Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Will mustang procharger interchange with chevys?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 04:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will mustang procharger interchange with chevys?

It always seems like I can find more prochargers from the ford boys than the chevys...I guess they need the boost to keep up Anyways, I found an f1 procharger off a mustang that I'd like to buy, but I need to make sure the lsx brackets will still bolt up to it. Sounds like a dumb question because I'd imagine the only difference with the kits would be brackets/piping/hardware/etc, but before I drop the coin I figured I'd double check with you guys. It's coming off a fox body...I have a pictures as well as the serial number if any of that will help. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

bump

I'm kinda antsy here and wanting to buy the procharger asap...just need to know if it'll work with my lq4. It's also standard rotation. And I did search before posting, but couldn't anything relevant to my question.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

Old 01-10-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call bob and see if the serial number matches the one on the kit that would be used for your application...should be fairly simple
Old 01-10-2011, 03:25 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LS engines in the 4th gen fbodies, and C5& C6 corvettes use reverse rotation blowers. The GTO's and 5th gen camaros use standard rotation blowers.

For a reverse rotation blower, the pulley will be facing the back of the car, and the inlet will be facing forward.

For standard rotation blowers, the pulley will be facing forward, and the inlet will face the back of the car.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

My application is a Datsun, so I can't use too many references on here. I think a reverse rotation would work better with my setup, but I'd really need to see it in my engine bay first. I'm sure I can make a standard work though.

BUT, a procharger is still the same procharger for any make, correct? Like, the rear housing doesn't have any different holes drilled for brackets of different makes, they're all the same housings for each make, right?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:45 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, since you are obviously gonna have to fab your own bracket no matter what, you may as well get it if its a good deal. Just know that you need to make sure you're facing it the correct direction. So if its a standard rotation, you need to make sure the pulley is forward.

Bottom line is that the head unit itself is a huge air pump. It doesnt know if its pumping 2000cfm into a mustang, a camaro, a fiat, or in your case, a datsun. You are gonna get a shitload of airflow from that sucker. Just make sure you can fit it, and your engine and drivetrain can take the abuse!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, I know the procharger works the same way independent of the make...I'm pretty familiar with boost (thought it's mostly from turbos) . I just needed to make sure each procharger head unit is universal with the make...in that they didn't build the casing or design it any differently. I don't understand why I can't use the lsx bracket...in fact, I just bought the SDCE bracket from VIPERKLR. I figured it would work well as long as it clears the strut tower.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Default Rotation

To decipher rotation direction, always look at the procharger with the pulley side towards you and the impeller side away. With the volute outlet housing at the 12 o'clock position, or at least imagine it rotated this way, if it points to the left, it's standard, if it points to the right, it's reverse rotation. Like Chad said the reverse is made for the J-bracket in the F-body because of it's location in the car. It may or may not work in your application, but to use the J-bracket, your charger will mount to the radiator side of the bracket with the pulley facing rearward, this may or may not agree with your cars steering components, etc., but that is a bad *** supercharger never the less. Look at Prochargers website and you will see how the "clocking" must be for the oil slinger to be in the correct position while in the bracket or you could cause major damage to your supercharger from improper oiling. We had to have an F-2 re-clocked to work on a 2000 camaro, gear-driven, but almost didn't realize this after initial fitment. Would not have been good!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

Great info, thanks for the help. I just ran into another problem - I'm not sure if the lsx SDCE bracket / tensioner setup that I just bought will work. Is it interchangeable between standard / reverse rotation head units?
Old 01-10-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The F1R's are all the same housing just standard and reverse rotation. The bracket is where the differences come into play, the bracket you bought should be for a reverse rotation head unit. Have you looked at the transplant bracket? It may work better than trying to cram it in front of the engine with the SDCE bracket allthough it may place the head unit to far over to clear the shock tower.

x2 Give Bob at Brutespeed a call he can most likely tell you what will or won't work on your car and he has been great help to me and has lots of experience with procharger and has great prices!
Old 01-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I was looking at the transplant bracket and that was the first thing that came to mind. It sticks pretty far out there and I'd have to wait until the engine was installed so I could measure everything out and make sure it'd fit. Looking at other pics of the SDCE setup I don't see any way for a standard rotation to fit on there. Crap...
Old 01-11-2011, 05:23 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

http://www.procharger.com/pdf/appGuide.pdf

Page 46 (actual page number) in the above application guide shows what fits from one vehicle to another. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 01-11-2011, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

That F1R is standard rotation 2:00 clocking. It would be the correct rotation and clocking for the LS Transplant brackets, but completely wrong for the LS1 F-body brackets.

Quick Reply: Will mustang procharger interchange with chevys?