Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

colder plug recommendation for turbo 5.3 dragboat

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default colder plug recommendation for turbo 5.3 dragboat

Have been runnin the stock sized champion plugs with good luck after 30hrs on em but yesterday i had a insulator crack and slide down closing off the gap.never had this happen to me and only time ive seen it before was on a stock gm cobalt 2.2 when i was a gm tech.was suggested i needed a colder plug.been runnin 19lbs on 93 and a a.i.s. watermeth setup and have never herd it rattle afr lookn good etc..s480 turbo blowing right into a qft ban.afr was around 11.3 at 19lbs when i felt the miss begin to happen.timing at 15* on a 2bar map.thot i had pull a ringland but cylinder is fine absolutely no signs of detonation on any plug even the one that slid down has no metal or speckles.thinkn too hot a plug being hit with alot of water meth may have cracked insulator.
any comments or recommendations for plugs? Champions have always been less foul prone to me than ngk so that why ive been runnin em.ill switch tho, dont mind.im turning my jetpump 6500 at 16lbs 6800 at 19lbs. id like a plug without the washer seal against the head, jus like taper sealed plugs better. appreciate the adviae fellas!
Old 06-28-2013, 02:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

S61C would be worth a shot, if that is too cold go to a 63. I have had good luck with these and GM coils.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Launching!

Ive gta set of the ngk 8 plugs i bought during the build.read some of you guys runnin that over 800hp and high boost.gimme the run down on ngk plugs.so it tr6 tr7 tr8 and thats from hottest(6) to coldest(8)?
I fuel fould the ngk 8's during initial tuning off the lake with too much idle feed and fixed that with larger iab's.think i otta try the 8's again now that ive gta clean tuneup?
Old 06-28-2013, 06:18 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am using the NGK 8's with my blowthrough S480 6.0. they have not fouled on me and I have a pretty rich tuneup, down to high 9's if i am into the water/meth at 3500 rpm, creeping up to 11.7 at 6700rpm. I think the key is gapping them tight to prevent fouling, I am running .015" gap no issues. the tight gap also helps at high boost levels, to keep the flame lit when demand on the coils is highest.
I dont change my carb tuneup from low boost setting-7psi, to the high setting -16psi. thats why I have such a rich tuneup at low rpms. the tight gap is keeping the candles lit.
NGK R5671-A, stock # 4554. Yes they are gasket type plugs, but they seal perfect.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:59 AM
Launching!

Thanx for the help n advise guys! I should have some br7ef and br8ef sets of plugs waiting on me at oriellys this mornin to try tmrw on the lake.gotta race this coming thurs on the 4th and want to make sure its on kill prior!!

Quick Reply: colder plug recommendation for turbo 5.3 dragboat