Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SN95 5.3 TH400 3.27 build thread - 10.88/134.86 - NOW LQ9

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by NateLS1Mustang
Shoot, I was hoping I could use the stock truck manifolds. That's a bummer. Glad yall mentioned that before I welded the v-bands on this week! lol.

Edit: so if you were to do it all over again, would you have used an aftermarket k-member? Or do you see no point in an aftermarket K for this setup in the SN95 platform?
If money is no issue I think an aftermarket K will buy you some more room and if you run twins it is probably a good idea b/c you need all the room you can get. But for what I do, the stock K is just fine. If I ever decide to try twins I think I'll change it out.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
If money is no issue I think an aftermarket K will buy you some more room and if you run twins it is probably a good idea b/c you need all the room you can get. But for what I do, the stock K is just fine. If I ever decide to try twins I think I'll change it out.
Okay, awesome. Haven't made my mind up just yet about if I want to use an aftermarket K but if the stock one was easy to build around then that might be the route I take.

One more thing, you tested the truck pan, Fbody pan, and CTS-V pan and found that the CTS-V fit perfectly. IIRC, you said the Fbody pan fit too though but something was off about it? What was wrong with the Fbody pan? I have one laying around, but don't have a CTS-V pan sittin' around lol.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, awesome. Haven't made my mind up just yet about if I want to use an aftermarket K but if the stock one was easy to build around then that might be the route I take.

One more thing, you tested the truck pan, Fbody pan, and CTS-V pan and found that the CTS-V fit perfectly. IIRC, you said the Fbody pan fit too though but something was off about it? What was wrong with the Fbody pan? I have one laying around, but don't have a CTS-V pan sittin' around lol.
If I had to to it all over again I would use regular sbc/bbc mounts along with adapter plates and then weld a piece of round tubing to each engine stand so I can run a sbc/bbc engine mount bolt right through it. That way I could get the engine even lower than where I have it and the engine would be placed back in the same spot everytime I take it in/out. Right now these F-ing 4.6 mounts have a big stud sticking out of them and the engine stands are slotted so the engine can sorta rock clockwise or CCW. I try to put it back in the same spot by looking at where the nuts were against the engine stand (where the nuts left a halo on the engine stand paint). This is bad b/c when you build a hot side in tight confines you need the engine to go back in the same spot every time.

The front corners of the f-body pan ran right into the k. You may not have that issue with an aftermarket k. CTS-V pan was a drop-in much like the ls3 mani's
Old 03-07-2016, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

If I had to to it all over again I would use regular sbc/bbc mounts along with adapter plates and then weld a piece of round tubing to each engine stand so I can run a sbc/bbc engine mount bolt right through it. That way I could get the engine even lower than where I have it and the engine would be placed back in the same spot everytime I take it in/out. Right now these F-ing 4.6 mounts have a big stud sticking out of them and the engine stands are slotted so the engine can sorta rock clockwise or CCW. I try to put it back in the same spot by looking at where the nuts were against the engine stand (where the nuts left a halo on the engine stand paint). This is bad b/c when you build a hot side in tight confines you need the engine to go back in the same spot every time.

The front corners of the f-body pan ran right into the k. You may not have that issue with an aftermarket k. CTS-V pan was a drop-in much like the ls3 mani's
Great information. Thank you. I'm sure I'll be popping back in here with other questions every now and again lol. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

The CTS-V pan you used, what year? Does it have the oil cooler mounting bosses on one of the sides of it?
Old 03-09-2016, 06:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

The CTS-V pan you used, what year? Does it have the oil cooler mounting bosses on one of the sides of it?
Not sure what year but it has the bosses which aren't an issue at all in any way.

Name:  7E50F1FC-046E-48AE-B8CB-09F20C8CDB9F_zpszwoqacvj.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  191.7 KB
Old 03-09-2016, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Awesome. I think I'm going to give the CTS-V pan and stock k-member a shot.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

This might seem a bit stupid but will the truck oil pan hardware (windage tray, pickup tube, etc) work with the CTS-V pan?
Old 03-09-2016, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

This might seem a bit stupid but will the truck oil pan hardware (windage tray, pickup tube, etc) work with the CTS-V pan?
The windage tray is about all you can use.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

The windage tray is about all you can use.
Okay, I didn't know that. That puts the CTS-V oil pan kit at the same price as an AJE k-member then.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, I didn't know that. That puts the CTS-V oil pan kit at the same price as an AJE k-member then.
Maybe...but your F pan has value (a lot of value). Not sure if you can reuse the factory a-arms with the AJE or not, if you need coil overs etc and the you have to go and get an alignment. Oil pan seems like pretty easy alternative....
Old 03-09-2016, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Maybe...but your F pan has value (a lot of value). Not sure if you can reuse the factory a-arms with the AJE or not, if you need coil overs etc and the you have to go and get an alignment. Oil pan seems like pretty easy alternative....
I've sent AJE an email, I'll find out hopefully tomorrow.

If they come out to be around the same price as each other, I think it would be smart to go ahead and do the AJE k-member. That way I can use my Fbody pan I have laying around already. Also should make for an easier crossover to be made.

I appreciate your help though and answers for my redundant questions lol.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

The LS3 manifolds, will a 2.25" v-band be able to mate up to them or would I have to go 2.5"?

I have the truck manifolds that'll fit a 2.25" v-band but not sure if truck manifolds and LS3 manifolds are same size?
Old 03-13-2016, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

The LS3 manifolds, will a 2.25" v-band be able to mate up to them or would I have to go 2.5"?

I have the truck manifolds that'll fit a 2.25" v-band but not sure if truck manifolds and LS3 manifolds are same size?
Not sure what you mean by mate-up...like directly weld the v-band to the mani and the openings match each other? I do know the LS3 mani opening was smaller than 2.5". It was closer to 2.125-2.25". I'm using flanges so can't really comment on v-bands.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Not sure what you mean by mate-up...like directly weld the v-band to the mani and the openings match each other? I do know the LS3 mani opening was smaller than 2.5". It was closer to 2.125-2.25". I'm using flanges so can't really comment on v-bands.
Okay no worries, I got the answer from some more research.

What size header bolts did you use to bolt the LS3 manifolds on to your Gen III motor?
Old 07-26-2016, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Small update. Car runs a little too warm for my liking (can get to about 200* on a warm/hot day), and the cooling fan is pretty much constantly running. I was using a new factory radiator (single row), which is the same for the v6 and v8 cars. I installed a new China 2 row alum rad, which helped a bit actually but temps still climbed going up an incline or hard acceleration. Again, only when its warm out. Thanks to Andrew "Project GatTagO", I was inspired to install a C6 Corvette PWM fan and let the Holley ECM control it. This sucker moves some air at full tilt! At 90% duty cycle the fan is louder than my car! Usually doesn't have to get that high. But it actually fit pretty nice after I trimmed it a bit. Nice thing is there is no amp surge...it comes in gradually and maintains temps within 5*-6*. Right now temps are between 175-180*.

Name:  EDF08FC8-6A38-4EAD-9C94-BC81C44C1AF1_zpsgdzyxz8c.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  167.1 KB

You can see the controller on the left side of the fan.

Name:  476803A5-2A2A-493A-92BB-5D72B8CA3F9B_zpsygwkvjwg.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  154.5 KB

Last edited by 69-chvl; 07-26-2016 at 08:43 PM.

Quick Reply: SN95 5.3 TH400 3.27 build thread - 10.88/134.86 - NOW LQ9