Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Adding Turbo To LSX Swap -TELL ME WHAT TO BUY! PICS ADDED OF BUILD

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adding Turbo To LSX Swap -TELL ME WHAT TO BUY! PICS ADDED OF BUILD

Just as the title says, I put a LS motor in my 69 nova last year and now need more power cause it is boring...just another lsx swap car...

So, I am going to what more car guys do and blow my tax return (and then some I am sure) on upgrading the car.

The goal is: 600+ rear wheel HP.

I have a strong running 5.7 LS1 with an LS6 intake backed by a T56 and 12 Bolt with 4.10 gears. It has an in-tank Walbro 255 with a Vette regulator.

I am going to make new stainless headers for the front and mount the turbo on the passenger side.

So what turbo should I get (looking at Master Power) and what size (A/R, mm, etc)

Also, what would I need for injectors, springs, cam, fuel, new intake???

Last edited by Chicago TDP; 04-07-2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: update
Old 01-26-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Master Power T76 with the Q trim turbine will get you to 600rwhp. Master Power is limited on the exhuast side for making much more power than 6-700rwhp. Im using a MP GT45 with a 69mm compressor (small) with a large turbine (88mm) on a 6.0. It made right at 600 to the wheels.

Add another Walbro for the fuel system. Boost referenced regulator is a good idea also. Run the second pump off a Hobbs switch installed from a vacuum source and wired to a second fuel pump relay.
If you want E85 then dual walbros will still be ok, but you'll need around 95lb injectors. Yes, some have made it with 80's but its nice to have a little room for growth.

60lb injectors on reg gas.

Many people use LS6 cams (me included). Idles like stock though, so if you want some thump get a custom one spec'd. Lots of guys use Patriot Gold dual springs. They are kind of overkill with milder cams. Im using beehive 918 Comps at 15psi no problems. You will also want some good pushrods. Im using 7.4 Comps.

You will prob want to change those gears to something a little milder as turbos work with load and you will just rev through your useable powerband. 3.42's are good.

You can get by with a Tial 38 wastegate but if you plan on running low boost a lot then spend the money on a larger unit in the 45-48mm range.

Tial 50 BOV is the common one to use.

Dont worry about the intake, LS6 is plenty good for that power goal.

Nova's are tight in the front, but do whatever you have to do to get a decent intercooler up front. Im using a 6" vertical flow unit from Treadstone.

Good luck with your project.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Make sure you have a competent tuner if your leaving a stock shortblock. Id recommend replacing the pistons and rods if your going to lean on it a bit, which you know you want to!
Old 01-26-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great info!!! Thank you

Your Nova is what really got me going on the turbo kick.

I would like to use E85, my friend runs it in his GN and I am very impressed with it.

I will have the car tuned for sure. I know the dangers with just throwing injectors and boost on a car and I do not like the idea of eating motors!

My plan right now is to buy some 317 heads and re-do them, maybe polish them up and get them ready to bolt on.

Also, I will be ordering the a turbo just like you spec'd and I will order up the tubing that I will need to start fabing the turbo headers.

I will be moving some things around in the front so that I can run a good size interercooler.

Adam
Old 01-26-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chicago TDP
So what turbo should I get (looking at Master Power) and what size (A/R, mm, etc)

Also, what would I need for injectors, springs, cam, fuel, new intake???

Turbo - T76
Injectors - 80lb
Fuel - Dual Walbro's
Cam - Custom Spec'd (you would probably get a kit so the springs and etc.. will come with it) or you can run a Ls6.
Intake - Ls6 is fine for your goals.

Good luck and make a build thread!
Old 01-26-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What about changing the heads out to 317's? Worth it?

Also, what A/R and or exhaust housing size???

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What about changing the heads out to 317's? Worth it?

Also, what A/R and or exhaust housing size???

Thanks!
If your changing to 317's you will be dropping compression, so the answer would be yes. I'm pretty sure the .96 AR would work fine, but don't quote me on that.

Is this on the stock bottom end?
Old 01-26-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ReApEr75
If your changing to 317's you will be dropping compression, so the answer would be yes. I'm pretty sure the .96 AR would work fine, but don't quote me on that.

Is this on the stock bottom end?
Yep, stock bottom end...

If Uncle Sam sends me good money, which he might, I was thinking about putting a 6.0 together too.

Oh, and I need an LS6 oil pump with a lil porting too right?
Old 01-26-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

While the heads are off, be sure to put on a set of LS9 head gaskets, and ARP studs. E85 with a good tune up will lift heads long before you will lose a rod/piston with stock gaskets/bolts.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, stock bottom end...
That stock bottom end is not going to like you very much after some 600hp driving. It will def need some rod bolts or better yet, new rods if you can. Katech or ARP bolts would be fine.
If you get a 6liter, throw good rod bolts in there as well.
Post some pics when you start getting parts, good luck with the build.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OKAY, it has started.

