Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SOM LAG Project: 394ci, 25.3, Twin PT7675 Gen 2's, PG, E85, 7-second Street Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Hopefully the weather goes your way. Keep us updated, as I’m sure you will. Good luck bud. Have fun with it.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 window
Hopefully the weather goes your way. Keep us updated, as I’m sure you will. Good luck bud. Have fun with it.
The weather was absolutely mint. Wasn't quite the tail wind that was forecasted, but more of a cross wind. But the temp was in the 50's and pretty much cloudy the majority of the day.

Just got home from Vicary Day at Cordova. First time to the track and extremely pleased with it. All except it was in the Chicago local region so the Chicago Bear game was on Fox instead of the Viking / Packer game. Oh yeah, how did that game turn out Packer fans!! The TV was a huge hit at the track.

I ran into Eric (MWC) early and talked to him for a bit about the track and what not. Said he would probably be at the line later in the day to video some launches and provide feedback. Was really happy with how he ran the show there. There were three lanes for standard test and tune, that typically ran in pairs, and then one other staging lane for some of the serious cars. All these were ran as singles. And it seemed like they were really focused on keeping the serious cars going down the track.

Went to the line to see the first bunch of cars run. It seemed like many were having trouble get down the track. I figured I would go make a hit and see what was in store for me. My plan was to make some 1/8 mile hits because I was hoping to run faster that 8.50 and also wanted to work on the 60'.

Pass #1: Was hoping to make a 25psi pass with a similar launch as at Great Lakes Dragaway on Labor Day. Honestly, I was really anticipating knocking the tires off. As I pulled into the water box, who is standing in front of me, none other than Eric himself. Followed his guidelines on the burnout, and lining up for the run. Brought it up on the brake, let go of the button and dead hooked and was off. The pass felt kind of lazy though. I got the ticket and it was a 1.296 60', which I was really happy with, and a 5.61@124 1/8 mile.

Got back to the pits, reviewed the log and saw a safety was hit and it reverted to wastegate. Know wonder it felt lazy.

Modified a few things in the tune and went back to make that 25psi hit.

Pass #2: Get to the water box but didn't see Eric. Went up and made the pass and dead hooked again. Pass felt much better.

Got the timeslip and was ecstatic! A 1.237 60' and a 5.374@129 1/8 mile.

After getting back to the pits, I went searching for Eric to review the video of that pass. Before I even pulled it up, he said it left nice and everything is working great. Looked at the video and asked him if I should tighten the fronts when bringing more boost in. He said no and let it eat.

Pass #3: Was turning it up to 29psi to see what we can net. Figured if it hooks, I would run it out through the 1/4 and see what it does. Pulled into the water box and Eric was there to instruct once again.

Left beautiful again. Followed the 1.23 with a 1.242 60' and ran a personal best to the 1/8 and 1/4. Eric told a couple of my buddies that I needed more preload in the ARB. Made those changes in the pits and turned the boost up some more.

Pass #4: The car hooked again, but didn't sound right and I aborted the run before the 330'. However, it was another 1.24 60'.

Decided to call it a day. Was happy with the results and figured there was more to work off the next time out. Will have to dig into that datalog and see what I can find on the 4th run.

Went to find Eric and thank him for putting Vicary Day on as well as his help and insights for the day. Will be back next year!!

On the way home, had to swing into the elevator to see what the rig weighed in at: Truck, trailer, car, supplies, two guys: 15,800.

I had weighed the truck when it was new and it weighed 5920 empty.

It pulled perfectly and had no issues whatsoever. The round trip fuel mileage was 9.6MPG.

Ended up being a great day. Even better when all I did to the car was check fluid levels, set the tire pressure, and adjust the ARB once. Never popped the hood between runs. 4 passes with 1.2x 60's and no maintenance. Pretty stress free.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:02 AM
TECH Addict

Nice job and nice runs. Your car’s an animal. Wish I would’ve taken a ride out there.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Amazingly smooth passes. Impressive.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice runs!! Was hoping to get up there to watch you run but didn't make it. Eric puts on a good track day!
Old 10-16-2017, 06:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dmracing
Congrats.
Originally Posted by 3 window
Nice job and nice runs. Your car’s an animal. Wish I would’ve taken a ride out there.
Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Amazingly smooth passes. Impressive.
Originally Posted by Gunters96lt1
Nice runs!! Was hoping to get up there to watch you run but didn't make it. Eric puts on a good track day!
Thanks fellas.

My Dad went with me to the track. Every other time he has gone, I have had some bad luck. Was good that he was able to see some clean passes.

My Dad is pretty old school: still uses flip phone, no texting, no photos, scared of the Internet although he is starting to use it, etc.

