Old 08-15-2010, 11:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how high on the dip stick should oil be?
And do prochargers burn oil?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by fatmat80
how high on the dip stick should oil be?
And do prochargers burn oil?
The dipstick has a full mark on it. ProChargers do not really burn oil, although with the rpm the gears inside the blower see, pressure can build up and the dipstick screw is also a vent. A very slight loss of oil can occur out of this vent. The oil is clear and very thin, and normally you never see it. As with anything mechanical that has an oil supply, you should check the oil periodically. Bob

Old 08-16-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the info bob..
Old 08-18-2010, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

After checking the oil I found a small pencil eraser sized mound of metal shards on the drain plug magnet. Im assuming that when the blower and idler pulley made contact it threw it out of wack..With 4 oz of brand new oil it is still extremely loud. Im going to send the unit to ATI for an inspection. Any guesses what they will find? What would a rebuild for something like this cost?
Old 08-19-2010, 05:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by My2kz28
After checking the oil I found a small pencil eraser sized mound of metal shards on the drain plug magnet. Im assuming that when the blower and idler pulley made contact it threw it out of wack..With 4 oz of brand new oil it is still extremely loud. Im going to send the unit to ATI for an inspection. Any guesses what they will find? What would a rebuild for something like this cost?
I'm guessing it took out a bearing, it won't be too expensive if nothing touched down. Bob

Quick Reply: F1A question (got a lot louder)