Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS2 GTO front mount single low budget turbo, keeping A/C

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Siemans Deka 4 108191 (60lb) injectors. Got close to a thousand miles on it now. Starts and idles like stock. When driving though, there is this unusual whistling noise and the tires start spinning.

I'm running with the MAF so no meth spray for me.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:27 AM
Launching!

*sub'd*
Old 12-05-2012, 06:37 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ACCLR8N
Siemans Deka 4 108191 (60lb) injectors. Got close to a thousand miles on it now. Starts and idles like stock. When driving though, there is this unusual whistling noise and the tires start spinning.

I'm running with the MAF so no meth spray for me.
LOL
we have always run 80lb dekas and even on my friends stock 4.8 truck they idled no problem, dont know why people think there would be an issue.

i love this build
Old 12-05-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very cool build.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Thank you. Drove it to work today. Driveability has been excellent. AFRs 14.4ish indicated by the LC-1 normally. Under boost I have it dialed in keeping it under 11.7:1 with around 11 degress of timing. Lots of data logging I occaisonally see a blip of knock retard (less than a degree) rolling into the throttle 30-40% with a load near boost that imeadiatly tapers off. Little shark fins. Might see this once or twice during a 45 minute commute. WOT or in boost I've never seen any knock retard.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you. Drove it to work today. Driveability has been excellent. AFRs 14.4ish indicated by the LC-1 normally. Under boost I have it dialed in keeping it under 11.7:1 with around 11 degress of timing. Lots of data logging I occaisonally see a blip of knock retard (less than a degree) rolling into the throttle 30-40% with a load near boost that imeadiatly tapers off. Little shark fins. Might see this once or twice during a 45 minute commute. WOT or in boost I've never seen any knock retard.

Sounds pretty standard driveability. Tight work.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:43 AM
Launching!

Cool

Partial knock is to be expected especially while using pump gas,how do you like the EFI Live ?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blackbob
how do you like the EFI Live ?
I'm new to tuning, it has been a challenge. The hand held black box logging, flashing and serial connection are certainly a conveinence. My neighbor talked me into it on the weight of its capabilities for swaps in the future.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:39 AM
Launching!

I'm new to tuning, it has been a challenge. The hand held black box logging, flashing and serial connection are certainly a conveinence. My neighbor talked me into it on the weight of its capabilities for swaps in the future.
Sounds like a nice setup,I haven't bought software yet but I haven't made the jump yet.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Am having issues with the manifolds man.Am not an expert at this and i dont wanna move my battery either.Would you be willing to help with making it?I can mail you everything you need and a pay for it.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Launching!

What are the issues you are having with the manifolds? I'm not an expert, this is my first turbo build.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Teching In

I REALLY should have picked this up from you when I had the chance bro. Way to go!
Old 12-27-2012, 07:24 AM
Launching!

Any updates ? Have you made it to the dyno yet ?
Old 12-27-2012, 07:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks very simple and clean setup!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Default Radiator cover

Originally Posted by greenturtle05
Any updates ? Have you made it to the dyno yet ?
Been fiddling with the tune and driving it. I've been working on my radiator cover most recently. I installed a Kuda cell phone mount to hold my EFI-L box. My wife got me a Aeroquip FPR and fittings so a return fuel system is coming up. Then tuning starts over again. We got some real snow last week and they salted the roads. Its parked for the winter.

My stock clutch is holding up on the street. I'm convinced I'll burn it down on a dyno run. Clutch upgrade won't be until next summer.

Attached Thumbnails LS2 GTO front mount single low budget turbo, keeping A/C-orig_rad_cover_small.jpg   LS2 GTO front mount single low budget turbo, keeping A/C-bare_side_small.jpg  

Last edited by ACCLR8N; 01-01-2013 at 08:23 AM. Reason: pictures
Old 02-27-2013, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Default Merge divider

I was asked for more detail on the merge. It's sch40 mild steel 2-1/2" short radius weld els. They are split and siamesed together with a divider plate. I beat them quite a bit to better match the flange. The divider plate is 1/8" mild steel and extends slightly into the wastegate tube. This creates an internal brace for the tube and limits the two banks pulses mixing. Spent some time welding inside and blending everything to the T4 flange ports.

Not laminar flow, but I think it is an improvement over a log and retains plenty of heat.

Attached Thumbnails LS2 GTO front mount single low budget turbo, keeping A/C-manifold_throat_small.jpg   LS2 GTO front mount single low budget turbo, keeping A/C-manifold_divider_small.jpg   LS2 GTO front mount single low budget turbo, keeping A/C-t4_flng_installed2.jpg  
Old 05-08-2013, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

How is the fuel pump hoding up?
Old 05-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Pump is holding up fine. It worked flawlessly last year as drop in returnless supporting low boost.

Over the winter I revised the fuel system to a return line and boost referenced regulator. This should make life easier for the pump. I am currently struggling with re-tuning the car to this as my VE and MAF tables no longer need to be scaled. Jury is still out on what the limit is for this pump but I'm expecting it to hold up to my goals. I have a friend running a Walbro 255 returnless and 8 PSI of boost. The DW one is spec'd with slightly higher flow.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:54 PM
Launching!

Default Numbers (not dyno)

No dyno pulls but, after a bunch of tuning and logging, I have some other numbers that might be of interest. The wastegate has been upgraded to a 7psi piece (WyntonM) and I have fitted a 3.5" Magnaflow catalytic converter. There car is quiet with bone stock driveability.

Boost: Actual boost has been 7.5 psi cool morning, 5.9 psi on a hot afternoon. Boost is steady with no drop off. I'm confident my HP goals have been exceeded.

Lag: Car will begin making boost as low as 2400RPM and can be at full song by 3700RPM. Worst case stomping on it from a roll I have full boost by 4400RPM.

Fuel: The DeatschWerks pump is maintaining steady pressure at the highest boost levels. With base fuel pressure set at 43.5psi and boost referenced, the Siemens 60lb injectors are peaking at 60% duty cycle. 93 octane pump gas.

MAF: I am at the limit of the factory LS2 MAF sensor. 11900 Hz with a charted limit of 12200 Hz. The EFI-Live patch allows it to actually overrun to 16000Hz before panicking so I am good at this level.

Intercooler: Legalish street speeds, IATs are only rising 2-3 degrees C. On one particular long pull intake temps climbed 22 degrees.

Timing: I am running 12.5 degrees and never see any knock under boost. Still an occasional blip at part throttle that I have come to ignore. My stock truck is far worse when I logged it. I may increase this soon. A buddy is running up to 17 degrees after peak torque.

A/C is still working great and I haven't melted anything. The only build corrections I have had to make were increasing the clearance notch in the skid plate, zip-tied power steering return line away from pulley and crossover and put a clamp on the coolant overflow hose. The tuning was vexing.
Attached Thumbnails LS2 GTO front mount single low budget turbo, keeping A/C-log.jpg  

Last edited by ACCLR8N; 07-05-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Outstanding build. I love that you retained drive ability for a daily. I would love to build a setup like this for my application. The fact that you stuck with a nice easy goal gave you tons of room to grow in the long run.

what brand bov and waste gates did you end up going with?

Michael

Last edited by xxcov3rxx; 10-18-2013 at 11:56 AM. Reason: answered my own question...

Quick Reply: LS2 GTO front mount single low budget turbo, keeping A/C