Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Looks great. Very nice work.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

JT does awesome work. Car looks great man. Hope to see you and meet up somewhere this season.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 06_Chevy
Highly impressed! Especially with the little time it took to get done.
Around here its a 3 to 4 month wait to get the car into a shop then another 4 or longer to complete it.
I reserved my spot for November back in February. Wanted to make sure I was able to get in during the off season with enough time to get everything ready for Spring after it. John kicked the cage out very quickly though through the holidays and PRI.

Originally Posted by rryan5429
JT does awesome work. Car looks great man. Hope to see you and meet up somewhere this season.
Will be out and about as long as we don't get the rain like last summer.

The cage got the first coat of paint tonight:

More to come soon!
Old 01-24-2019, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Been spending time over the last couple weeks working on the car here and there. The fuel system is installed, plumbed, and wired. I will have to grab some photos the next time the car is in the air.

Lately, most of the time has been focusing on the wiring.

Here's where things started this year:

Started by removing as many of the wires as possible. Also disconnected a bunch of them and labeled for future relocating / reconnecting / rerouting.

Was able to get to this point by last weekend:

Most of the wires are removed, disconnected, labeled, etc. Have a portion of the mess in the passenger side cleaned up.

Mounted the ECU board. Haven't verified the final location but mostly looking to see how it looked at the size.

Started the mockup / fit-up of the electrical board earlier this week. Was able to get the Leash board, the Bussmann board, and the Deutsch disconnects mounted. Also have some other miscellaneous components mounted and ready for fit-up.

Here is the latest updates of where I am at tonight.

And the backside of the board before tying cables together and installing cable mounts.

Hopefully will find some time over the next couple days to make a little more progress on the board.

We have been pretty fortunate so far this winter but it has turned really cold and here through at least next week. Will be spending time in the shop.

Was also able to stock up a bit on VR1 from the Amazon sale. Have 60 quarts that showed up last week.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Horn ??
Old 02-01-2019, 02:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Duh gotta beep 3 times at the guys on the street when ya roll racing!
Old 02-19-2019, 12:35 PM
TECH Resident

Haven't updated in a while but continue to plow through the wiring. I will have to grab a couple of updated photos tomorrow night.

The wiring board should be very close if not completed. All of the connections on the back of the board to the 5 connectors are done. The Leash board, Bussmann board, ground terminal block, and Transbrake / Bump solenoid are fully wired.

Through the car, we have updated a couple of the power and ground connections. The ECU board is fully wired, powered, relay triggers, and the coil power and grounds complete.

The overhead switch panel is wired back to the main wiring board and terminated in the Switches connector.

The cooling fans, power windows, starter exciter, and alternator exciter are completed and terminated in the Large Accessories Connector.

The majority of the Accessories Connector are completed, terminated and installed. All of the front and rear lights, linelock, horn, trunk release, and trans fan are completed. Have a couple wires to complete to finish the boost control solenoids.

Started on the Dash / Trans connector last night. Was able to get through the turn signals, bump button, transbrake button, and dash switches last night. Will be jumping into the EGT connections next as well as some other sensors.

Also have the Main Holley Harness reconnected.

More miscellaneous wires to run and sensors to hook up. I believe the car is close to attempting to refire. The only wires I can think that I need to run for this are the Neutral Safety Switch. Also need to finalize all of the Holley connections from the computer to the Holley Connector.

Slowly but surely.

Planning to work again tomorrow night or Thursday night depending on weather. Will grab some updated photos then. Record snowfall here in February.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

Grabbed a few photos of the wiring board on Thursday. We got to a point to actually run power through the car and test a few things to see what issues we would have. The instant we turned the power on, we blew some fuses. So there was some troubleshooting there.

Ultimately ran into a couple minor things. The power windows would not work. I ended up having the 87 and 30 pins backwards on the relays on the bussmann panel. Rewired those and didn't blow anymore fuses and the windows went up and down as they should.

One minor issue I have to fix: The racewire overhead switch panel has the illumination lights connected to 12V battery power. So anytime the power is on to the car, the switches would be lit up. I talked to Brian and he wires the majority of his panels this way thinking more of race cars. This was the lights would be on whenever power is on to the cars and can find the switches at night. I talked to him and I am going to rewire the illumination lights to be connected to 12V Ignition power.

Saturday was the day to see the true test. I wanted to start the car to see whether or not it would start. We put some E85 in it, and plugged the fuel pump relay in and there were no leaks. Went and hit the Starter button and after turning over for a few seconds, she lit right off!!! SCORE!!!! Just a little idle video to start 2019. Can still see the wiring mess, but it is coming together. Still have a bunch of sensors to connect, and then will go through and tidy up the wiring. Such a good feeling to hear it run.

