Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Are plasma moly rings usable for boosted applications?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 10:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Are plasma moly rings usable for boosted applications?

I have a 418 ls3 with plasma moly rings and want to add a turbo kit to my car . I have been told they are fine for boost but others have said they are no good. So now im confused . Does Anyone here have experience using these rings with boost and how did you make out with them.

thanks
Old 04-08-2011, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard the moly wont hold up to the heat over-time and will flake off. Put a good top ring in it made for the heat or run what you have and re-ring it when needed.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:29 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've used plasma rings for moderate boost with good results. Just be sure your tune, is dead on and ingap is right. They won't take the abuse like a stainless, or hellfire.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:41 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have used je ductle iorn w moly going high 8s and 15psi on e85. im plnning on running more boost. should i swith to the plain ductile rings on the hellfire or stay with je
Old 04-09-2011, 01:36 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Long as it's sealed up good I wouldn't rip the engine appart just to change the rings, but If It's appart I would prob go back with a steel or hellfire ring if you plan on pushing it really hard.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by stock48
Long as it's sealed up good I wouldn't rip the engine appart just to change the rings, but If It's appart I would prob go back with a steel or hellfire ring if you plan on pushing it really hard.
I would tear it apart to change the rings before it's too late. I was sent moly rings by accident when I ordered the steel rings and didn't catch it, put them in my motor and the moly coating flaked off and fucked every cylinder wall and two pistons!
Old 04-11-2011, 02:06 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Sounds like maybe there was something else going on there. Was it detonating, or rings butting? I've used the plasma mahle power pack rings and pistons on some builds well over 1KHP and sealed up fine. What brand rings were they?
Old 04-11-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by stock48
Sounds like maybe there was something else going on there. Was it detonating, or rings butting? I've used the plasma mahle power pack rings and pistons on some builds well over 1KHP and sealed up fine. What brand rings were they?
This wasn't on boost, this was on a 350 hit from a direct port and I was just starting to get the fuel ring right on the plug and make some steam on the tuneup (was nearing perfect, but still a little fat), there was no detonation and my ring gaps were loose, I gapped them with plans of whacking 500 horse worth of nitrous! I don't know where the plasma moly's would hold to on boost, but I wouldn't leave them in till they flake, because they could do a lot of damage if they do!

BTW, sealing wasn't an issue, it was just that the moly coating flaked off and scored the hell out of every cylinder wall/piston and then the sealing went to ****, haha.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:52 PM
9 Second Truck Club

I could see that happening with n20 that stuff is harder on things than boost. Well turbo anyway.

Quick Reply: Are plasma moly rings usable for boosted applications?