Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Sealing Truck Manifold Turbo Setup

Old 07-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sealing Truck Manifold Turbo Setup

What is everyone doing to seal up the connections from the truck manifolds to the merge pipe? I've seen a few with gaskets, few with copper RTV, and a few other things.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If all the surfaces are true and flat (put a straight edge on them), I have seen people bolting them up with nothing. I have also heard of people putting just a thin coat of copper RTV on. That was just hearsay though.

My experience is that thin stainless gaskets with a little copper RTV have never leaked on me. Thicker gaskets have always blown out on me, and after doing some research, this is why. When the exhaust gets hot, the flanges will warp sometimes. Since the crossover is bolted to the manifolds at 3 places, that is where it is clamping. On the spaces between the bolts it will open up, and the gaskets will blow out.

I put a straightedge across my crossover after reading this and I found out that's precisely what happened where my crossover bolts to the manifolds. That is also the only place on the exhaust setup where non stainless gaskets where used. I took it off, put the surfaces on a belt sander, and put it back together with no gasket and just some copper RTV. I have not ran it yet, but I'll let you know. I have completely confidence that it will be fine though.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using original truck manifolds with truck flanges and copper gaskets
Old 07-20-2013, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

use v-bands
Old 07-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Banned

depending on the brand and quality the v-bands will warp too. Ive had cheap vbands warp even on my vband jig fully cooled. Ive found the best way is 3 thin aluminum hand made gaskets works very well. most quality vbands warp too but tend to warp together so that has never been more then a copper rtv fix
Old 07-21-2013, 09:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the factory 2 bolt flange with a good amount of copper rtv. 4 years never leaked once

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sealing Truck Manifold Turbo Setup