Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Can blown turbo cause low oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Can blown turbo cause low oil pressure?

I have around 4000 or so miles on my 408.Never really had a problem with oil pressure.I have slp pump with high pressure spring but never really bothered to look closely at pressure readings. Never had a oil light till day or so ago.
I got the car hot it was very hot out around 100 and had air on in town and even with my big rad,high flow water pump etc it still tends to overheat on really hot days with air on in the city. Hit about 250 and noticed oil pressure was low like near red at idle still going up though when you gave it gas.I shut it down. No boilover.
Checked car again later on in day but same thing. Starts off with reasonable pressure then it just drops and drops after few minutes.I was running 10/40 but figured from being hot it was done so changed it out to 15/50 mobile one,new filter of course. I checked oil for any sign of bearings and nothing,no visible metal and no funny noises from engine.
The 15/50 didn't seem to increase oil pressure at all.
So wondering if turbo was shot have two of course and they seem to still be boosting but can a blown turbo cause big loss of oil pressure especially as things heat up. Since have two turbos one can cover for the other one. I haven't noticed any big clouds of smoke out the back either. I will likely pull off the intake pipes and check the turbos for shaft play and visible oil and will be checking
/maybe replacing oil pressure sender and will try to get ahold of mechanical
to check it.
Can I not bypass oil thru the turbos for a few minutes at idle to eliminate them from possible cause for the low pressure or is that a real bad idea? I have not installed my new LG turbos and wont until figure out if this oil pressure issue is real and if it is fix it first of course.

I haven't checked oring yet and understand some other ideas are cam retainer gasket.As said the oil pressure was fine until just day or two ago.
Would have thought if it was oring then it would have been like this from beginning and ditto on the cam retainer gasket.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No, unless it is actually leaking oil. If your oil level is correct, then it's likely a bearing problem.

Quick Reply: Can blown turbo cause low oil pressure?