Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SOM LAG Project: 394ci, 25.3, Twin PT7675 Gen 2's, PG, E85, 7-second Street Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Worked a little bit putting the car back together on Thursday and Friday nights. Seems like we would work for about an hour and then would take a step or two backwards. Have only drained water three times based on different things.

Thursday:
The paint was dry and ready for parts to be put back on. Started with reinstalling the hotside. During the install, swapped the springs in the gates to something a little smaller. Should be around 12psi on gate spring. From there, got the turbos back installed and cold side. Installed the radiator and hoses. Filled it full of water. Bot the boost controller installed and plumbed. Wired the fans (must say I love those Deutsch connectors).

Friday:
Installed the headlights and got those rewired. Took a little while and some trial and error (as well as some old school knowledge from a buddy) to get them reconnected properly. Installed the intercooler and finalized connecting all the cold side plumbing. Hung the fenders and bumpers. Spent a fair amount of time realigning the headlights, fenders, and bumper to get them to be fairly close. Will have the body guy finalize that as he will have much more knowledge of this. Installed the exhaust which allowed us to realign all of the hotside, turbos, etc to get the proper geometry and for everything to fit as it should.

Everything is very close. Mostly need to verify everything is tight and support the wires, etc. Have some minor wiring to do and hopefully it will be ready for a maiden voyage cruise.

Decided to take today off and going to attend some dirt track races. Planning to be back on this tomorrow.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Looks great Josh. Very nicely executed.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Took a little time to clean up wiring and get everything supported under the dash. Did a bit of housecleaning by vacuuming the car and then started working on the tune.

Have the driveability down but have a little bit of work left on the idle. Ended up going for about a 40 mile cruise last night.

Quite a few people have been telling me the law will be giving me crap about my exhaust. The only way to find out was to test it. Nothing better than taking the car straight down Broadway. There were lots of looks from people, especially with the hood off, but didn't run into any issues. Also never saw any cops.

I was looking at the sky and saw there was some nasty stuff on the way. Decided to make my way home based on the sky. But I couldn't pass up a quick photo opportunity with the way the sky was.

Made it back to the shop in the nick of time. Started sprinkling by the time we had gotten all the vehicles in the garage.

Hard to believe that I went 40 miles and never made any boost. Actually quite disappointing. I was also right over by the grain elevator but didn't run it across the scales.

Supposed to be hot this weekend so I am not sure how much I will play with the car the rest of the weekend. The drive is there, but it doesn't sound like much fun with the warm weather.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Congrats on puttin’ few miles on it. Huge milestone. And I agree, cars are no fun in the heat.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 3 window
Congrats on puttin’ few miles on it. Huge milestone. And I agree, cars are no fun in the heat.
Yeah, I don't have much desire to drive it nor beat on it with mid 90 degree temps.

I stopped down to a local shop to see the progress of a couple of cars today. Ended up with a small surprise that my hood was ready!!

Loaded that up and brought it home and set it on the car to see how it looks. It turned out awesome.

Just need to spend some time adjusting all of the mounts now and installing the springs.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Looks tough. Be sure to post up if/when you head out to Cordova or Byron. I’d love to see it.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 3 window
Looks tough. Be sure to post up if/when you head out to Cordova or Byron. I’d love to see it.
I am guessing I will be over that way at least once this year. I will probably be planning to head down to Vicary Day at a minimum. Will let you know if I head that way.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:33 PM
TECH Resident

Took the car out for a little bit last night. On the way to meet up, I rolled into the throttle on an onramp and finally made some boost on gate pressure. It was extremely lazy. Need to see if that was the tune or just the overall setup. Started coming alive above 4500, but seemed like forever to get there.

Met up with a couple of buddies and drove over to a cruise in last night. Came in with a GTO with twins, a Chevelle with a single turbo, and my car. Needless to say, they drew an instant crowd. Was fun being able to have the car out and talk about the setup and changes.

After leaving the show, I decided to swing by the grain elevator to see what she weighs this year. I always try to stop there after hours, just so there is no issue with interrupting business (the scale is always on). Was there a little before they closed, but the workers all seemed to give a big thumbs up and a smile as I came through there. She cracked the scales at 3440 with me in the car and a full tank of fuel.

I didn't have any safety gear with me, no hood, and no parachute. But I think those should be pretty close to offset having less fuel in the car.

