LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction-9/)
-   -   Turbo GTM (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1354336-turbo-gtm.html)

fuzzyjk 11-17-2010 09:20 AM

Turbo GTM

I am currently building a Factory Five GTM. For those who don't know it is a 2300lbs car that uses LS based engines. Most are using LS1/6 or LS2/3 with some LS7. I am going outside the box.....

I will be using a "weak" (not my words) L33 5.3 with a sleeper cam, LS6 intake and mild ported 799 heads. Now what I want to do is run a single small turbo that will put around 425-450 to the ground. I am trying to stay around $4300.00 or less for the turbo parts (I want to prove $5,000.00 will get you a monster). I am guessing around $2000 for custom piping, so that only leaves about $2300.00 for parts. I know cheap and reliable are not friends.

Looking for ideas. Thx

JAX04 11-17-2010 09:32 AM

first off, :pics:

now that thas out of the way, a little more :drool: and some :headbang:

on that motor, you could easily go with the bugdet master power turbos, they will easily get you to your goal, but are you serious about only looking for 425 to 450??

master t70 will easily hit that, but id think future on that, staying budget of course, and go with the t76 from them.

or drop a grand and get a tc unit from turbonetics, small packaging with a nice bang. lol

best of luck, and get some pics of that GTM up, so i can live vicariously through you!!

93formto98T/A 11-17-2010 11:09 AM

Not bashing FI in any way but honestly your goals would be reached more efficiently and affordably with a 382/402/408/416 NA motor. An LS block and stroker crank is MUCH cheaper then doing a one off turbo system, also many fewer bugs to deal with...

Tiago 11-17-2010 02:30 PM

for that little power it would be a waste to do FI, stick to NA.

I am building a TT GTM with a friend of mine and we are shooting for a little more power :D

fuzzyjk 11-17-2010 03:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
1). As I learn the car, I will adjust the boost to match my comfort.

2). 425-450 at the wheels is 510-540 at the crank. in current form the work done on the L33 will yeild about 320 to the ground.

3). At 2400lbs with 540 crank HP the car has a power to weight of 4.4lbs. Thats equal to 800 hp in a 3400lbs Corvette. The ZR1 is "only" 5.3lbs power to weight.

4). LOVE the sound.

5). Bragging rights that my little 5.3 can stomp a LS7.

So can I hear some more suggestions. Thx for the imput so far! I would like to hear more from the people that have already been there done that. Since I have no idea where to start. Thanx for the help.

JAX04 11-17-2010 04:39 PM

i hear ya, and i do agree that the power your after is easy to obtain from the motor, but i more agree with you, i love turbos :)

to each his own, if you wanna do it, do it. if you got the change to make it happen and it will make YOU happy, then go for it bro.

HydroStream6 11-17-2010 06:28 PM

A small T60 would easily make what you're looking for and they can be had on here for like $400 in the Classifieds (stock Garrett unit from an STS system). They are also tiny physically speaking and last forever if not over spun. It would spool pretty much instantly, which may or may not be to your liking in a very light car. On the other hand it would be a lot of fun since it's a stick shift.

If you're not worried about spool as much and can spend more money, you could get something in the 70-75mm range with a larger turbine that won't choke up on top as bad as a P trim Garrett or Masterpower unit. It would spool slower though. Think a TC unit with an F1 turbine or a Precision unit, but then you're talking up near $1k.

Lots of choices that will get you to your goals. It's all about how you want it to behave.

fuzzyjk 11-17-2010 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by HydroStream6 (Post 14133671)
A small T60 would easily make what you're looking for and they can be had on here for like $400 in the Classifieds (stock Garrett unit from an STS system). They are also tiny physically speaking and last forever if not over spun. It would spool pretty much instantly, which may or may not be to your liking in a very light car. On the other hand it would be a lot of fun since it's a stick shift.

If you're not worried about spool as much and can spend more money, you could get something in the 70-75mm range with a larger turbine that won't choke up on top as bad as a P trim Garrett or Masterpower unit. It would spool slower though. Think a TC unit with an F1 turbine or a Precision unit, but then you're talking up near $1k.

Lots of choices that will get you to your goals. It's all about how you want it to behave.

Spool time unimportant, as I won't be getting into her until I get used to an ultra light car. My last car was a 2004 E55 Renntech but weighted 4100lbs, went real well (about 580hp) but heavy as a F150.

At 6lbs boost will I get to the 550FWHP level (that is a 185hp jump over NA) or will more boost be needed? In the GTM because it is mid engine and the engine compartment space/airflow is limited I am not sure where the intercooler would go if I wanted to run higher boost.

