Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharged 408 build, opinions welcome.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Procharged 408 build, opinions welcome.

Hey guys, now that I got my blower and serpentine setups configured, I wanted to run my setup by the gurus and see what's what before I pull the trigger. (Thanks to Bob @ Brute Speed and John @ Speartech)

Engine is an LQ4, procharged and intercooled, for a 99 S10 pickup. Engine is a 408ci backed by a Viper-spec T56 converted for LS duty. 9.0:1, forged rods and pistons (Callies and Wiseco) on a Callies crank. I'm lookin for 600 rwhp. Camshaft is still up in the air, leanin towards contactin Pat G for a custom grind. Heads will be 317s with dual springs, titanium retainers, etc. I mainly have two questions concerning power.

I have purchased a 12 bolt to power the combo, but am worried as a good friend of mine thinks the 12 bolt might not be enough. This will be a street vehicle, with occasional trips to the dragstrip, and I'll be launching it on slicks. The 12 will be built, posi'd, axled, and regeared with Strange and Richmond components. Do you guys think the 12 bolt is enough, or should I look into an M9?

Second, is there anything special I need to do to prep the heads for 600 horses? I've heard several on here running stock port 317s on boost and loving it, and I thought that a performance rebuild was all that was needed. Correct me if you think I need porting, polishing, etc.

That's it guys, hit me with all the opinions you can muster, and thank you in advance for your 2 cents.

-Josh-

Last edited by Slamdsdime; 09-20-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:40 PM
11 Second Club

procharged 408 in an s10 thats man **** right there reg cab? xtreme?? sounds bad ***...

good luck with getting the info..

something else you could look in to is the ford8.8 out of an explorer... almost bolts right in from what i hear and can build them almost bullet proof...

can pick one up cheap also...
Old 09-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Thanks man! Yeah, truck is a standard cab shortbed, should be pretty lethal!

Also, just got sold on water/meth injection, so add that to the list. Reason I'm so worried about the 12 bolt is cuz I'll be launchin it with a fully adjustable 4 link on slicks, its gotta be able to take quite a beatin! 8.8 is a solid rear for sure, but if I do change from the 12, I want the M9. So many guys here have been launching it with slicks for a crazy number of passes in several cars and never had an issue. Plus, with the right M9, it bolts right up to my setup!

-Josh-
Old 09-18-2010, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

its goin to be a pricey piece but wont have to worry about it..

i have wanted to do a lsx swap on a s10 for ever was goin to go turbo but i broke the motor in my GTO so its getting the turbo motor now.. its goin to get dangerous

good luck man!
Old 09-18-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm running the 317's untouched with 918 springs on my 347/t76 combo. And I made 582rwhp/ 577rwtq through a4. You should have no problems hitting 600.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Nice numbers SSilver! Mind if I ask what cam yer running? Debating between 918's and dual PRCs...Just depends on the cam I decide on.

Also, how much psi are you pushin? Was thinkin around 10-ish with the Procharger.

-Josh-
Old 09-19-2010, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

the speed inc TU1 cam, lopes pretty good considering how mild i think it is. if i could figure out how to put up videos from my iphone i would post em up lol
Old 09-19-2010, 07:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Slamdsdime
Hey guys, now that I got my blower and serpentine setups configured, I wanted to run my setup by the gurus and see what's what before I pull the trigger. (Thanks to Bob @ Brute Speed and John @ Speartech)

Engine is an LQ4, procharged and intercooled, for a 99 S10 pickup. Engine is a 408ci backed by a Viper-spec T56 converted for LS duty. 9.0:1, forged rods and pistons (Callies and Wiseco) on a stock crank. I'm lookin for 600 rwhp. Camshaft is still up in the air, leanin towards contactin Pat G for a custom grind. Heads will be 317s with dual springs, titanium retainers, etc. I mainly have two questions concerning power.

I have purchased a 12 bolt to power the combo, but am worried as a good friend of mine thinks the 12 bolt might not be enough. This will be a street vehicle, with occasional trips to the dragstrip, and I'll be launching it on slicks. The 12 will be built, posi'd, axled, and regeared with Strange and Richmond components. Do you guys think the 12 bolt is enough, or should I look into an M9?

Second, is there anything special I need to do to prep the heads for 600 horses? I've heard several on here running stock port 317s on boost and loving it, and I thought that a performance rebuild was all that was needed. Correct me if you think I need porting, polishing, etc.

That's it guys, hit me with all the opinions you can muster, and thank you in advance for your 2 cents.

-Josh-
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-M9-...t-to-Order.htm
Josh, check this link out, the M9 has an option to fit your S10. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 09-19-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

how did you get a 408 with a stock crank?
Old 09-20-2010, 01:05 AM
Teching In

Quote: how did you get a 408 with a stock crank?

Wow, sorry about that, I have this build separated into two stages. Stage 1 is stock LQ4, carbed, stage 2 is procharger, 408. I simply mixed the information in my original post. Wanted to make sure the 12 bolt will handle stage 2 of the build. The motor will be running any day now, but am already buying parts for the upgrades. Fixed the original post to reflect accurate parts.

Bob, I saw the option on the Moser site, but want to know if you guys think the 12 bolt, built, will handle the procharger. If the general consensus is that it will hold, I'll use it. If you guys disagree (people with much more experience in the subject than I have) then the M9, built to bolt in the S10, it is. I am NOT one of these guys that like to use stuff that'll likely break, and then buy the good stuff. I'd much rather do it once, and do it right.

-Josh-

Last edited by Slamdsdime; 09-20-2010 at 01:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Procharged 408 build, opinions welcome.