Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Hey Everyone 2001 5.3L Single Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Everyone 2001 5.3L Single Ideas

Hey there everyone. I have myself a 2001 5.3/4L60e 1500 silverado 4x4 that just hit 200k miles

I decided on doing a budget friendly single turbo, with a new intake manifold, Truck needs a new exhaust anyways, so might as well change it up a bit. Also will be installing new LS9 head gaskets and head studs. Might just re ring it, and gasket it also to freshin it up.

My queston is, Ill be at stock compressionish, but Im limited on Octane. All I have is 90 octane as our premium.

Im not set on a HP number, still want to daily it

So what would you guys use for a turbo size?
Injector size?
Cam?

I know its asked alot, but Im hung up on the 90 octane aspect. Thanks guys
Old 03-21-2017, 10:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

You forgot about the transmission and torque converter. That tranny will likely be hulled soon after the turbo install.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:51 PM
Teching In

i did, thanks, the trans is already about shot lol
Old 03-22-2017, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as the engine, throw a set of bearings in it, dingle ball hone it and put replacement hastings rings off Amazon ($40 shipped). But before you do it, do a compression and leakdown test, pull valve covers and inspect valve train, etc. You may not need to re-ring and bearing it.

Depends on your power goals. But for most, a 7875 turbo is plenty. A good matching set of injectors that will max out around the same time that the 7875 will (700whp comfortably) are the Siemens Deka 80 lb injectors. They are cheap, proven, and injector data is available to be put into the factory PCM.

On 90 octane and stock compression ratio you should be able to do 500whp, but for more than that I would recommend a simple water methanol injection system. That can get you to 600whp+ with pump gas.

As far as the cam and valve springs, go with a smaller ish cam (search for Triple 12 cam - very popular for turbo LS trucks) and PAC 1218 springs.

I also recommend a decent oil pump and LS2 timing chain setup, new LS7 lifters, and LS2 lifter trays.

Your questions are asked daily, so you should be able to find similar answers in many many other threads, as well as other peoples results from similar or near identical builds. The items I just described are arguably some of the most popular budget turbo LS items
Old 03-23-2017, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i thought the genIII motors couldn't handle much more then 600whp..Am I wrong in thinking this?
Old 03-23-2017, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

They can but for how long is the question. Some people have had success at well over 600rwhp with upgraded Rod Bolts (I would if I were on a tight budget) for a small cost. If feasible throw in a set of nice rods but you noted its a budget build so Rod Bolts are probably more in line with what you are looking at. Could also look at picking up some Gen 4 rods if you have the time and cashola (pretty cheap but i am sure you are aware of the additional costs associated with switching out such a part).

Quick Reply: Hey Everyone 2001 5.3L Single Ideas