Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

I need turbo 5.3l efi advice !

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 04:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need turbo 5.3l efi advice !

I'm getting all my ducks in a row to do a 99' truck 5.3l twin or single turbo setup in a 88 monte carlo. I plan on just getting the damn thing in the car and up and running in stock form first. One option I have is an extremly good deal on the painless swap harness which utilizes the stock computer. My local tuner says he can tune it with the turbos but I need a system thats capable " hp tuners or efi live etc.." I'm starting to realize that being on an Island sucks when you need specialized assistance...lol. Anyways heres a list of questions I'm stumped on:

1. Do I need the mass air flow or can it be turned off ?
2. What do most guys do with the MAF in a forced induction set up ?
3. What are some opinions with a "home made" throttle body attached to an elbow on a single plane intake with injectors in the runners ?
4. Any reccommendations on an ecm for #3. ?
5. How difficult is the hp tuners or efi live to use/ attempt as a rookie.
I have the stock 99 truck engine complete with factory computer minus---MAF. I got a good list
of what I need so fr but just hung up on the MAF.
I would appreciate any pictures, advice or information on these topics.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Do I need the mass air flow or can it be turned off ? Speed Density Tune
2. What do most guys do with the MAF in a forced induction set up ? Most guys here delete them. Custom programming will need to be done to make a speed density tune and not a MAF tune
3. What are some opinions with a "home made" throttle body attached to an elbow on a single plane intake with injectors in the runners ? There are intake manifolds that already have these features for the LSX motors. Check out Edelbrock victor jr and they also have Throttle body elbows.
4. Any reccommendations on an ecm for #3. ? Hu???
5. How difficult is the hp tuners or efi live to use/ attempt as a rookie. Its a chore. I wont dare try to do a tune a FI setup myself.. You should look into getting a "cobalt ss" map sensor. They are 2 bar.
I have the stock 99 truck engine complete with factory computer minus---MAF. I got a good list
of what I need so fr but just hung up on the MAF.
I would appreciate any pictures, advice or information on these topics.[/QUOTE]

There is tons of people here making good power on the LSX engines in stock form. Just search for a few hours cause there is tons! I'm learning myself...I'm building a Turbo engine right now.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the response.. I think I've spent so many hours researching all the routes to go I have overloaded my thoughts.. I'm dreaming about turbo efi ls motors at night. For real ! lol The main concern I have is how I have to buy the tuning program 499 and pay someone 250 to set it up in the car...It is what it is I guess. Thanks for the info on the MAF, I knew you could turn it off but wasnt sure what others are doing as a replacement. I'l keep researching !
Old 08-15-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Delete the MAF and use a speed density tune instead. Use a supercharged Cobalt 2 bar Map sensor (its called the BARO sensor if you ask the dealer). If you find a tuner that does a lot of cars, you wont have to buy the software, he will have it. HPtuners or EFIlive both work fine. Use the computer you have from the 99 with the cheap Painless harness. I use the Edelbrock Victor Jr EFI intake with an elbow and a stock truck throttle body. Works great.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:28 AM
Staging Lane

LS1nova.....thanks for the info, what computer system do you use for your setup ? Do you think its a better route than the truck manifold ? When I'm done learning on my "wifes car" I'm gonna build a stroker 6.0 or maybe a rowdy 5.3 motor for my 69 chevelle with a carb style intake and throttle body setup 2 turbos and maybe use my nitrous kit also "shooting for mid to low 10's" . So i'm trying to learn all I can on both set ups. My goal with the monte carlo is a good daily driver car with plenty power. I have no power goals (all tho i secrectly hope for around 500 or so with the twins) and want to go with an intake set up that is most efficient. "good mpg"
Old 08-16-2011, 03:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deleting the MAF isn't always good....Yea if your making 800-1000HP then speed density is the only way to go, but on a stock 5.3, a safe number is between 500-600 HP and an 85mm MAF can be tuned to run that power level just fine. Plus, most guys get better drivability on MAF tunes than on speed density if you have constant weather and temp changes. Speed density has to be tuned perfectly, especially with FI whereas with an MAF, you have a slight area of adjustment that the MAF will compensate for.

Just my opinion, but speed density is not the only way to go.

Quick Reply: I need turbo 5.3l efi advice !