Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

‎WTF 28,7 PSI on a 4 bolt heads

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 10:05 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320
I find it interesting that if its a 4.00 bore, then it makes 28.82 hp per square inch of the piston. Figure a 4 bolt (oem style turbo buick head) can make 750 crank hp now which is about 20.97 hp per square inch of the piston. The buick would probably be over the 28 psi also....I know I ve heard in the 35+ psi are. Obviously flowing through junk heads compared to any ls engine too. Most of the stock block buicks are running air to air intercooler too.

Your math here is wrong. The area of a 4" piston is 12.566 sq in ((pi*d^2)/4). Multiply that by 8 pistons, and total area is 100.53 sq in. If it made 1450HP, then 1450/100.53 = 14.4 HP per sq in.

I dont know what the diameter of a stock turbo buick head is, but you may want to double check the math for it as well to compare apples to apples.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboS10
I went to Nelson's shop one time before he got big in the mags and picked his brain for an hour. Basically he spends tons of dyno time figuring things out for himself. So he spent the coin to figure out what works. From my discussion with him, he used to ask ITS what turbo to do x on y engine and got mixed or poor results. The 1500 hp twin 72mm gen1 427 is the result of him giving up on asking others. (and the 2 58m turbos collecting dust in my garage I got cheap) The 427 mule was on the dyno when I was there. He orings and copper gaskets his motors along with a special "glue" for the gaskets. The glue process was out lined during the F bomb build iirc. Tom's just like a lot of vendors, buy some of his stuff and he will answer a few of your tech questions. I even got some free cam info out of Duttweiler one time just before they politely hung up.
The gasket/oring sounds like old school turbo buick. Hylamar was used on orings with steel and copper gaskets. I used copper with stainless wire, hylamar combo, but I also heard about some "glue" that yamaha made, but I never used it or tried it.

Interesting about the 23 psi on 4 bolt heads....that would be about equal with a 3.80 bore turbo buick in cylinder pressure(hp) with a oem 4 bolt head.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It makes a difference being on an iron lsx block.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

People on here make me laugh at times! People are happy to question a shops craftmanship and figures just beacuse they haven't 'SEEN' anyone using there engines. Come on guys, Nelson Racing has a reputation and the BIG guys go to them for work. If the stuff they built was cr*p then they would be out of business by now. They can't be living off bank loans.

Not questioning anyone other shop out there at all! They ALL do a GREAT job at pushing these engines harder and faster.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chuntington101
People on here make me laugh at times! People are happy to question a shops craftmanship and figures just beacuse they haven't 'SEEN' anyone using there engines. Come on guys, Nelson Racing has a reputation and the BIG guys go to them for work. If the stuff they built was cr*p then they would be out of business by now. They can't be living off bank loans.

Not questioning anyone other shop out there at all! They ALL do a GREAT job at pushing these engines harder and faster.

You just completely made that up. No one in here questioned their craftmanship. No one said anything remotely negative about their products. If I had 30 grand jingling in my pocket I would write someone like Viriginia Speed a check and go run an outlaw class or something. That doesn't mean NRE does bad work.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

I think what people are asking is that they here of virginia speed and pro-line etc but they never here of nelson engines going out to the strip and running any numbers. Either way this guy knows his **** and his engines are a work of art.

Javier
Old 04-12-2011, 02:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FMX05
You just completely made that up. No one in here questioned their craftmanship. No one said anything remotely negative about their products. If I had 30 grand jingling in my pocket I would write someone like Viriginia Speed a check and go run an outlaw class or something. That doesn't mean NRE does bad work.
Nelson Racings work has been brought up on here MANY times now. And every thime people seem to have a very negative feeling towards what they do, hence my comments.

Again im not having a go at what people like Virginia Speed do after all they build some AMAZING race engines.

another thing i think NRE do is total installs. Rather than just giving you an engine or a turbo kit they give you the lot, fully installed. I guess it a bit more of a one stop shop. But hey what do i know! lol
Old 04-12-2011, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Nelson Racings work has been brought up on here MANY times now. And every thime people seem to have a very negative feeling towards what they do, hence my comments.

Again im not having a go at what people like Virginia Speed do after all they build some AMAZING race engines.

another thing i think NRE do is total installs. Rather than just giving you an engine or a turbo kit they give you the lot, fully installed. I guess it a bit more of a one stop shop. But hey what do i know! lol

That has nothing to do with this thread though. No one in here bashed them for anything. They do awesome work. They get looked at differently by most people here because they build $20,000 and $30,000 pump gas street motors. Like I said before, if I were going to drop that much coin on an engine It would be making way more power and I would be going Outlaw radial racing.

Quick Reply: ‎WTF 28,7 PSI on a 4 bolt heads