Also a couple of photos from the wiring board from Wednesday or Thursday. A few revisions since then.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

Decided to run onboard air this year. I bought a Viair 10000 air system and currently planning to use for boost control. May end up using for other things (potentially air shifter, chute release, etc) in the future.

The system came in yesterday and got everything mounted and wired. Seemed to fit well and for the most part out of the way on the opposite side of the battery.

I used a relay module from Leash Electronics instead of the fuse / relay combo that came with the system. These are quite nice for the $20 price point. More expensive than a standalone relay and fuse, but well worth it in my mind. Very compact and clean.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the Viair on my Mustang. Love it. Inexpensive and always there and really not much weight to it.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have Viair as well, works awesome. Did yours come with that black tank?
Old 03-01-2019, 07:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by svslow
I have Viair as well, works awesome. Did yours come with that black tank?
Yes it did.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

We continue to make progress on the wiring. On Saturday, we pulled wire to the final 4 sensors, which completed the rewire of all of the auxiliary sensors. Everything is connected from the wiring boards through Holley and to the sensors. Need to run through and verify all of the sensors read properly and then work on pulling the old wires and looming / organizing the new wires. Things are getting much closer.

I need to get the vacuum out and clean our mess up. Will try to get some photos this week as things appear to be farther along. Continuing to get this thing ready for Spring!! I can't wait.

My Brother's birthday is today and we had celebrated yesterday. My nephew (2 years / 4 months) is absolutely car crazy which is surprising because my brother was never much into cars. We asked my nephew if he wanted to go out to the garage and see the racecars and his response was "Yaaaaaa".

He spent a little time driving my Dad's 68 Camaro RS/SS:

He also spent some time in the race car. He was all over the steering wheel and the shifter. Ready to go!! The best part was he wanted me to sit in the passenger side so we could get going. Hopefully, he continues the car craze!!

Old 04-26-2019, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

Overdue for an update. Been fight another herniated disk and then gout in my foot for the past month. I haven't had much motivation for the car.

But....the car is back together.

The wiring project is complete, for now (it's never truly done). So far, I have 2-3 wiring issues I need to chase down. There are a couple of things that aren't reading but aren't the most necessary things. I didn't think that was too bad.

Mounted the Holley Digital Dash directly on the Glasstek dash. I am planning to update to V5 on Holley and then I can stow away the USB wires you see there. Also mounted my switch panel in the dash with room in case I need to expand.

Mounted the DMH carbon fiber door panels.

A late change to the game was a new third member. I ended up getting a Strange HD Pro Aluminum center, lightweight spool, and 3.50 gears.

Officially took a maiden voyage last Friday. Put about 40 miles on without issues. However, I didn't have the boost controller ready and quickly realized how "boring" 12lbs of boost is again! But it was still fun to lay some "11s" and get the car back out on the street.

I was really hoping to go to the race track tomorrow, but instead, we are supposed to get 2-5" of snow. Lost interest in finalizing a few things this week because of that. Hopefully will get this to the track in mid May.

I had bought a Meziere WP319 Electric Water pump but didn't even think to make sure it would fit. Was looking things over before changing and realized the depth would not work with my charge pipe.

I have both the water pump and the third member (Strange Nodular Iron, Wavetrac, 3.25 gears, etc) in the classifieds.

Hoping to have more updates sooner than later.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

Not much to report here but thought I would throw an update on here. Haven't spent much time with the car at all as I have been fighting the back / leg / nerve pains from a herniated disc.

I wanted to get out to the track this past weekend just to lift some spirits. Got the onboard air setup and only threw 10lbs on top of the gate to test it. Went out and just made a couple of hits rolling into the throttle at 60mph and everything worked as it should. I know the car felt boring at 12lbs and felt significantly better at 22. At least brought some sort of a smile to my face.

Was trying to decide whether to go to Grove Creek or Cedar Falls for testing. Grove Creek was scheduled from 9-4 but was supposed to rain from 1 through the afternoon. Cedar Falls was scheduled from 3-7 but was supposed to be overcast but nice. Decided to head to Cedar Falls. Needless to say, I continued looking at their FB status on the way down and noticed they canceled when we were about 25 miles out.

