Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SOM LAG Project: 394ci, 25.3, Twin PT7675 Gen 2's, PG, E85, 7-second Street Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Some of the lightweight parts have come in.

I am planning to run a single race seat while at the track. I will remove the passenger seat to save weight. I ordered a Jegs aluminum seat, Kirkey cover, Racecraft bolt in brackets, and a I/O Port Seat Back Brace from Stable Energies. This should allow for me to easily swap the seat with my stock Trans Am seat for racing purposes. We will see how long this last before I decide the hassle isn't work it and just run the Aluminum seat at all times.

Weights:
Jegs 18" seat: 12.6lb
Kirkey 18" Cover: 3.2lb
Racecraft Brackets: 3.5lb
Seat Brace: 2.5lb
Total: 21.8lb

From what I have seen on here, the drivers seat is around 46lbs and the passenger seat is around 41lbs.

This would end up being a net removal of 65.2lb for racing purposes.

Also should be seeing a set of Strange Front Race Brakes this week. I believe this should cut around 40lbs.

I ordered Optic Armor front and rear windows as well. My understanding is this should save about 47lbs. I would also remove the wipers and motors as they are not intended for use on the Optic Armor. This should remove another 10lbs.

Total Weight Savings: 162.2lbs.

I'm also planning to run with less fuel in the tank. I am going to be conservative and say I will run without 8 gallons of fuel. I need to keep enough in there because of the bucket removal. 8 gallons of E85 * 6.59lbs/gallon = 52.7lbs.

Total Raceweight Lost: 214.9lbs.

It sounds like I should find out what kind of power the new setup is putting down as well. Planning to put this thing on the dyno Friday morning.

Last edited by Only ERO's; 07-25-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Kirkey covers fit the Jegs seat ok?
Old 08-16-2016, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dmracing
The Kirkey covers fit the Jegs seat ok?
Yes, no issues.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup just got my jegs aka kirkey seat in too. The seat is made by kirkey it's the same thing with a jegs sticker on it. I'm bolting mine straight to the floor though since I'm 6'3".
Old 08-17-2016, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

A few more pieces came in today.

The Strange Front Brakes:

Need to get a couple pieces to connect the calipers to the brake lines.

Also got my Optic Armor Windshield and Rear Window:

Opened the Rear Window to take a quick peek at it:

There's no hiding what it is!

From a quick first glance, it looks like really nice stuff. Can't wait to get it on the car.

Last edited by Only ERO's; 07-25-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

I was able to get a dyno appointment scheduled for today. I figured it would be good to spend some time and get the tune dialed in. We made 13 full dyno hits, and did not have any major issues.

We drove through rain the entire way there and the way back. You know it is never a good sign when you see an orange caution sign that says: Accident Ahead. Sure enough, there was a semi laying on its side.

Getting this all set up for the dyno:

Straps Galore: Safety First!

Of the 13 hits, we did everything from Wastegate (made 12psi) to 30psi. Spent a little time focusing on mid range timing and was able to pick up some big power under the curve. Every hit was made with full exhaust out the back of the car, the air filters on, and full street trim. The converter was unlocked for each pull except one. We tried locking the converter once but it quickly slipped it. The best unlocked numbers were 1203HP and 1167TQ.

The car was on a Dynocom Industries 15000 Dyno. They are known to be a little stingy, or show fairly conservative numbers. The dyno operator has what he calls, the Dynojet correction, and printed me some Dynojet numbers.

Either way, those are just numbers and I am itching to get back to the track to test it out. All I know is the data logs from the dyno pulls show about 275lb/hr of fuel flow as compared to my previous drag passes. Hopefully those turn into quicker ETs and more MPH.

Here are a couple of videos:

Huge shoutout to Gerrot with Tuned By Gerrot and the North Iowa Area Community College (NIACC). It was a great day of putting some horsepower down!

Last edited by Only ERO's; 07-25-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a bad **** congrats!
Old 08-21-2016, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Spent a little bit of time with the car today.

Was able to swap to the new Strange Race Front Brake setup. Just need to get 1/2" lug nuts and the brake lines to finish the job. Hopefully will pick those up tomorrow.

Got the cowl pulled off and wipers removed to get ready to install the Optic Armor.

Also spent a little time and got the door bar out of the driver's door. Going to remove the passenger one when the car is off the hoist.

Also looked into installing the carbon fiber driveshaft. I didn't look close enough at the ad when purchasing. I was thinking of center to seal dimension and the ad was center to center. Needless to say, the driveshaft won't work.

A little bit of progress.

Last edited by Only ERO's; 07-25-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drool.. This car is amazing
Old 08-23-2016, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Really nice build.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SCott5
Drool.. This car is amazing
Originally Posted by a05c
Really nice build.
Thanks guys.