HydroStream6 11-17-2010 07:24 PM

I don't think 6lbs will make 550fwhp on a 5.3 but who knows.

Assuming you have a decent budget, I'd spring for a TC unit as it will provide some room to grow if you choose and provide a nice compromise between turbine flow and spool. For low boost, if you don't have room for an IC, you could just run a meth/water injection setup.

fuzzyjk 11-17-2010 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by HydroStream6 (Post 14133948)
I don't think 6lbs will make 550fwhp on a 5.3 but who knows.

Assuming you have a decent budget, I'd spring for a TC unit as it will provide some room to grow if you choose and provide a nice compromise between turbine flow and spool. For low boost, if you don't have room for an IC, you could just run a meth/water injection setup.

Budget is 5K maybe little more. Thanx for the input!!!! I will look into those brands. Forgot about water/meth mix, that will work!

Grr 11-17-2010 11:08 PM

if you want an awesome turbo that will do 550whp and have instant spool, find a nice 67-70mm GT-Q

skinnies 11-17-2010 11:36 PM

I wouldn't call the L33 weak, I went the times in my sig with mine with a TC78 and 18lbs, it's taking a beating. I'm swapping this motor into another project that will get probably 10k miles on it next year and should be just shy of 700rwhp.

smokinHawk 11-18-2010 07:12 AM

only thing i would worry about is breaking the driveline. dont you have to use a weak porsche tranny or something that tends to break over 500rwt.

98SuperchargedLs1 11-18-2010 08:15 AM

sounds like a fun project.. cant wait to see it done

fuzzyjk 11-18-2010 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by smokinHawk (Post 14135609)
only thing i would worry about is breaking the driveline. dont you have to use a weak porsche tranny or something that tends to break over 500rwt.

You are correct!

The G50-01 is the transaxle I am using, which is good to about 400tq in a 2300lbs car (with the side plate) but will live a short life at 500tq. One of the reasons to keep the hp down at first. If I like the finished product and get addicted to the boost I will turn up the wick and spring for the more durable Mendeola. FF5 was running a G50 in there test mule and the weaker G96 in there LS7 car (505hp/470tq)

G50= $3500
Mendeola= $8500

Gordon0652 11-18-2010 10:01 AM

Whos going to build your G50...? Thats going to be $$$$$

fuzzyjk 11-18-2010 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Gordon0652 (Post 14136090)
Whos going to build your G50...? Thats going to be $$$$$

Not much to do to make them work in the GTM. Invert and new vent/plugs. Kit comes with new slave, fly wheel adapter plates and axcles. One does need to buy 993 CV's though.

abbaskhan 11-18-2010 11:40 AM

we all know no project comes in on budget so why dont you just buy a forged motor and call it a day... it can be done "near" 5 k and you will have room to grow

theres a link below of a budget short block just throw some l92 heads, a decent cam, and a truck intake on it and your good to go... price will be "near" 5 k if you do the work yourself and on motor you wil make atleast 480rwhp

buy some truck manifolds and run a MPt76 turbo you might be a few hundred over budget but you have TONS of room to grow and you will make over 600rwhp to start with low boost

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...er-3599-a.html

fuzzyjk 11-18-2010 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by abbaskhan (Post 14136464)
we all know no project comes in on budget so why dont you just buy a forged motor and call it a day... it can be done "near" 5 k and you will have room to grow

theres a link below of a budget short block just throw some l92 heads, a decent cam, and a truck intake on it and your good to go... price will be "near" 5 k if you do the work yourself and on motor you wil make atleast 480rwhp

buy some truck manifolds and run a MPt76 turbo you might be a few hundred over budget but you have TONS of room to grow and you will make over 600rwhp to start with low boost

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...er-3599-a.html

Iron block and mid engine, ultra light car does not play nicely together.

Seems everyone thinks N/A is the way for me to go. At what power level did it make sence for you to go F/I? My trans will limit the power I twist through it, but the tubo whine in an exotic bodied car seams fitting. F1 with a little nascar thrown in. :headbang:

1fast bird 11-18-2010 06:57 PM

450hp at the wheels will be absolutely awesome in a car like that!!! Turbos and exotic cars go hand and hand....

Anyway,for your power levels an mpt70 would be about perfect for your budget. Would easy meet your goals, and be a ton of fun for the money in a 2300# car. If the transaxle won't handle alot of power then that turbo would be fine. As far as fitment, if you use the mpt 70 and decide to upgrade to a tc76-tc78. The tc units are physically smaller so you won't need to worry about fitting them in place of the mpt.

Good luck with it! Would love to have a car like that