He was up by the water box watching one of my first passes and said there was a guy up there that said something like: "I have to get up here to watch / video this car. I have seen it before and it usually pulls big wheelies." My Dad was pretty amused by that. Just laughed to himself. I don't think he understands the online forums and having a build thread.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

awesome! those menscers are amazing! my car looks identical to yours out of the hole. everyone around me is standing there cars on the bumper and mine almost stays on all 4s. I finally got a real converter (PTC) and im going to let my nuts swing a little this Saturday. hoping for some 5.3/5.2 passes with the ole 4l80
Old 10-16-2017, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lmt0705
awesome! those menscers are amazing! my car looks identical to yours out of the hole. everyone around me is standing there cars on the bumper and mine almost stays on all 4s. I finally got a real converter (PTC) and im going to let my nuts swing a little this Saturday. hoping for some 5.3/5.2 passes with the ole 4l80
Agreed. Super happy with the Menscers and the control they offer compared to the Vikings I had. Well worth the money.

Snapped a photo of my 8.5" x 11" photo I bought from the track photographer over the weekend.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Making really good progress dude keep it up.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 375 Likes on 214 Posts

Great looking car. Awesome build man!
Old 10-17-2017, 03:04 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Who built the 390ci...?

Old 10-17-2017, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great updates!. That trailer is something else, top shelf everything. I saw there was a 20A circuit in there for AC, is that something you already have or just there in case you want to add it later?

8.22 first time out with a new transmission, you gotta be pretty happy with that. And man that launch, it's like flypaper now.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sbcgenII
Making really good progress dude keep it up.
Originally Posted by BlackSS4thgen
Great looking car. Awesome build man!
Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by LS6427
Who built the 390ci...?

I had a local company in Rochester here build it, Baier's Engine Service. I made the mistake of buying an AES 390 back in the day. Went through that hassle and joke in dealing with that horseshit company.

After I cracked a block, I went with the LSX block and kept it local. I liked the cubes the 3.825" stroke gave me. Small stroke, small bore.

Originally Posted by Brons2
Great updates!. That trailer is something else, top shelf everything. I saw there was a 20A circuit in there for AC, is that something you already have or just there in case you want to add it later?

8.22 first time out with a new transmission, you gotta be pretty happy with that. And man that launch, it's like flypaper now.
I trailer was wired for a future AC unit. Something that could be added later.

Transmission just freshened up. Was very happy with the first outing on it. Super happy with the way the car leaves right now. Want to keep it consistent. The Menscers have really helped after getting those dialed in.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

Well, last day of work for about 6 weeks. Going in tomorrow for a Diskectomy to repair a herniated disk in my back. It has been such a long, boring, mentally draining summer of dealing with the pain.

Woke up July 3rd with lower back pain and it soon started radiating through the leg. The pains have changed quite a bit over the last 4 months, but the pain has always been there. About the only way to explain it, when it doesn't hurt significantly, it is a combination of a charlie horse and a cramp in my lower leg that never goes away. From there, it gets significantly worse.

7 appointments at the Clinic, 7 appointments of Physical Therapy, 8 appointments at the Chiropractor, an MRI, back x-rays, and a cortisone shot in the back all lead to surgery TOMORROW!!

Can't wait to get back to leading a normal life. Through all of this, I was able to maintain work, only missing 2-3 days; mostly due to pain pills. Some days, I couldn't hardly stand, but still got by. Lately, it hurts to stand for much more than 10 minutes. Cheers to good vibes, healing, and getting back to normal.

Being out of work isn't going to keep me from buying car parts. Need to put together an update on Winter plans. Probably later today.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Good luck with the recovery. Get well brotha!
Old 11-11-2017, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

Had my surgery yesterday. The surgeons removed a portion of my disk about the size of a quarter that was messing with the nerve. Was one of the bigger pieces the Doctor has removed. Could definitely see that was causing the discomfort.

Overall, the surgery was very simple and successful so far. Fixed the nerve pain and the only pain so far is just the basic pain from the incision. Taking Tylenol and Oxy to stay aggressive on keeping that under control. Spent one night in the hospital, more for precaution but came home earlier today.

Back to the car stuff. I didn't mess with it much this fall due to the back issues. The last pass I made at Cordova, the car was acting strange. I had it turned up a little higher than I every had before. I have a feeling it was breaking up and blowing the spark out. I was overdue for a plug change and went to a Resistor Plug, instead of the non-resistor. Also decided to close the gap seeing that I had always ran them straight out of the box. Took it for a quick ride in some beautiful fall weather.

I also ran across a pretty good deal on a set of Smart Coils. I am probably at the point that it wouldn't be a bad idea for a better coil than the LS1 coils.

The coils are very simple on the valve covers and was going to keep them in that position. I ordered a set of the ICT Billet LS Billet Coil Brackets (for Holley EFI Coil Packs). They are a nice looking piece and priced very nicely at $50.

