Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS9 cam in a turbo 5.3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I did some research a while ago and Lingenfelter seems to think that the LS9 cam works very well turbo or supercharged...

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...egory_Code=C31

In fact they had a similar cam out years before the LS9 was designed....
Old 04-04-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 188 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
I did some research a while ago and Lingenfelter seems to think that the LS9 cam works very well turbo or supercharged...

In fact they had a similar cam out years before the LS9 was designed....
The LS9 cam works well turbo, supercharged, n/a, and everything performance related. It has taken the place of the GT2-3 cam. There's absolutely no reason to consider any other cam for any other reason. This one has all bases covered. N/A 4.8L to high boost turbo 8.3L's. It even idles smoother than stock cams (that claim really has me impressed) yet makes insane power. Just install and hold on....it's all good
Old 04-05-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 2009 GM introduced the LS9 in the C6 ZR1 supercharged Corvette engine. After comparing specifications on the camshaft and finding out how economical this is due to it being mass produced Lingenfelter discontinued the GT7 and started using the LS9 in supercharged or turbocharged applications
Yeah, this sounds great!!! But....wait....what???

If you are installing it in an earlier LS1 or LS6 engine with the cam sensor at the back of the engine you will need a 2005 LS2 front cover, 2005 1x cam sprocket, camshaft extension harness, 2005 LS2 chain dampner.
Suddenly not very economical anymore....
Old 04-05-2011, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Compressor Surge
Yeah, this sounds great!!! But....wait....what???

Suddenly not very economical anymore....
You can pick up each of those at Autozone or order their kit for $70 bucks.

$160 + $70 = over $250 = free shipping... doesn't seem to bad to me
Old 04-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Teching In

I think this might be the route I go with my build.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Why not do a custom grind?
Old 04-05-2011, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny Boost
You can pick up each of those at Autozone or order their kit for $70 bucks.

$160 + $70 = over $250 = free shipping... doesn't seem to bad to me
You missed the front cover, cam sensor, wiring, ect.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by old motorhead
The LS9 cam works well turbo, supercharged, n/a, and everything performance related. It has taken the place of the GT2-3 cam. There's absolutely no reason to consider any other cam for any other reason. This one has all bases covered. N/A 4.8L to high boost turbo 8.3L's. It even idles smoother than stock cams (that claim really has me impressed) yet makes insane power. Just install and hold on....it's all good
i maybe wrong but i always understood that the 8.3 was a completely different motor
what is your experience with the ls9 cam? what kinda results have you had with it on a turbo car?
Old 04-06-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
i maybe wrong but i always understood that the 8.3 was a completely different motor
what is your experience with the ls9 cam? what kinda results have you had with it on a turbo car?
Seems I read where someone bored and stroked an LS motor to 8.3L's. I have no experience with the LS9 Cam. LS6 and LS3 yes. I won't have any either (unless I add a TVS1900 to a 4.8L truck motor). I see absolutely no reason to use it. It's not enough of an upgrade over a stock cam to even consider it. If you want to go to all the trouble of a cam swap and are not expecting a whole lot, go for it. It will have good manners. So will something a little bigger and well thought out. The one a little bigger will make power easier. Isn't that what we're all after? To me, it doesn't make sense to skimp on the cam. Sure, it will work. Will it be optimum for any and all force inducted LS motors?....I just don't think so.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

I bought the gt7 cam for my ls1 wich is almost identical and supposedly why they don't sell the gt7 anymore. The gt7 is what lingenfelter designed for all the ls1 up to 427 and were making over 1000hp along time ago.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

Default yep

Yeah,

but it won't work............ you know, it has all the wrong specs, it can't be that good, I purchased mine used for $50!!! And can buy one brand new for $98!!!

I'd hate to have all that overlap on 121 degrees of lobe seperation.......
Old 04-09-2011, 05:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

all i've got to say is yea, the cam will work great to XXXXXXXXhp, but so do stock heads. so does a stock intake. so does a stock TB. im a do it once and do it right kind of person, and that applies to every detail. why leave 100hp on the table? at 600 at the wheels this cam may (ONLY) cost you 30 or so at the wheels, but at 800whp? 9? just spend the extra 250 bucks for a cam that is perfect for your combo.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:16 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by kmracer
just spend the extra 250 bucks for a cam that is perfect for your combo.
How could you perform dozens of cam changes and many many hours on the dyno to select a cam that is perfect for his setup on the dyno for only $250 ?