I bought:

MP T70 Q Trim, .96 AR
Tial 50 mm BOV
Tial 38 mm WG

317 heads..

Next I am going to be buying all of the stainless for the headers...

One question on that is I keep seeing that the suggestion is made to keep the crossover at 2" ID...If I build log style manifolds, that means the main log needs to be 2", right???

Adam
Old 02-19-2011, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

I think you should have went with the MP T76 allowing you room for growth. Most of the MP T70's i've seen on here are around the 500rwhp-575rwhp. I think there are a few 600rwhp cars with that turbo. Just a suggestion.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OKAY,

Here is what I have so far:

MP T70, .96 AR
Tial 38 MM WG
Tial 50 MM BOV
1/2" stainless 304 flanges
Massive box full of schedule 10 304 stainless elbows to build logs
ARP head studs
317 heads, 3k miles (going to put Patriot springs on them)
32X12X3 intercooler

I am looking to get:

New push rods
LS6 cam
Bung for the O2 sensor
Another Walbro Pump for the tank
Current -6 supply will be used as return
Adding a -8 supply line
Need a boost reference fuel pressure regulator
Need a new fuel filter
Need new injectors (for E85)
Need new clutch (not sure on this one yet...)
Software for programming.
Return and feed for turbo oil
LS6 ported oil pump?

I will be using this turbo for this season and then next year, build a 6.0 and a larger T4 style turbo...

Any input/recommendations on the needs, let me know!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Make sure to use good stainless element fuel filters with the ethanol such as these from Magnafuel.
http://www.magnafuel.com/products/ac...ters/index.htm

Fore makes a nice regulator

FIC has some high impedence 90-100lb injectors
Old 03-01-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'd go with a s400 turbo, way more upgradeable.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
Make sure to use good stainless element fuel filters with the ethanol such as these from Magnafuel.
http://www.magnafuel.com/products/ac...ters/index.htm

Fore makes a nice regulator

FIC has some high impedence 90-100lb injectors
Will do!!!

Is -8 supply and -6 return overkill??
Old 03-02-2011, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Definately not overkill. I wish I would have went with -10 feed and -8 return to support future upgrades. -8 and -6 fine for your goals.
Dont forget the 2 bar map sensor, hobbs switch for the second pump, pcv or vent system.
Race Parts Solutions has lots of stuff, including some nice black braided hose and fittings.
Check out these guys if you want teflon hose to avoid replacing it down the road and cure the fuel permeation.
http://www.anfittingsdirect.com/stpg...id=ptfe_teflon
Old 03-02-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
Definately not overkill. I wish I would have went with -10 feed and -8 return to support future upgrades. -8 and -6 fine for your goals.
Dont forget the 2 bar map sensor, hobbs switch for the second pump, pcv or vent system.
Race Parts Solutions has lots of stuff, including some nice black braided hose and fittings.
Check out these guys if you want teflon hose to avoid replacing it down the road and cure the fuel permeation.
http://www.anfittingsdirect.com/stpg...id=ptfe_teflon
I will get that other stuff.

The vent system I am not familiar with....help me out here...

So, am I going to have issues with my braided line in a few months after running E85???
Old 03-02-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

You need to decide if you want a simple vent system or working pcv system. There are lots of different ways to do it and lots of threads on here with lots of types of systems.
I use a PCV system. The benefits of the PCV system are better ring seal and pulling contaminents out of the oil. If change your oil all the time, a vent system works fine too, but just a breather on the oil fill tends to make an oily mess.

LS6 valley cover to check valve to sealed catch can to intake vaccum port. This provides the suction side of the system and the check valve closes under boost to avoid pressurizing the crankcase

Both valve covers to a vented catch can. This provides venting under boost as well as fresh air intake.

I built the catch cans from 2" PVC pipe using a universal push it filter on the vented one. I also use screens and very coarse steel wool to "catch" any oil inside and make it collect in the bottom. Petcocks on the bottom for drains. Sorry no pics.

Any braided line that is not teflon or similiar will allow a small amount of fuel vapors permeate through it. Some people get a fuel smell in the garage. After a few years its junk, most people dont replace it until a hose splits open, hopefully not spraying on a ignition source. The price of that "teflon" hose I linked is not bad at all too. I havent used it personally but a few of the guys over on the pro-touring sites have with good results. Im using the RPS black braided stuff due to not finding that teflon site till afterwards. I plan on upgrading at some point. The downside of the teflon is that its not as bendable so you have to plan you routing and take the sharp turns with fittings. You should do that anyway but most dont.

Im happy to help another Nova guy, you will love the new setup!
Old 03-03-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you for all of the info.

I will be digging into the car this weekend.

Going to be pulling the old (really only about 8 months old!) exhaust off so that I can start to mock up the log style manifolds.

Also, start to cram the intercooler in as well as pull the gas tank to start figuring out the dual fuel pump situation.

More to come!

Quick Reply: Adding Turbo To LSX Swap -TELL ME WHAT TO BUY! PICS ADDED OF BUILD