Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharger and turbocharger combined?

Old 04-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger and turbocharger combined?

I did a search and didn't get the answer i wanted...

I have a stock 4.8 chevy, going to put a custom grind cam or turbo type grind in the block and good valvesprings... Not sure on who's yet, but will use good ones.

Gonna run it til it blows, I picked up a Powerdyne BD 11A for very, very cheap with brackets for it... It will not make the power I intend to produce, I also have a S480 with the big 96/88mm exhaust wheel and a 1.32 A/R housing. I know the turbo is too big for the 4.8 with that wheel and housing.

I come from the diesel world and that was what I had the turbo on, I want to put the Powerdyne on it because I love the supercharger sound and torque and use it for low end and to help spool the S480. I do all my own fabbing and that is the funnest part, I don't care about the time I have in it, but I will make log headers and probably front mount the turbo.

I picked up a 1965 Chevy Malibu that is back halfed, chromoly cage, Fab9 housing four linked with Strange axles, and mini tubbed with 29.5x10.5Wx15's on it.... (It was a prior Outlaw 10.5 car) It has full interior was 3600 lbs with a 565c.i. BBC and turbo 400.

Things I intend on purchasing and using, keep in mind the main intent of this is to be a superfun, tire frying street car, with an occasional pass at the strip. I want to make as much hp as it will take until it blows, then I will build up a Forged 370 or 408 for the future...

-I am going to run it on E85
-1200cc Bosch high impedence injectors
-Aeromotive A1000 and Aeromotive boost referenced regulator
-Billet fuel rails
-4L80E with a manual valve body and triple disc lockup convertor from not sure who yet

I want to build everything to be capable of 1200hp... For when I do a forged engine, hope to get the 4.8 to 650 rwhp.... Looking for some input.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Most confusing post ever. You have no direct questions, just a bunch of random parts and HP numbers.... I will answer on what i think you mean.

Put the blower only on and the blower will probably blow up. Max the 4.8 so you can build your forged 370, then put only the turbo on and it will make your power goals. You will need a bigger pump and injectors if you want to run E85 and make that power.
Running a blower a turbo is possible obviously, has been done, but its not worth it. ESPECIALLY in a thrown together, random turbo and powerdyne blower setup. I mean if you dont care then go ahead, but the turbo will be more than satisfying on its own. Just me.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I have run a blower/turbo combo before. If done right, it has a lot of potential. I used a roots style blower though, as it gave me more of the torque curve I was looking for and also better for boost management. The powerdyne won't give you the low end you're looking for, but will be better than the turbo alone. I would know, I am currently running that same turbo on a temporary 4.8 and its the worst lag I've ever seen.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

So you want to fit a blower that makes no power at low rpm's, and very little at high rpm to an engine that has a turbo that makes no power at low rpm's, and will work at high rpms ?

So can you explain what you think the blower will actually do ?
Old 04-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Cool, didn't know the powerdyne doesn't make low end power... But I know 9 psi won't accomplish my goals. Thanks for the heads up and now I know why some people say to f**k the forums after the wording on a couple responses, same sh*t happens on the diesel forums I'm on too.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Any centri blower doesn't make low-end power, unless you get fancy with the piping. Or unless its on a blower/turbo compounded diesel where they idle in boost...
Old 04-25-2012, 05:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Given how small the powerdyne is, chances of it ever making 9psi are slim anyway. And no centrifugal is ever going to assist low rpm performance. They simply dont work like that.

If you want low rpm and high rpm performance on a twincharge setup, it will need to be either a Rootes or Twin Screw style blower combined with a very large blower.

But then if using a twin screw, may as well just use a big twin screw and forget the turbo.

No matter what way you go about it, it is complicated.

If you had a big centrifugal blower, you could opt for a small turbo to boost the low rpm performance and let the SC take over at higher rpms. Wouldnt be the best option though
Old 04-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by smokeshow
I have run a blower/turbo combo before. If done right, it has a lot of potential. I used a roots style blower though, as it gave me more of the torque curve I was looking for and also better for boost management. The powerdyne won't give you the low end you're looking for, but will be better than the turbo alone. I would know, I am currently running that same turbo on a temporary 4.8 and its the worst lag I've ever seen.
What rpm do you start building boost? What converter stall do you run? I also have a 1.10 T6 housing machined to fit the 96/88mm turbine...

I can also get my hands on a Garrett GT42 2.94" comp inducer,approximately 3" exhaust exducer, which I can get a 1.01, 1.12, 1.28, or 1.44 a/r t4 housings. That could make my 650 rwhp, but which a/r would be best for my goal. I also have a Tial 60mm wastegate I will be using.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BananaMaxSledPuller
What rpm do you start building boost? What converter stall do you run? I also have a 1.10 T6 housing machined to fit the 96/88mm turbine...
I hate that question, lol no offense... There's no specific RPM where it just starts suddenly building boost. Depends on too many things. I typically judge turbo lag with time. For example, from a 40 roll it took 1.2 seconds after WOT to see positive manifold pressure with only a couple hundred rpm increase. By the time I hit full boost around 20psi, it had been 4.9 seconds since I put my foot to the floor and RPM was at 5300. But take that with a grain of salt, because I run a quick spool valve which doesn't crack open until 5psi and full open by around 9psi. That s480 will be even worse without the quick spool. And my converter wasn't spec'd for this engine/turbo combo, so its too tight...it was meant for a larger engine. If you have the smaller exhaust housing machined, by all means, run it.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by smokeshow
I hate that question, lol no offense... There's no specific RPM where it just starts suddenly building boost. Depends on too many things. I typically judge turbo lag with time. For example, from a 40 roll it took 1.2 seconds after WOT to see positive manifold pressure with only a couple hundred rpm increase. By the time I hit full boost around 20psi, it had been 4.9 seconds since I put my foot to the floor and RPM was at 5300. But take that with a grain of salt, because I run a quick spool valve which doesn't crack open until 5psi and full open by around 9psi. That s480 will be even worse without the quick spool. And my converter wasn't spec'd for this engine/turbo combo, so its too tight...it was meant for a larger engine. If you have the smaller exhaust housing machined, by all means, run it.
I know what your saying, and no offense taken! Do u have any idea the rwhp or flywheel HP you are making at 20 psi with that s480?

I also have a s475 with the big exhaust wheel, maybe I will build the kit t6 and use the Borg s475 with the 1.10 a/r t6 to start...

We have a Precision PT98 thumper with a F-trim turbine that could go on a year or two down the road with a 408 or larger build... That would be fun.

These are all turbos we have ran on our diesel pulling truck or as twins... We made 58 psi with the S480 1.32 t6 and no wastegate, so this gas stuff is a lot different to me and just trying to figure it all out! Thanks.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Probably in the 720rwhp range. Thats just based off of others running similar boost on the same engine, and how well I fare racing other people. Haven't had a track day here in forever. May hit the dyno this weekend and find out though.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A1000 wont get you anywhere close to 1200hp on E85.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Supercharger and turbocharger combined?