Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

WS6 Rear Mounted Radiator (UPDATE!!! COMPLETE AND TESTING) MANY PICS INSIDE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent work, I will be starting on this once my collar bone heals up, but I will be the stock rad.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

well without a thermostat in the car it took 12 minutes idling to reach 175 degrees without the fans running. sitting still in the hot sun I let it run for 20 minutes and never got above 190. I cut some more out of the rear inner bumper for fan air exit so may help even more now. I think I finally got all the air out of it making the total volume for this system around 4.8 gallons
Old 09-14-2013, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just the extra capacity alone should help out. You sir are definitely a pioneer. You have thought outside the box. Now time for some driving and put it to the test. I am considering doing it this winter. I just have to have the radiator sealed off from the interior, I don't wanna hear the fans at all.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Just the extra capacity alone should help out. You sir are definitely a pioneer. You have thought outside the box. Now time for some driving and put it to the test. I am considering doing it this winter. I just have to have the radiator sealed off from the interior, I don't wanna hear the fans at all.
Well first trip to town already tell I'm gonna be cutting more out so radiator can breathe. Its to sealed up back there.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mrstepheneades
Well first trip to town already tell I'm gonna be cutting more out so radiator can breathe. Its to sealed up back there.
That was my thought with that little slit back there lol. Nice work overall though.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smokeshow
That was my thought with that little slit back there lol. Nice work overall though.
Bout to be some BIG slits lol. Better yet all is coming out that isn't needed to suspend it up in there on the bottom under radiator. Lol
Old 09-14-2013, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Weight reduction
Old 09-16-2013, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I when cut crazy. Also got a vacuum bleeder.

All of this and its a failure lol. Still heats up. There is absolutely no air in the system im sure of it. Bottom line is stock water pump is not strong enough to push now 5.5 gallons of coolant around especially uphill in some spots.

Ill save my piping and maybe try again but wanted to have my car ready for Ticks customer appreciation day for the dyno shootout so I just put my new thicker radiator back up front, changed a few things and ill leave it to a later date. I was a good try but now we know a good electric pump is needed for a setup like this and I just cant drop the money at the moment on one. This whole thing was basically done for nothing is why I to the plunge.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn man. Sucks to see this. We all had high hopes. Hopefully an inline pump in the future will make it work.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Damn man. Sucks to see this. We all had high hopes. Hopefully an inline pump in the future will make it work.
Yes at idle would hold a steady 204° but boosting over and over gets back in 220s. Needs more water flow bottom line.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

What fans were you using when the radiator was up front? I have zero issues in Florida summer weather with my front mount turbo setup.....but I also managed to fit the stock fans in the stock location after modifying the housing. As far as I'm concerned anything less than stock fans will leave you open to overheating issues. I used to use aftermarket fans and got tired of worrying about coolant temps. Did what it took to put stock fans back in up front and haven't looked back.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do you still have the heater core hooked up?
Old 09-16-2013, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Do you still have the heater core hooked up?
I do yes. But radiator is back in front now and with the new aluminum radiator it works better than stock. guess ill live with it for now.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

to me it looks like the interior would get filled with dust and other stuff picked up off the road. dont see any screen on the openings. also standing in traffic i think it would allow in fumes from other vehicles in ur compartment.
quite a few guys have had good success w standing up the radiator mod in 4th gens.
theres a guy here local who i know car makes 800+rw with twins and gets driven near everyday. shitty houston traffic and all. stood up rad., stock fans and ducting. runs a a2w ic tho. has a small pusher on the heat exchanger. but car runs fine and doesnt overheat.
good effort.
i applaud the try something new approach.doesnt always work out in real time, even tho its bullet proof on paper and guaranteed in our heads. ive been there.
im adapting a gt500 sc to a ls motor and so far every single thing ive had to make on my own.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NemeSS
to me it looks like the interior would get filled with dust and other stuff picked up off the road. dont see any screen on the openings. also standing in traffic i think it would allow in fumes from other vehicles in ur compartment.
quite a few guys have had good success w standing up the radiator mod in 4th gens.
theres a guy here local who i know car makes 800+rw with twins and gets driven near everyday. shitty houston traffic and all. stood up rad., stock fans and ducting. runs a a2w ic tho. has a small pusher on the heat exchanger. but car runs fine and doesnt overheat.
good effort.
i applaud the try something new approach.doesnt always work out in real time, even tho its bullet proof on paper and guaranteed in our heads. ive been there.
im adapting a gt500 sc to a ls motor and so far every single thing ive had to make on my own.
Yeah I moved the new radiator back up front. Its a cheap champion but so far does way better than stock one. I still have the stock fans as pushers. Drove it back to work today and it barely got 200* after boosting several times. I fixed the querks in the lines as well. Its better off the tenth time you do it I guess lol.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:15 AM
Staging Lane

Sucks after all that work not to use the rear rad system. I think with the rad up front and in the path of the air from the nostrils you should have fresh unrestricted air flow. You also prob lost about 10lbs of weight from the back of the car from cutting away the sheet metal in the rear. LOL
Old 09-19-2013, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RONSBLACK1998TA
Sucks after all that work not to use the rear rad system. I think with the rad up front and in the path of the air from the nostrils you should have fresh unrestricted air flow. You also prob lost about 10lbs of weight from the back of the car from cutting away the sheet metal in the rear. LOL
I know lol. Yeah it does great now with new radiator. I even tested it on only one fan and driving in traffic never got above 212 even on one stock fan pushing. Both fans keep it right below 200 and driving sometimes gets in the 180s. Im happy for now. Kept all my stuff for the other setup though. For maybe the future.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is an interesting thread. Looks like any high temps at low engine loads are down to airflow over the rad rather than water pump speed or radiator capacity. Look at 'Max Torque' posts.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...+Answer+is+%21

Obviously at high engine loads that changes.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

But temps were lower at low speed and idle. 204 vs 217 but when driving they went up.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Maybe air was getting sucked in from the rear hole at higher speeds and fighting the air flow of the fans.

Quick Reply: WS6 Rear Mounted Radiator (UPDATE!!! COMPLETE AND TESTING) MANY PICS INSIDE!!!