Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5.3 Twin Turbo Build Planing

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 Twin Turbo Build Planing

I just want to start by saying hello this my first post here. Ive been on camaro z28 for years. Finally my 96 z28 lt1 gave up and now its time to move on. After trolling for a long time I was going to go with a lq4 turbo build. BUT a few days ago I came across an 5.3 pretty sitting in the back of a friends shop. So after a case of beer it became mine . Please excuse my ignorance. Ive been working on cars from before I can work but nothing full out. I don't really have power numbers but I'm looking to run in some lsx shoot out classes and after seeing "WheelsUp84z" build maybe a "true street car". Here is what I have for my motor build as of right now:

5.3L Block
ARP Rod bolts
ARP Head studs
ls9 head gaskets
Slp oil pump
slp Double roller Chain
Ls6 intake
Fast Fuel Rails.
Tial 44mm waste gates
Tial BOV
Stand alone Harness.
Twin 68 Turbos.

My questions are.

1)What head should I run? Can I run a stock head with new springs and rockers?
2) What is the best cam for a turbo app. Ive seen the tu2 for the lq4 but Ive read it doest work so well with the 5.3.
3) Should/can I pull the bearings and replace them or just let them be.

Thank you for any info.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackz151
I just want to start by saying hello this my first post here. Ive been on camaro z28 for years. Finally my 96 z28 lt1 gave up and now its time to move on. After trolling for a long time I was going to go with a lq4 turbo build. BUT a few days ago I came across an 5.3 pretty sitting in the back of a friends shop. So after a case of beer it became mine . Please excuse my ignorance. Ive been working on cars from before I can work but nothing full out. I don't really have power numbers but I'm looking to run in some lsx shoot out classes and after seeing "WheelsUp84z" build maybe a "true street car". Here is what I have for my motor build as of right now:

5.3L Block
ARP Rod bolts
ARP Head studs
ls9 head gaskets
Slp oil pump
slp Double roller Chain
Ls6 intake
Fast Fuel Rails.
Tial 44mm waste gates
Tial BOV
Stand alone Harness.
Twin 68 Turbos.

My questions are.

1)What head should I run? Can I run a stock head with new springs and rockers?
2) What is the best cam for a turbo app. Ive seen the tu2 for the lq4 but Ive read it doest work so well with the 5.3.
3) Should/can I pull the bearings and replace them or just let them be.

Thank you for any info.
What year 5.3 is it?

1) Stock heads will be fine. Grab a set of Brain Tooley springs and trunion upgrade for the stock rockers. I would run the LS1 MLS head gaskets instead of the LS9's on the 5.3.
2) Something with a few degree's of overlap will help spool on your twin setup. The TU2 has 11 degree's of overlap which could work well.
3) Just let them be.

Post some pictures!
Old 05-19-2013, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LT1RAY
What year 5.3 is it?

1) Stock heads will be fine. Grab a set of Brain Tooley springs and trunion upgrade for the stock rockers. I would run the LS1 MLS head gaskets instead of the LS9's on the 5.3.
2) Something with a few degree's of overlap will help spool on your twin setup. The TU2 has 11 degree's of overlap which could work well.
3) Just let them be.

Post some pictures!
Thanks!! I will once we drag that motor out and get the lt1 ripped out
Old 05-20-2013, 07:25 AM
TECH Regular

Before you stick money into your heads/valvetrain, something to think about is the 5.3's did come with castech casting heads, that are prone to cracking. There is a marking under your rocker arms to id them. You'd have to look it up to find out what the marking is. I'm not saying they're automatically crap but just a heads up. I wish I would've known about this, before I stuck money into my heads. 243 heads are a nice upgrade.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Black98s10
Before you stick money into your heads/valvetrain, something to think about is the 5.3's did come with castech casting heads, that are prone to cracking. There is a marking under your rocker arms to id them. You'd have to look it up to find out what the marking is. I'm not saying they're automatically crap but just a heads up. I wish I would've known about this, before I stuck money into my heads. 243 heads are a nice upgrade.
Thank you for the heads up. I will check for the marking

Quick Reply: 5.3 Twin Turbo Build Planing