Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

In Search of More Power (and a Bomb-Proof motor)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default In Search of More Power (and a Bomb-Proof motor)

DISCLAIMER: ANY TECHNICAL MISTAKES OR OUTRIGHT LIES ARE SOLELY THE FAULT OF THE AUTHOR

Well, after being deployed once again I decided to finally build a “bomb-proof” motor for my GEN-TT powered GTO.

I looked around at several builders (Texas Speed, HKE, etc) and finally went with AES out of Illinois. I ended up going with a LQ9 Iron Block (ends up being 385ci). Here are some of the supporting pieces:

- Compstar C-series 3.825" stroke crankshaft (forged and nitride)
- 6.100" Compstar H beams
- AES 605 short block assembly and blueprint race motor
- Blueprinted and matched parts
- Callies Compstar C-Series Crankshaft 3.825" Stroke 5140 forged
- Scat LS 6.100" H beam connecting rod set w/ ARP bolts
- CP Bullet Series Bullet Series Forged pistons set -15 dish 4.005" x 1.240" CH
(includes Hellfire rings)
- Clevite Main Bearings - LS1 P Series
- Clevite Rod Bearing - SBC V Series
- ARP 2345608 ARP Main Stud Kit - LS1
- AlkyControl Progressive Kit
- Turbo Cam from Ed Curtis
- AFR 225 Heads (72cc .660)

Here's the bare block:

Some misc parts:

Starting to come together:

Empty Engine Bay Awaiting New Heart:

The installer is a guy that is known on the boards, Tom Tiberio. If you are in the Tampa area (or anywhere in Florida), this is the guy you want working on your car. Tom is the mechanic that you send Christmas cards to every year to keep in his good graces. He knows his stuff and is extremely **** and detail oriented when it comes to working on your car. I have found my mechanic and couldn’t be happier.

He took care of a bunch of minor issues:
- New clamps throughout turbo piping
- Replaced fishing tackle box in trunk with real honest-to-goodness battery box w/cut off switch)
- Discussed the advantages of electric water pump (which was leaking with less than 1k on it) and replaced with OEM
- Showed me that having a ground strap was pretty important for the electrical system and car in general (and definitely for the oil return lines)
- Replaced above mentioned oil return lines
- Installed Wideband
- Remedied issue with driver side turbo and its replacement
- Dozens of other things that he fixed because he wasn’t comfortable with it or he could do it better (he’s that kind of guy)

Once Tom got engine and turbo system back into the car he took it to Jeremy Formato for some tuning. I don’t have the sheets with me (I’ve since returned to Iraq) but I believe the numbers are 525 rwhp and 550 lbs tq. This tune was done in the heat and humidity of Florida in August. I’m sure that once the cooler temps arrive the car will find a few more hp. I was hoping for a bit more, to be honest, but the turbos are now holding the system back. The engine with the new heads is just outflowing the turbos. I’m looking at remedying that this upcoming spring.

Driving the car is amazing. It is a monster in the lower rpms and pulls very strong until about 6k and immediately drops off. First is useless as the tires are spinning from the start when driven in anger. Second is barely useable. Third is a blast!

I didn’t get to do too much driving due to the fact that I had limited time because I was home on leave from Iraq. I will be returning in DEC for about 4 weeks and have to decide on whether to ship it to Germany or not (leaning on keeping it stateside). I can’t wait to drive the **** out of this car when I get back!

In my limited time with the car, the only “kill” I had was against a v6 mustang. Lol. Oh well. Maybe I’ll find better prey next time.

I got to meet Doc as well and was really hoping to have him take me out in the GTO as I could definitely learn some tips on driving a high hp monster (especially in manual). He’s a great guy and has a beautiful ride(s) as well. Maybe next time! Tom and his wife Tracy were extremely helpful and kept me informed of the build while I was in Iraq. Couldn’t deal with a nicer couple. Fraser at AES produced and I couldn’t be happier with the motor.

Yes, I realized I have made the cardinal sin of not taking a picture of the new motor in the car. I suck.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hopefully fraser will chime in,

great ride bro, and thanks for your service!

Quick Reply: In Search of More Power (and a Bomb-Proof motor)