Was able to get the brake lines connected, the new lug nuts and the car is back on the ground. Took out the passenger door bar last night. Also got the new seat mounted.

The window guy won't be able to get over this weekend to install the Optic Armor. Might have to take this for a ride with the aluminum seat to see how I like it on the street. Sits much lower than the factory seat which is great. Allows for more head clearance from the bars as well as a better angle for the rear view mirror. Lots of bonuses aside from the weight loss.

Should be back next week with more updates.

Last edited by Only ERO's; 07-25-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What bracket for the rear of the seat is that? That's pretty sweet, I don't know if I've ever seen something like that.

I'm used to seeing small tubes and a plate welded to it (race car things where aesthetics are second hand) haha
Old 08-29-2016, 07:41 AM
TECH Resident

What bracket for the rear of the seat is that? That's pretty sweet, I don't know if I've ever seen something like that.

I'm used to seeing small tubes and a plate welded to it (race car things where aesthetics are second hand) haha
The bracket is from Stable Energies and is the I/O Port Seat Back Brace. It was not a cheap piece, but give me the flexibility I wanted.

At this point, I am still planning to run the stock seats on the street. I wanted something that would allow for me to easily convert between my factory seat and the aluminum seat. The floor brackets and seat brace are all bolt in. This would allow for me to change between the seats without much issue.

I looked around to find a solution and this was what I came across. I am not sure that it would pass tech at every track, or it might be frowned upon. But I don't think I should have any issue where I race.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

Had the glass guy stop by tonight. Ended up just replacing the windshield tonight. Going to get a rear molding before the rear window. Was able to salvage the front molding during replacement.

The glass guy couldn't believe how easy the install was. He also said he couldn't believe how clear it was. He was pretty impressed with the Optic Armor product.

Just some quick peeks.

I think I am going to take the car to an event and test and tune on Saturday. It is 1/8 mile only, but that should be just fine. Want to get the 60' back where it should be.

If my calculations are correct, the car should be a shade over 150lbs lighter with the passenger seat removed. Would be able to cut a little more weight by removing some fuel. I am guessing it will be just over 3700 going down the track. Let's see what the weekend brings.

Last edited by Only ERO's; 07-25-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Make sure to use good glass cleaner on it. I use Plexis and a clean Microfiber cloth to clean ours and it looks awesome after cleaning it.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:29 AM
TECH Resident

Make sure to use good glass cleaner on it. I use Plexis and a clean Microfiber cloth to clean ours and it looks awesome after cleaning it.
Will do.

Did you go with a roll bar mounted rear view mirror? If so, which one. Looking for feedback or insights before I order one.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Only ERO's
Will do.

Did you go with a roll bar mounted rear view mirror? If so, which one. Looking for feedback or insights before I order one.
Racecar... no rearview haha

Can't help you there.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Another thing to take into consideration, windshield flexing. A brace might be required in the center.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:15 AM
TECH Resident

Went down to Cedar Falls to make some more passes today during their 1/8 mile Grudge Event. Set a new personal best. Was only able to get 2 clean passes of the 5 I attempted.

On the third pass, it went 5.71 @ 126 to the 1/8. The fastest I had been to that previously is 5.84 @ 122.

I left on a little more boost the fourth pass, and when it hooked, I knew it was going to be a good pass. It was back to the good days when it left really hard. It ended up 1.32 60' and 5.59 @ 126 to the 1/8. These were on the same power level as the previous outing.

Tried turning it up for the last pass, but ran into some difficulties. There will be another day. Was happy with the new personal best time.

Last edited by Only ERO's; 07-24-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

Will be making a few changes to the car over the next couple of weeks. I am hoping to be able to sneak in a couple more outings this fall before snow. I have a minor surgery coming up and that might delay a few things.

I received my rear molding so I will be changing over to the Optic Armor rear window.

I will also be converting over to a Powerglide with a PTC Converter. I am planning to pull the 4L80 and have it freshened and then will put it up for sale. Will be selling all components to change over:
Jake's Stage 5 4L80 with D3 Brake, Auto Shift
Rossler Moroso Aluminum Deep Pan and Filter extension
Madman 4th Gen 4L80 Dipstick
Midwest Chassis Lightweight Tubular Crossmember, 98-02, 4L80
Circle D 258mm Triple Disk 1B Converter
And PST 3" Chromoly Driveshaft
Holley 4L80 Transmission Harness

Hopefully can sell the components as a package, but will consider individual sale when I get everything pulled. Will get the transmission freshened before putting up for sale.

Looking forward to see what I can run with the Glide. Hopefully will get 2-3 track outings before the end of year.

Last edited by Only ERO's; 09-16-2016 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply: SOM LAG Project: 394ci, 25.3, Twin PT7675 Gen 2's, PG, E85, 7-second Street Car