Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

L33 Marine Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L33 Marine Build

I did a post over the last week on hitting 400 lb ft @ 3000 rpm on an L33 in the GEN III Externals forum. The boat will cruise at 3000-3200 rpm and requires at least 400 lb ft at this rpm. I'd like to do a L33 junkyard because its light weight cheap initially, and cheap to replace if it blows up.

Some opinions have advised towards FI. Realistically speaking, if Im after low 400 lb ft as mentioned above, what kind of turbo at what boost, and what kind of other supporting mods will be required? Do I need an intercooler? Why or why not?

In addition, Im in Canada (small town) so where in the lower 48 is a good shop to fab something like this up for a guy?

Thanks in advance...
Old 03-12-2018, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a L33 in a 24' marathon jet boat and it will hit 4200rpm turning a "A" impeller in a Berkeley 12jc pump . It curses perfect at 3200rpm . My top speed at 4200 rpm is 42mph. The boat is on step in 2 boat lengths
Old 03-12-2018, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

I had a 2005 5.3 (iron block) with Z06 cam/springs and ported TB/truck intake in my '97 Ski Centurion (prop shaft out back) and it went well.... in hindsight I wish I would've done 6.0 for more power. Boats need torque.... and a 5.3 on paper looks good...but more cubic inches would be better or forced induction. I wouldn't be too worried about weight.

2005+ 4.8/5.3/6.0 etc had the LS2/LS3 style rods which are much beefier then the '97-'04.5 rods. So if you plan to go forced induction get the newer style setup.

The other thing I wish I had done with my motor was paint or clearcoat everything.... as anything that was not did form corrosion over time. Even the aluminum throttlebody/valvecovers/coil pack brackets etc. We only painted the block itself.... and every spring I had to spend a couple hours to get the corrosion off and make it look good again. That typically meant removing parts and painting them.

By adding the exhaust crossover it actually did gain a little power.
Attached Thumbnails L33 Marine Build-enginefront.jpg   L33 Marine Build-crossoverexh.jpg   L33 Marine Build-rear-engine.jpg  
Old 03-14-2018, 08:45 AM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gnx7
I had a 2005 5.3 (iron block) with Z06 cam/springs and ported TB/truck intake in my '97 Ski Centurion (prop shaft out back) and it went well.... in hindsight I wish I would've done 6.0 for more power. Boats need torque.... and a 5.3 on paper looks good...but more cubic inches would be better or forced induction. I wouldn't be too worried about weight.

2005+ 4.8/5.3/6.0 etc had the LS2/LS3 style rods which are much beefier then the '97-'04.5 rods. So if you plan to go forced induction get the newer style setup.

The other thing I wish I had done with my motor was paint or clearcoat everything.... as anything that was not did form corrosion over time. Even the aluminum throttlebody/valvecovers/coil pack brackets etc. We only painted the block itself.... and every spring I had to spend a couple hours to get the corrosion off and make it look good again. That typically meant removing parts and painting them.

By adding the exhaust crossover it actually did gain a little power.

the l33 has the better gen 4 rods

Quick Reply: L33 Marine Build