That's impossible.

Or are you suggesting he guesses a camshaft that might work and try that for $250 ?
Old 04-09-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
How could you perform dozens of cam changes and many many hours on the dyno to select a cam that is perfect for his setup on the dyno for only $250 ?

That's impossible.

Or are you suggesting he guesses a camshaft that might work and try that for $250 ?
It's not a guess when you have a pro spec the cam. Pat G charges a whole 25 bucks to access his knowledge of cams. A bargain. I wouldn't swap cams without his input. Bet his suggestion for the OP's setup won't be real close to an LS9 cam. It would fit in the same spot, but that's about where the similarities would end.

A stock 5.3L cam will work too. If that's all he's after.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:48 AM
9 Second Club

It's not a guess when you have a pro spec the cam. Pat G charges a whole 25 bucks to access his knowledge of cams. A bargain. I wouldn't swap cams without his input. Bet his suggestion for the OP's setup won't be real close to an LS9 cam. It would fit in the same spot, but that's about where the similarities would end.

A stock 5.3L cam will work too. If that's all he's after.
Actually it is a guess. An educated guess, but it is still a guess.

The ONLY way to determine if a camshaft is optimal for any individual application is through actual testing. Anything else is just guesswork.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Actually it is a guess. An educated guess, but it is still a guess.

The ONLY way to determine if a camshaft is optimal for any individual application is through actual testing. Anything else is just guesswork.
It won't take much of a guess to know the LS9 cam isn't optimal for every force inducted LS application. All I'm sayin'. A pro can come of with a cam a whole lot closer to optimum vs an LS9 cam. It's a guess on his part, but a very educated guess. Saying an LS9 will work great in a turbo 5.3L is a bit of a guess too. If you believe the hype of this cam, go for it. It is one great cam if it's correct for a turbo 5.3L and also a supercharged LS7. Not saying it can't make power in both apps...just that it can't be optimum for all things LS force inducted.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:50 AM
9 Second Club

It won't take much of a guess to know the LS9 cam isn't optimal for every force inducted LS application. All I'm sayin'. A pro can come of with a cam a whole lot closer to optimum vs an LS9 cam. It's a guess on his part, but a very educated guess. Saying an LS9 will work great in a turbo 5.3L is a bit of a guess too. If you believe the hype of this cam, go for it. It is one great cam if it's correct for a turbo 5.3L and also a supercharged LS7. Not saying it can't make power in both apps...just that it can't be optimum for all things LS force inducted.
So you are saying Lingenfelter dont know what they are talking about ? Considering they did spend time developing their GT7 camshaft for turbo applications, but when the LS9 came about with almost identical profiles, they stopped producing their GT7.

I think I'll go with Lingenfelter over your thoughts, as I suspect they have done more testing than yourself, and many other shops.

And no, it may not be optimal, but you can be assured it will work, it will have good manners, and it will produce power with ease.

Pick the wrong cam, and you wont be able to say the same.

but in reality, you'd need to be pretty dumb to pick a camshaft that wouldnt work in an LS. They just make power so easily.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

its a factory cam, designed with consideration for driveability, emissions, fuel milage, etc as a priority, not power. its also designed for an 6.2l l92 head'd car with a supercharger. maybe "perfect" isnt the right word, but 1000101099209302x better or closer to what perfect would be. the cam isnt just 90 bucks either if you need to by a timing chain and guide.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

So you are saying Lingenfelter dont know what they are talking about ?
Never said that. Are you saying that all of those dim bulbs that don't use this cam don't know what they're talking about? How oh how are they getting along without this magic cam? The LS7 cam would even work better in the OP's motor. Same specs, just narrower LSA. But specs don't matter, do they?

Again, it has its place. Saying it fits all things LS force inducted is.....never mind....I quit
Old 04-09-2011, 10:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow this progressed pretty fast, I ended up finding an LS6 cam

Quick Reply: LS9 cam in a turbo 5.3?