Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SOM LAG Project: 394ci, 25.3, Twin PT7675 Gen 2's, PG, E85, 7-second Street Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Received a notice that the trailer is completed. Here come the photos!

Old 09-26-2017, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Completed weight: 4810 lbs.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang that trailer is nice.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Only ERO's
I also have been fighting a nagging lower back / leg injury. From what I am reading online, it appears to be a herniated disc. It started with lower back pain, and now has pain shooting down my leg. It isn't too bad to stand / walk, or lay down, but sitting seems to aggravate both. Probably should schedule a doctor's appointment, but haven't gone that far yet.
Originally Posted by ta02zx10r
Better make that dr appointment. The longer you wait the closer to irreparable it gets. I've done that on shoulder surgery. BRUTAL rehab to say the least. Don't put it off. We're not made out of bouncy ball anymore like we were when we were kids lol
Originally Posted by milkey57
Yah that's to say it lightly... I have 3 herniated disks and no doctor wants to really fix the problem mainly because of my age (35) they fear that it will cause more complications further down the road. Now I deal with what you are and no activation in my left Achilles and severe atrophy in that leg. So my riding days are over :-/ it does make driving a standard fun at times too! take care of you're body before you are up **** creek without a paddle.
Originally Posted by ta02zx10r
I've heard they have synthetic discs now. Don't know much about them but don't ever agree to fusing them. You're mobility will be over with for sure especially with that many.
Originally Posted by Nali6.2
my sister in law waited a long time before getting checked out. it turned to a year out of work and a ton of dr. appts and physical therapy and surgery
Just a quick follow up on the medical stuff. It has been a LONG summer. July. I am still having the lingering pain in my left leg. I went through 7 appointments of Physical Therapy and 6 appointments with a Chiropractor.

Had an MRI and spine x-rays on Monday. MRI showed small disk extrusion (herniation) in the low back (at level L4-L5). The Spine Clinic Doctor stated that one would expect gradual improvement of pain over 2-9 months.

Two options they gave me for relief were a trial of a medication called gabapentin (daily medication to help with nerve pain, taken as long as needed for the pain) or try a steroid injection around the problem disk first.

Going through with scheduling the steroid injection. I know what kind of fun they are (had two in my knees to treat gout), but know it will be worth it in the long run if it eliminates the pain. Will love to get back to a normal lifestyle.

But the good news: my torque converter arrived back from PTC today and will pick up after work. I believe the transmission should be back from Rossler tomorrow (shipped Tuesday).

Will get this thing back on the road soon and see what other issues come up! Need to enjoy the last few weeks of decent weather.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enjoyed reading this thread, so many similarities to the stages I have gone through so far. LS6, LS6+D1SC, 390 (AES)+D1sc, 390+F1a, 418 (AES engine blew)+F1a, now going turbo.
T56-4L80e swap, long to short torque arm. Nice to see what the next few stages will likely be over the next few years! Thanks for the detailed posts
Old 09-29-2017, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99bluefirebird
Enjoyed reading this thread, so many similarities to the stages I have gone through so far. LS6, LS6+D1SC, 390 (AES)+D1sc, 390+F1a, 418 (AES engine blew)+F1a, now going turbo.
T56-4L80e swap, long to short torque arm. Nice to see what the next few stages will likely be over the next few years! Thanks for the detailed posts
Lots of similar stages through the builds. Good luck with your stuff in the future.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

Got the transmission back from Rossler and the converter back from PTC. Spent a little time getting everything back in the car last night. Took it around the block and everything seemed to be great. Should be able to spend some more time with it this weekend and put it to the test.

Can't say enough great things about Rossler and his crew too. Treated me very good with the component failure. Shoutout to those guys and I would highly recommend. It is pretty rare to find a standup company like that in the performance industry.

