Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbowerx base model vs exa

Old 06-06-2013, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default turbowerx base model vs exa

Im doing a rear mount turbo and was wondering what the main benefit is to the exa vs the base model scavenge pump by turbowerx.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody have any experience with either of these turbowerx pumps?
Old 06-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

Yea I have both on my self contained oiling system. The exa is a much better pump as it has a gear suction. The base model is just a rebadged diaphragm pump from another company I believe
Old 06-09-2013, 02:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok thats what I needed to know
Old 06-09-2013, 06:48 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the base model, so far no problems with it.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

iv been wondering about this too. Ive been eyeballing the turbowerx pumps for my own setup but was wondering what the real difference is between the pumps and their reliability between themselves?
Old 09-11-2013, 01:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The base model is a surflow it says so right on the pump head.

They just add a heat sink and 100 or more dollars onto the price tag.

They also advertise it as having the same abilitys of the exa pump to suck the oil even if the pump is higher than the source. That is false

The base model does not do that very well at all. The exa pump however I have heard of ppl mounting it in the engine bay up front with a rear mount and it pulls the oil just fine from 8 ft away and about 3 ft. Higher than the turbo drain.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:21 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bowtie
The base model is a surflow it says so right on the pump head.

They just add a heat sink and 100 or more dollars onto the price tag.

They also advertise it as having the same abilitys of the exa pump to suck the oil even if the pump is higher than the source. That is false

The base model does not do that very well at all. The exa pump however I have heard of ppl mounting it in the engine bay up front with a rear mount and it pulls the oil just fine from 8 ft away and about 3 ft. Higher than the turbo drain.
Do you have any proof...?

I have a low front mount turbo, I would say the turbo drain is about even with just the top of the oil pan, and the scavenge pump is mounted up where the PCM would be on a stock car. Not a single issue... I think the base model has a lower temp rating than the top of the line one but so far mine has been flawless.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:26 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is also mounted higher than the source, I have a sump I made under the turbo & the -10 line out of the sump goes uphill atleast 2-3 inches to the pump before heading back to the front timing cover.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Do you have any proof...?

I have a low front mount turbo, I would say the turbo drain is about even with just the top of the oil pan, and the scavenge pump is mounted up where the PCM would be on a stock car. Not a single issue... I think the base model has a lower temp rating than the top of the line one but so far mine has been flawless.
Do you have the exa pump or the rebadged surflo?

And yes the trashed turbo on my work bench is proof. My pump was about a foot higher than the turbo and maybe 2 ft of hose away. Took the line off the valve cover to check flow and it came in small spurts every so often. Far less than what the turbo was. Being fed
Old 09-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

And yes the trashed turbo on my work bench is proof. My pump was about a foot higher than the turbo and maybe 2 ft of hose away. Took the line off the valve cover to check flow and it came in small spurts every so often. Far less than what the turbo was. Being fed
I have the base model, spartan or whatever.

Have not had an issue, seems to work fine. I would bet you have it too close to the turbo and the oil was too hot.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

the photo in your sig is very small, but it looks like a very large line from the turbo to the pump.

Whilst I havent done such a setup yet myself, I can only see a large pipe here causing problems.

Just imagine yourself trying to suck liquid up through a very large diameter straw. It will be almost impossible

Use a smaller diameter so no air is sucked, and it becomes much better and fluid will always get sucked.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
the photo in your sig is very small, but it looks like a very large line from the turbo to the pump.

Whilst I havent done such a setup yet myself, I can only see a large pipe here causing problems.

Just imagine yourself trying to suck liquid up through a very large diameter straw. It will be almost impossible

Use a smaller diameter so no air is sucked, and it becomes much better and fluid will always get sucked.
I thought the same thing about the hose size.

Thing that gets me is turbo werx has the same description just copy and pasted in the info for the exa pump and the shurflow with the heat sink.

If you look up the shurflow pump It more than likely doesn't say it can prime above the source. I never have but it's not the same as the exa pump that's for sure and they make it out to be. Maybe my pump was bad or went bad shortly after install

Turbo is in the engine bay now so no worrys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: turbowerx base model vs exa