I happened to have a Harley pull up next to me at the last red light on the way back. I really wanted to make another pull to get the data and clicked on the datalog. And sure enough, as soon as it went green, the bike tried getting after it hardcore. He got out a few car lengths before mine decided to wake up, but I came around him so fast it wasn't even funny. He didn't win the noisemaking contest, nor the race! I ran it to about 130 and let out. I slowed way down to let him catch up. Another huge grin and a big thumbs up. Needless to say, I think he was a little surprised.

Felt good to finally get after it, but I am already ready to turn it up. Needs more boost!
Old 06-14-2018, 12:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just read this entire thread start to finish. I laughed, i cried, it became a part of me lol. awesome car.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you been able to get to the track this year yet?
Old 09-13-2018, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

I agree I am well overdue for an update. Summer has come and gone too quickly. I really haven't done a whole lot with the car. The majority of the summer, it has sat in the garage. Been really busy with work for about the last two months and have had zero interest in messing with this thing. But, it is fall, and it is time to try to get serious with it to see what kind of money I can throw at it this winter. Let me see what all I can remember from this summer.

I went to Cedar Falls at the end of June to get some test passes on the car. There was rain in the forecast but was supposed to stay North of the track. After the first few cars went down the track, it started drizzling and put everything on hold. From there it cleared up, the track was dragged and a couple more cars ran. I suited up to make a hit and started raining again. This happened a couple of times. I was finally able to make two runs, and decided to call it a day. The car felt absolutely horrible. The converter was way off with the turbos, cam, and intake. It took forever to build boost and was still horribly off down low. The 60's were bad (1.50's) and took forever to bring boost in. The car ran both passes in the 9.0's at mid 150's. I was also trying to get used to bumping in, but the car did not hold on the third pass and bumped through the beams. At that time, I figured it was time to just load it up and get the converter stator changed.

I talked to Dusty, and when explaining how tight or sluggish everything felt, he said maybe I had damaged the diode. Pulled the converter and off to PTC to be inspected and stator changed.

I think I forgot to mention my MAP sensor issues earlier this year. Went for first start-up and my MAP sensor was pegged (very high kpa). I had the battery in the car completely disconnected as well as all of the harnesses disconnected from the ECU during the winter upgrades. A buddy (Ryan) was still working on his build / changes and I grabbed his MAP sensor to get my car going. I ordered him a new one from Summit.

Ryan's car was finalized in late June / early July while my converter was out, and the first start didn't go well. The MAP sensor was pegged. Brand new out of the box from Summit. Basically the same thing as mine, MAP was pegged. This went from brand new in the box to on the car. I called Summit and after about 3 hours of conversation, got them to send me one on exchange for the Dead on Arrival sensor. I received that sensor today, ran it over to Ryan's car, plugged it in, and the same thing. Pegged.

He has a 3-bar in the car for measuring crankcase pressure. We removed the signal pin from the 5-bar at the ECU and moved the 3-bar signal pin to read for the actual MAP sensor. Swapped the dropdown in the sensor parameters and the 3-bar read perfectly and the car fired right up.

I took all sensors back to my car and took photos of the dash for readouts (should read or match barometric pressure), Key on, engine off:
MAP sensor disconnected: Low Err.
MAP sensor I ran last year: 418.9kpa
MAP sensor I have run for the last month: 99.9kpa
MAP sensor I bought brand new last month for the black car: 503.6kpa
MAP sensor I received from Summit today: Hi Err.

[url=ht[img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1884/43945310554_8eca18140f_b.jpg

Finally worked with Holley and had a direct replacement sent to me and the sensor worked as it should.

I had been talking to my Dad about buying a foxbody Mustang for an all out race car. That way I could start with a light chassis. I get a call one day at work, and he said he bought a copper Foxbody.

Needless to say, it was almost the same color as my car. But he didn't realize, I would have bought a roller with at least a 25.3 cage and other good parts to save money on the build. We drove the Mustang for a couple of weeks and he sold it and turned a great profit.

Also, have been spending a lot of time tearing around with my nephew. He turns two in November and he loves hanging out in cars. We had him in my Dad's 68 Camaro and he was loving it. I think he is ready!

Even looks like he is ready to fire it up!

Got the converter back and liked the response difference I was seeing. Had to test the rolling burnout:

And also had to test the line lock:

Something tells me those will be there for a little while.

Last edited by Only ERO's; 09-15-2018 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

After getting the converter back, I thought I was ready to go test it out at the track. My plan was to do some transbrake testing with different RPM's and see how much boost I could turn. The first test went fine and waited for the transmission to cool. The second test, the brake didn't hold. Nor did any other test after that. I thought for sure the solenoid was shot. I ordered a new one from Rossler, received it, put it in and the same issues. The brake would not hold. From there, we dropped the transmission pan to see what we could find. The transbrake valve was jammed and the spring wouildn't return it to it's position. After removing the valvebody, we noticed the valve was actually bent.