Planning to head to the track next weekend and see what kind of good or bad luck I may have.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Some people would give a nut to live in that trailer. Very nice. Good luck with the ride.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brons2
To me it's payload that makes the argument for a 3/4 ton a lot of times, and you allude to this in your 2nd paragraph. If you have 4 people and personal effects in a half ton and then you go and add tongue weight of any substantial amount a lot of times you'll be over the payload limit of the truck. I've had a couple of half tons where the tow rating was really just a paper rating, as they had payload ratings of only around 1400 lbs. If it's rated to tow 9000 lbs and you only have 1400 of payload to work with, at 10% tongue weight you've only got 500 lbs left. With even as few as two people (read: bubba-sized American adults), you'd have to put all your supplies in the trailer to avoid going over payload limit.

Speaking to the OP specifically...9100 seems a little low by modern standards even for a half ton, TFL Truck did one of their "Ike Gauntlet" sections on the Chevy version of the same truck and quoted a tow rating in the 11K range for their truck, I wonder what is different about the Denali? Maybe has a fancy AWD system?

[url]https://www.youtube.YKsU[/
At any rate, they towed 9000 pounds up Eisenhower Pass (over 11,000 feet) in Colorado and were able to maintain a respectable 57 MPH at WOT. An 80s 1 ton probably would have struggled to get much above 30-35 with a 9000# trailer...

In a separate segment they also did a towing test and managed over 10MPG towing a 7000 lb trailer on cruise on I-25 with the 6.2.

[url]https://www.youtub

With stats like these it's pretty hard to make an argument for the Duramax. But you could still make a case for a gas 3/4 just so you had the payload rating to carry 4 normal sized adults in the cab and maybe some suitcases and coolers in the bed. Of course if the OP doesn't need the ability to carry 4 adults while towing then it's a moot point. Also depends on the weight of the trailer, we know the car weighs 3600-3700, now how much for the trailer?
At any rate, they towed 9000 pounds up Eisenhower Pass (over 11,000 feet) in Colorado and were able to maintain a respectable 57 MPH at WOT

lold. Let me go WOT pulling a trailer for a few hours
Old 09-30-2017, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love rossler! There all stand up guys and build bad *** transmissions! They gave me a tour of the shop last spring. It's amazing how many parts they make in house and how much machining equipment they jammed in there
Old 09-30-2017, 12:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

That trailer is bad *** (CADILLAC), car is movin out too. Interested to see times to come. GL
Old 09-30-2017, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Only ERO's
Just a quick follow up on the medical stuff. It has been a LONG summer. July. I am still having the lingering pain in my left leg. I went through 7 appointments of Physical Therapy and 6 appointments with a Chiropractor.

Had an MRI and spine x-rays on Monday. MRI showed small disk extrusion (herniation) in the low back (at level L4-L5). The Spine Clinic Doctor stated uthat one would expect gradual improvement of pain over 2-9 months.

Two options they gave me for relief were a trial of a medication called gabapentin (daily medication to help with nerve pain, taken as long as needed for the pain) or try a steroid injection around the problem disk first.

Going through with scheduling the steroid injection. I know what kind of fun they are (had two in my knees to treat gout), but know it will be worth it in the long run if it eliminates the pain. Will love to get back to a normal lifestyle.

But the good news: my torque converter arrived back from PTC today and will pick up after work. I believe the transmission should be back from Rossler tomorrow (shipped Tuesday).

Will get this thing back on the road soon and see what other issues come up! Need to enjoy the last few weeks of decent weather.
Everything looks great! Sorry to hear about you're back still. I went threw the steroid injections and bs( last round was 8 bi-lateral injections) didn't really do much tbh. What has kept me going believe it or not is yoga. My surgeon suggested that I give it a shot. not gonna lie it was the best thing I have done for my back in the last 10 years.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 3 window
Some people would give a nut to live in that trailer. Very nice. Good luck with the ride.
Originally Posted by helicoil
That trailer is bad *** (CADILLAC), car is movin out too. Interested to see times to come. GL
Thank you for the good words. I ended up having the trailer transported to me. I actually got behind it at the off ramp prior to meeting in a parking lot. The trailer looked sweet going down the road. And is just as awesome up close. Very happy with it so far.

