Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Excessive Blow By

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Excessive Blow By

Well, I believe I hurt my engine (6.0L / MP T-76) the other day. I was trying to dial in my tune @ about 12 psi on the street but couldn't get my AFRs correct. When I got back to my house I notice that I have lots of smoke coming out of the valve covers and dipstick tube. The engine seems to be running ok other than a slight miss.

I searched for PCV valves on these engines and as far as I can tell the engine just vents through valve covers correct? My guess is I have hurt a piston or at least the rings. Since it may already be toast but seems to running okay should I keep going or tear it down? I think I know the answer but figured I would post to see if anybody else has run into this problem. Thanks!
Old 11-08-2010, 11:15 AM
11 Second Club

alot of people use a catch can when uping the boost on ls engines. im not very experience with that subject as far as how everything is ran, but i know its a problem.
dont be so quick to assume your engine is toast though
Old 11-08-2010, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue with blow by. I capped everything off and ran a line from each valve cover to a vented catch can. I haven't had any problems since then.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

I need to remind myself in these situations to KISS. If you have run the car on boost for some time without this problem then I would guess the increased boost is pulling more oil into the motor and a catch can setup is a good move. I have heard guys who have taken out pistons will have the dip stick blow out part way. If it doesn't clear up, do a leak down test. Do you have the vent hose to the side of the throttle body blocked off?
Old 11-08-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

If it didnt have much at all before and now it has alot, you probably hurt the motor. Pull the plugs, and do a compression/leakdown test.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
If it didnt have much at all before and now it has alot, you probably hurt the motor. Pull the plugs, and do a compression/leakdown test.
x2, sounds like #7 lost a ringland
Old 11-08-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I third the motion of a compression/leakdown test, this will tell you if the motor is ok. If its good, there is a sponsor on here, Lashway Motorsports, that make a catch can built for boost with built in check valves. setup properly, it will pull vaccum on the crankcase all the way through the rpm range, regardless of what the induction side is doing. good insurance
Old 11-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Mine was starting to do the same thing, installed the catch can and check valve.. Eventually lost ringland on #2 a few hundred miles later.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by impatient 1
x2, sounds like #7 lost a ringland
+1.....
Old 11-09-2010, 08:18 AM
On The Tree

So I plan on doing a compression test to confirm my suspicions. Do y'all think if all I did was damage the ring land I will be able to get by with a cylinder hone? I don't want go through getting the entire block machined and all that comes with that. If I can get by with a fresh set of forged pistons and rods that should be plenty for my goals. I'm just trying to build something that will hold about 15-18 psi of boost and still be fun to drive.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rockoosi1
So I plan on doing a compression test to confirm my suspicions. Do y'all think if all I did was damage the ring land I will be able to get by with a cylinder hone? I don't want go through getting the entire block machined and all that comes with that. If I can get by with a fresh set of forged pistons and rods that should be plenty for my goals. I'm just trying to build something that will hold about 15-18 psi of boost and still be fun to drive.
that will all come down to finding out how bad the walls are IF you have to tear it down. Nobody can answer that without seeing if it is damaged
Old 11-09-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

Cheap and dirty rebuilds and 15 pounds of boost are not a good combination.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rockoosi1
if the cylinders arent hurt, either back off the boost and replace the piston/rod combo in that cylinder only with a pull out piston/rod offa ebay or you can drop a grand on some hbeams and diamond pistons, beat on it like it owes ya money 625.00 for forged ls1 pistons(overbore'n to 125 over) and set of decent hbeams in the 375.00 range are pretty easy to find.

Quick Reply: Excessive Blow By