Grabbed my old set of valve cover to get these mounted to see what they look like. Sure enough, the first time through, I had them on upside down and those were the only photos I had.

The smart coils have a different connection on them so I ordered a new set of plug wires. I decided to try a set of Magnecor wires this time. They arrived yesterday while I was in the hospital, so I will grab a photo the next time I am at the shop.

I also have the wiring kit from Holley ordered, but that is on backorder. Holding off on installing it until everything is here. Will be looking to move the Firecore wires once I change over to these.

One of the other tasks I am planning for this winter is to clean up the wiring. It gets frustrating with trying to add a new input or output with everything connected under the dash. I am going to install Deutsch connector firewall bulkheads to route wires between the ECU and the engine bay. This way, I can disconnect the plugs from the ECU and the bulkheads, and easily add wires, and to the specific length on the workbench rather than under the dash.

Ordered some components from both Racewire Solutions and TE Connectivity.

I'm sure this will be a little bit tedious, but should turn out helpful in the long run.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Have couple of ideas that I am thinking about for updating this winter. Will see what comes about. The main plan is to cut some weight out of the car. Don't know what extent I will go, but will see what all comes across on sale or a good deal.

I ordered a solid bar to install in the MWC Anti-Roll bar to help stiffen things up. Two buddies have installed these and have been happy. It is a 3' long, 1" diameter round alloy steel 4340 bar that will slide in the ARB. I am pushing these bar pretty hard and figure anything I can do to beef it up will be helpful.

Going to take my stock passenger seat out and change over to a lightweight aluminum seat. Went on Jegs and found the Jeg's version of the Kirkey lookalikes were on sale for $140 instead of $120. Add on my NHRA discount and it brought it down to $112.50. Ordered the Kirkey black cover. Waiting for Black Friday and will order the Racecraft brackets for mounting.

The next piece for weight savings was a Carbon Roof. I am going to convert from a T-top to a hardtop to gain the weight savings. Have been looking at this for a few years, and just decided to buy. Ordered the roof from Mike Kostick and should receive something in December. Need to order the rails from MWC and try to find the weatherstripping and retainers from a salvage yard or partout car. Photos to come when it arrives.

Also ordered a 4" Ram Air Joe Van Overbeek Carbon hood. Going to convert from a bolt on hood to the pin on hood. Hoping to get a set of Dzus rails from MWC to make this transition simpler. Hood should be here in January. Photos to come when it arrives.

One final component I have been looking at for weight savings is a Tubular Front. I am surprised it has taken this long for a company to make but Rock Solid Motorsports has been in production on a setup. This should really simplify the front of the car, open a bunch of it up, as well as cut some weight. The following are the 3D renderings of the components for a Trans Am.

I am going to upgrade some components on the valvetrain side as well. The cam I am running isn't quite what I am looking for, but has served me well. Jumped on the BTR sale and ordered the 388" Cubic Inch Turbo Cam. 243/251, .627/.632, 117+5. Can't wait to get this installed and hear it!

Also upgrading on the Valve Springs. Bought the .685 lift sprint kit with titanium retainers.

One other component I have ordered is a set of CHE Trunions for Stock Rockers. Some buddies have expressed their satisfaction of these over my current set.

Hoping all of this will make a little more power and allow me to spin this thing a little higher. That should also help out with the converter slip.

Going to see what else comes up, but I have not ruled out buying new turbos and modifying the turbo kit. More photos, progress, and directions to come. Is it Spring yet?
Old 11-14-2017, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Some of the parts have started showing up. The UPS guy stopped by today with the new cam and valve spring kit.

It was difficult to leave these parts just sit there, but the cam alone listed as 11lbs on the Web and I figured I better listen to Doctor's orders.

It was nice to get out of the house and at least hang out in the garage tonight. Sort of going stir crazy already not being able to drive. I figure I will give that a couple more days.

Dad was bored and had everything ready to go.

Quick photo of the new cam specs:

As the cam came out, we noticed the very first lobe was scored pretty badly. Also pulled that lifter out to inspect the condition.

Have sent a note to Lil John as well as Johnson to see what insight they may have based on the failure. It was only the one lobe. The roller still rotates with no issues. The damaged was on the outsides of the lifters.

About the only positive thing to say, I'm glad I ordered a new cam otherwise wouldn't have found this right away.

FedEx dropped off the new CHE Trunions this morning.

I was putting together a parts list of everything for new turbos and a kit. Just seeing what all I may need in case it comes to it.

Will see what the rest of the day brings. Cars, it never ends.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you been logging oil pressure? Are you dry or wet sump?

Quick Reply: SOM LAG Project: 394ci, 25.3, Twin PT7675 Gen 2's, PG, E85, 7-second Street Car