Got it over to my parents and started putting it together for race season. I went to Northern Tool yesterday and bought a 2000W Inverter Generator. Ended up going with the Powerhorse model instead of the Honda to save a couple hundred. The noise levels are very similar and figure for the amount I will be using it, the Powerhorse should be just fine. If it were more for life safety (backup power at home or something), then I definitely would have spent the money and gotten the Honda.

The first thing we did was load the car and see how it fit in the trailer. Loved the aluminum walls and floors and had to "clean it out" with the open exhaust around 9:00AM this morning. I am sure the neighbors loved it. After that we mounted the toolbox and TV. Temporarily connected power to the TV before having the generator wired. The TV will be nice for connecting to my laptop and was able to pick up quite a few local stations in HD. Might be able to keep some sports on at the track as well.

It was really nice to have the radio and speakers in there as well. Very happy with the options so far.

Need to get a winch here and installed and move a little more stuff in before racing next weekend. Can't wait to show it off at the track.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I'll say this I have 2 of the powerhorses and they have never let me down so I think you made a good choice.

Oh and I use them for work so that's running 6-8hrs a day everyday.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

I'm very curious to know how accessible the car is once it's in the trailer. I've seen some were access in and our of the car is very tight. I should get your address and stop by sometime to check the car/trailer out in person, I'm near Rochester as well.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with the comment about living in that trailer. I have a very simple enclosed trailer. The camaro barely fits in it with nothing else. I use it most for the rzr and 2 dirt bikes. It's basically a box on a trailer. When I get to the desert I pull everything out of it. Pull my generator out of the bed of my truck and blow up an air mattress inside. It's basically a very sturdy tent. I'd give a nut to camp in that thing. For a tv I use my laptop which I charge off my generator that I use to power lights. I'm all about making things work with what you have.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 89ROC-Z
I'm very curious to know how accessible the car is once it's in the trailer. I've seen some were access in and our of the car is very tight. I should get your address and stop by sometime to check the car/trailer out in person, I'm near Rochester as well.
So far, I have only drove the car in and backed it out of the trailer. It was plenty easy to do that, but I know there will be literally no room once it is in there. I will take a couple of photos later this week after it is loaded to go race. I am planning to winch it in an out of the trailer.

We can definitely meet up at some time.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

Spent a little time working on the car last night to get ready for this weekend's festivities (hopefully the rain stays away). I rewired a transmission pressure sensor that I fried on my first outing with open exhaust. I used copper tubing to connect from the servo to the actual sensor to get it away from the heat.

I also swapped transmission temperature sensors. I previously was using an Auto Meter 2259 Thermistor. This was is internally grounded and there always seemed to be a large difference between pan temperature and what I was actually seeing on the datalog. I switched to an Auto Meter 2252 (Delphi 12160855) Thermistor. I connected the ground from the ECU sensor ground.

I took the car out to put a couple of miles on it to check pressures and temperatures. So far everything looks good. I had PTC put a 10-element mechanical diode in the converter when it was refreshed to help with keeping temperatures down during street driving. For the little bit of thrashing and cruising I did last night, it never got over 180 on the datalog. Score! Will have to compare with the IR gun to compare next time out.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:00 AM
TECH Resident

The Story of 2017: A weekend of racing planned, but ruined due to weather. Tomorrow's track day was cancelled due to the forecasted rain. A bummer, but much better than traveling to the track to find out that it is cancelled.

I signed up for the Midwest Chassis private track rental for next Sunday. Should be a good time and from what I hear, an extra sticky track! Hoping to get some great feedback from Eric based on my launches to try to get the 60' down a bit.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

It was the maiden voyage for the trailer tonight. Drove down to Clinton, IA, about 265 miles from home, to spend the night for the Midwest Chassis rental at Cordova tomorrow.

Truck pulled the trailer with no issues. Fuel mileage was 9.1MPG.

Quick Reply: SOM LAG Project: 394ci, 25.3, Twin PT7675 Gen 2's, PG, E85, 7-second Street Car