Another call to Rossler and I had a new valve and spring coming. Got that and installed it. Dad asked me how I was going to test it. Reverse worked so I figured everything was good. Backed it halfway down the driveway and let it eat. I was dead shocked how well it hooked in the driveway. I'm sure Mom, nor the neighbors were as impressed as both Dad and I were.

Did a little street driving in the mean time. Got a photo from my brother who ended up being at the other side of the light

[url=ht

But ultimately, I wanted to get to the track and see what I could find out.

Went back to Cedar Falls in early August.

The first pass was starting to move in the right direction. Back down in the 1.3's for the 60' and ran 8.70@159.

I bumped the 2-step up 200RPMs and added a little boost. Ended up going up there and knocking the tires off. Looked at the log and it didn't seem to spin until all the boost was coming in. It wasn't the normal instant spin.

I have never had to put a boost curve or timing retard on the launch. But I decided to just to see how the car would respond. Went out and had a 1.36 60', 5.53@130 1/8, and 8.53@164 1/4.

At least we were making progress in the right direction. The car seemed lazy in high gear though. Looking at the log, it just seemed really sluggish for the first 2 seconds after the shift.

Was talking to my data guru and he thought it might be spark blowout. I agreed that could be the case. I had not adjusted the ignition dwell in the tune and had not changed spark plugs in a long time.

Got really busy with work and the car basically sat around for a couple of weeks. Swapped the plugs and updated the tune.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Was planning to head to Cedar Falls on September 8th, but they canceled the Test and Tune based on all the rain we had received earlier that week. My rain gauge was right around 6.5" of rain in 24 hours, so I wasn't surprised. I saw Rock Falls had a Test Day and decided to go there. I know Rock would be tougher on the NHRA rules, but wanted to get some data. Rock also has a reputation for a less prepped surface.

I was running to the gas station the night before going and the car had a horrible hesitation when rolling into boost. It would just spit, sputter, fall on face. Basically, do anything but what it is supposed to. I took a quick log and got back to the shop. Looked at the EGT's and saw #1 not doing anything. Significantly colder than the others. Coil was plugged in and tight. Plug wires were on and tight. Swapped the #1 plug and fired the car and could tell the difference in the sound and had the power it should. Took it for a quick test and it was back. I was a little surprised but still had it turned up from the last track out. We were ready to go.

Got to Rock and backed the car out of the trailer and could tell things weren't right again. Went and got teched in and then checked over the number #1 hole again because the EGT's showed no heat. Swapped the plug again and went and made a hit. I was only planning to make a 1/8 mile hit because I didn't want to go faster than my cert.

Made my first run and the car hooked but only went mid 1.4's, and ran a 5.91@119. My first thought in the car was this was boring, as well as, what the hell is going on.

Go back and look at the log and realize I hit a safety in the tune. I was losing fuel pressure and hit the safety for fuel pressure / injector duty %.

Started looking things over to see what was going on with the fuel pressure issues. Looked a couple of different things and couldn't find anything. Messed with the fuel socks and decided to make another hit. Fired up the car, and could tell right away #1 wasn't right again. We ended up swapping coils on #1 and #3 and wires on #1 and #5 to see where the ignition issue would go. Car fired up and ran perfect. Went and made my 2nd hit.

Car launched harder and just felt better, but nosed over again because of the safety a little ways before the 1/8 mile. I was happy to see the numbers coming around on the slip. 1.27 60', 5.37@126 to the 1/8 and coasting to a 9.08.

Launched at 11.1psi. Fuel safety reverts to gate pressure around 3.3 seconds in and falls to 13psi by 4.3 seconds into the run. Was very happy with the 5.37 and know it has more in it when I can make it to the stripe under full power.

Decided to get a little more aggressive on the boost curve as well as add a couple lbs downtrack. Jumped in the car and the bad idle / stutter was back. Started messing with the coil connector on #1. You could move it one way and it would cut out and move the other and it would be fine. Tried to rig it with zip ties where it would stay connected. Ended up knocking the tires off at 1.08 seconds into the pass and still went 1.36 60'. Was a little aggressive on the launch, but think it would stick on a little better of a track.

Ended up making one more run with the boost curve back to the initial setup. Went 1.29 but hit the fuel safety earlier because of the higher boost. Decided to call it a day and look into the issues.