The 2019 racing season is looking like the 2018 one.
First attempted outing: Snow
Second attempted outing: Rain

Ho hum.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

What paint did u use on your cage?
Old 05-20-2019, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MIAmotorsports
What paint did u use on your cage?
Rustoleum Hammered Black. Brushed on.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

I finally was able to get out to the track and get some runs in. And it felt great! Wanted to do a couple of shakedown runs to see how the gearing was going to affect the car and see if we had any issues. Good news to report, pretty much everything worked great. I have a couple of sensors to adjust, but that is minor. We went to Grove Creek (1/8th mile) and the prep usually isn't the best there. I decided to lower the 2-step from 5000-4600 and also throw a timing retard in on some of the launches. Was hoping to get an easy baseline and can always modify from there.

Wastegate spring nets about 12psi.
1st Pass: Ran 10lbs on the gate in 1st gear and 15lbs in 2nd gear with a timing retard. Just a simple hit to start the year. Netted a 5.61@131 with a 1.39 60'. I could tell it was really lazy down low but felt good on the shift.

2nd Pass: Plan was to run 15lbs in 1st gear and 20lbs in 2nd gear with a timing retard. Ended up annihilating the tires.

3rd Pass: I switched a Boost versus Time curve instead of a RPM based curve. Ran 10lbs on the gate for .5 seconds and ramped to 20lbs in 1.9 seconds with a timing retard. The tires chattered a little bit and I pedaled in the 60' but ran it out. Ran a 5.64@135 with a 1.49 60'.

4th Pass: I ran 10lbs on the gate for .5 seconds and ramped to 25lbs in 1.9 seconds with a timing retard. I could tell down track this pass felt good but go out of it a bit early. I ran a 5.37@134 with a 1.38 60'. I was really happy to net that quick of a time at this track and instantly called the day a success.

5th Pass: We wanted to compare a couple of things so I decided to pull the hood off. I wanted to see if the car would go faster with more airflow to the filters. However, I ended up forgetting to turn the boost controller on. Ended up with a wastegate pass with a launch retard. 5.92@122 with a 1.43 60'. I tried sneaking in the staging lanes for one last pass but couldn't.

Sorry about the short videos of only the launches. I will have to talk with the guy videoing (ahem Transam69230!) to get the entire pass.

Everything felt good. I left the car in the trailer and hoping to get out to the track next weekend (love those days of having to do nothing to it). No holding back from there. Going to throw more at it and hopes for the low 1.2x 60's and see if we can get into the low 5's and hopefully that 7 second pass! The gearing change looks like it made a world of difference in 1st gear. I expect that will help from the same settings I was at last year as well as planning to run a little more boost and potentially a little more timing. Very happy with the results so far.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Another weekend, another track outing. Does that mean the weather is starting to cooperate? Nope. We went over to Rock Falls Raceway yesterday looking for that 7-second pass. Rock Falls received some overnight rain and the starting time was delayed from 9 AM. I was glad they decided to dry the track but that is about where it ended. The track went hot about 1 PM and there weren't many cars there. It was very nice because you didn't have much waiting in the staging lanes to do a pass.

I changed the tune up to match pretty much everything from an average pass there last year. Launch RPM, boost curve etc. Kept it on a boost versus time as compared to a boost versus RPM. But the settings were the same.

First pass, I got up there and did a burnout and rolled through (under no power) the starting line. I back up and see this great path of fresh rubber from my M/T Pro Radials. Here the starting line guys is making the motion of no burnouts through the starting line. Was quite frustrated with that. They even made an announcement later that day that only dragsters are allowed to go through the beams during a burnout. Well, needless to say, I destroyed the tires on launch anyhow. This was the start to the day.

Second pass, left most everything the same, but put a launch retard in the car. It got through there and went 5.42@134 and 8.31@169 with a 1.33 60'. The tuneup was pretty on point because the pass I compared to was a 1.26 60' and a 5.37@126 pass. Add that launch retard in there and pretty close.

That is where the fun ended. Added a little more power and knocked the tires off on pass 3.

Made suspension changes on pass 4 for spinning. Still spun.

Made more suspension changes on pass 5 and still spun.

Made more suspension changes and launch retard changes on pass 6 and spun.

Changed launch retard on pass 7 spun, pedaled and ran to about the 1000'. Nothing special to write home about. Mostly wanted some quarter mile speed data.

Needless to say, the nickname "Slippery" Rock was back. Oh well, **** happens.

We will see where things go in the near future. I have a meeting with the neurosurgeon on Monday for my herniated disk. Hoping to get into surgery as soon as possible. This will probably put me out of racing for 8 months. I won't be rushing anything because I would like a full recovery and no setbacks.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the passes. You'll get there, just keep at it! I really like your car!

Quick Reply: SOM LAG Project: 394ci, 25.3, Twin PT7675 Gen 2's, PG, E85, 7-second Street Car