Unloaded the car at home and the ignition issue was back. Got home and really started looking at the coil connector and comparing it. It appears the power terminal on #1 was slightly marred and had a larger opening compared to the other terminals. I am assuming that is why it would sometimes have a good connection, and other times not. Ordered a replacement and will see if that resolves it.

Not 100% sure yet on the fueling issues. Have a couple of things to check. But I guess it was a step in the right direction and hopes this thing will be faster than last year.

Going to try to get everything resolved and back over to Rock Falls for the One Guys Garage private rental for their Drag Weekend on 9/21.

The one thing I will say: Those EGT's are worth every penny when trying to diagnose problems. Extremely helpful and highly recommended. Hopefully better news coming soon!
Old 09-13-2018, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Awesome update. Always a pleasure reading your post. Best of luck to you. Hope to see you lay a few passes down this year.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:09 PM
Teching In

This is by far one of the top build thread I have read threw! I'm very glad to see you have kept up with it for so long! Not many people do. Really love your car man and I'm ready to see you get that 7! Where do you work at and what do you do?
Old 09-14-2018, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TexasHavoc88
This is by far one of the top build thread I have read threw! I'm very glad to see you have kept up with it for so long! Not many people do. Really love your car man and I'm ready to see you get that 7! Where do you work at and what do you do?
Appreciate the good words. It is coming around and hopefully will get there soon enough.

I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and originally did designs for construction / building renovations. From there, I got into the Project Management side. Lately, I am now an Operations Manager for a Property Management company. Our parent company bought a former IBM site and I am on the property management side of that. 3.2 Million square feet all under one roof. 34 buildings in total. I believe it is 10 current tenants, and other miscellaneous groups on site. We are bringing the third person locally on board next week.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

Ran over to Rock Falls Raceway again last weekend to see if we had resolved our Fuel Pressure and/or Electrical woes. Had found a melted fuse holder and had high hopes after that.

For the first pass, I put the same tuneup in the car that went 1.27 and 5.37@126 to the 1/8 the weekend before.

The pass felt good but it still nosed over slightly before the 1/8 mile. Actually about 4.9 seconds into the run. I could see the 8.90 pop up on the scoreboard as I had coasted through the 1/4. Got the slip and was fairly happy with the 1.26 60' and the 5.32@134.

Played with some boost curves, boost levels, and launch RPM for the rest of the day. Ended up with (3) 5.3x's passes, all with different setups. Was able to reel in (2) 1.245 60' times as well.

Saw my highest boost level to date that weekend at just slightly under 35psi. Would actually like to be able to use it and see what this thing will run.

Very happy with how the car was leaving. I did knock the tires off on the third pass 1.02 seconds into the pass. I tried getting a little aggressive with the boost curve. I am very happy with the consistent 1.2x 60's I have been seeing.

I made a few changes to the electrical system since the last outing. I put a 220A alternator on the car and replaced the #2 alternator wire with a 1/0. I am seeing consistent voltages on the street now around 13.7V with all the fuel pumps and fans on. I used the #2 wire as a ground wire from the block to the engine. Also rewired some of the fuel system. Even went back to my old fuel filter to see if that would fix the fuel pressure issues. Nothing seemed to help.

Turned the garage into a lab bench and tried a couple different tests. We think we may have found a bad pump. I ordered a replacement and will get that installed mid-week and report back.

I am planning on attending the Midway Shootout at Cedar Falls next Saturday. I am hoping to participate in the Road Warriors class that Nathan Shaw is putting on.

If the fuel pressure issue is resolved, I will be trying that.

The weekend after, I am planning to head to Cordova for Vicary Day on Sunday October 14th. I am signed up and I know the track was set on kill last year with a lot of personal bests.

Winter is coming too soon. Trying to play around as much as possible here this fall.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 375 Likes on 214 Posts

Creeping up on it! Good luck Josh! You are getting there.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Only ERO's

More of Mother Nature in 2018. The event at Cedar Falls was canceled on Friday. We decided to head to Rock Falls as the weather looked clear over there. But luck wasn't with us there either. Spent all morning trying to dry the track but couldn't quite get it in race shape.

Hotel is booked for Vicary Day next weekend at Cordova. Will see what we can put together down there.

Originally Posted by BlackSS4thgen
Creeping up on it! Good luck Josh! You are getting there.
Thanks Kenny. Can't wait to actually be able to put a solid pass together making power the entire way. Those Menscer's you just got are going to help you a bunch. Can't wait to see the results.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Might actually have to take ride to Cordova and check it out!

Quick Reply: SOM LAG Project: 394ci, 25.3, Twin PT7675 Gen 2's, PG, E85, 7-second Street Car