Go Back  LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion > LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LS7 PERFORMANCE > Forced Induction
Reload this Page >

SOM LAG project: 390ci, OGG TT, PT6766's, PG, E85, Holley EFI, 1240HP/1167TQ

Notices
Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SOM LAG project: 390ci, OGG TT, PT6766's, PG, E85, Holley EFI, 1240HP/1167TQ

Old 06-02-2019, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another weekend, another track outing. Does that mean the weather is starting to cooperate? Nope. We went over to Rock Falls Raceway yesterday looking for that 7-second pass. Rock Falls received some overnight rain and the starting time was delayed from 9 AM. I was glad they decided to dry the track but that is about where it ended. The track went hot about 1 PM and there weren't many cars there. It was very nice because you didn't have much waiting in the staging lanes to do a pass.

I changed the tune up to match pretty much everything from an average pass there last year. Launch RPM, boost curve etc. Kept it on a boost versus time as compared to a boost versus RPM. But the settings were the same.

First pass, I got up there and did a burnout and rolled through (under no power) the starting line. I back up and see this great path of fresh rubber from my M/T Pro Radials. Here the starting line guys is making the motion of no burnouts through the starting line. Was quite frustrated with that. They even made an announcement later that day that only dragsters are allowed to go through the beams during a burnout. Well, needless to say, I destroyed the tires on launch anyhow. This was the start to the day.

Second pass, left most everything the same, but put a launch retard in the car. It got through there and went [email protected] and [email protected] with a 1.33 60'. The tuneup was pretty on point because the pass I compared to was a 1.26 60' and a [email protected] pass. Add that launch retard in there and pretty close.

That is where the fun ended. Added a little more power and knocked the tires off on pass 3.

Made suspension changes on pass 4 for spinning. Still spun.

Made more suspension changes on pass 5 and still spun.

Made more suspension changes and launch retard changes on pass 6 and spun.

Changed launch retard on pass 7 spun, pedaled and ran to about the 1000'. Nothing special to write home about. Mostly wanted some quarter mile speed data.

Needless to say, the nickname "Slippery" Rock was back. Oh well, **** happens.

We will see where things go in the near future. I have a meeting with the neurosurgeon on Monday for my herniated disk. Hoping to get into surgery as soon as possible. This will probably put me out of racing for 8 months. I won't be rushing anything because I would like a full recovery and no setbacks.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Congrats on the passes. You'll get there, just keep at it! I really like your car!
Old 06-12-2019, 01:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Only ERO's View Post
We have been pretty fortunate with weather so far this winter. I was able to take the car for a quick spin on Thanksgiving morning. But ever since then, it is back to its winter position:

I did some minor Black Friday shopping. I bought a engine diaper from Motion Raceworks. Figured this was long overdue and will be good for the safety aspect:

Was in Indy last weekend for the PRI show. Ended up buying one item there, in the safety category as well. Was looking at HANS devices last year but never ended up buying one. I am hoping this never comes into affect, but figure it is good to be wearing one.

Necksgen just came out with their new Rev 2 Lite. They were running a small show special so I bought one. Another safety item I overlooked in the past but figured it was a good piece to have.

Attachment 593163

Attachment 593164

Attachment 593165

Attachment 593166

Attachment 593167

Their booth was hopping all weekend. I'm sure they sold quite a few of these. Very lightweight. PRI was awesome to be able to see all of the stuff the vendors brought. Also neat to see the celebrities running around and also to put some faces with some names I have worked with in the past. Very cool event.
How does that diaper fit around the alternator ?

Do you have any pics ?
Old 06-12-2019, 07:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6 View Post
How does that diaper fit around the alternator ?

Do you have any pics ?
Didn't have any problems. I don't have any right now, but I should be over there tomorrow night. I can try to remember to grab a photo or two from below.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Only ERO's View Post
Didn't have any problems. I don't have any right now, but I should be over there tomorrow night. I can try to remember to grab a photo or two from below.
Good to know. Thanks
Old 06-14-2019, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Car talk / update for the day.

First and foremost: gjohnsonws6, yesterday ran long. I didn't end up getting those photos for you. Will try to remember for the weekend.

Wednesday night, I ran over to some friends' shop. My buddy Steven was tuning a Boss Hoss. My understanding is that the bike was an LS7 with some spray and on Holley Dominator. Steven was working on traction control for it. Pretty dang sweet. The guy had an enclosed with 4 Boss Hoss's inside. The rear tire was a Mickey SS Drag Radial and Double Beadlocked. Was a really cool setup and neat to see!

As I was getting ready to leave, Steven asked if I was bringing the car on Thursday to dyno. Pretty cool idea for my birthday. Made a quick call to say I wasn't going into work.

Started Thursday by driving the car to the gas station to get some E85. The parachute and car caught the eye of an elderly gentleman. Chatted with him a bit about the car. He couldn't believe I was driving that on the street and the power it made. I had mentioned I was running it down to the dyno to dial it in. He drove in a quick circle around the parking lot and came back and had to wait for me to start it.

From there, I hopped in the car and made the 20 mile trip to the dyno. Yeah, slightly risky, but was hoping for good vibes for the day.

We got the car up on the stand and strapped to the rollers.

Straps galore!!

The goal for the day was to do some comparison tests and ultimately get the car dialed in and play with timing. Wanted to see what some changes do. Mostly focused on picking up as much power under the curve as possible. Wanted to do this at different boost levels to dial in the entire timing table. Right from the get-go, we saw stupid gains by adding timing. We ended up picking up 110 peak HP on 24lbs.

From there, we jumped to 30lbs and got a baseline on low timing. We made a hit and saw 1275HP with the air filters on.

The next step was pulling the filters and get the temps back to the same level and do the pull without air filters. After looking through the data, we confirmed everything looked consistent. The end number, 1255HP! Whaaaat??? It made 20HP less with the filters removed. Needless to say, I was shocked.

We also threw up to 35psi at it and played with some timing. There were periods that we were seeing 40-55HP gains from 0.7* of timing. I couldn't believe what we say by small timing changes. We were laughing at some of it. We ended up calling it a night as I was late for birthday dinner.

Overall, we ended up making 19 full dyno pulls today! WOW!! The top pull ended up being 1374HP, uncorrected.

I am pretty sure the parts but mostly the tires hated us. The dyno took its toll on them. The ole Radial Pros were completely balled up.

I was on my way home and had a pickup pull up beside me. I could see the guy keep looking over. All of the sudden, the rear window rolls down and a 7-8 year old kid was motioning for me to get after it. I got a little further down the road and rolled into it at low boost and destroyed the tires for him from a pretty good roll. I had pulled off to make a left turn, and the driver drives by clapping out the window as he went by. Pretty sure I made the kid's day!!!

All in all, a great day.

The RPM and the TQ numbers are not accurate. We used the rollers and gear ratio to calculate speed on the dyno rather than a tach pickup. Sometimes using the optical to pick up RPM gets skewed from motor and car movement. We looked at more of the data on the computer to determine how far it was pulling as well as the peak torque locations. But this gave us the consistencies we need to see the changes. The base numbers did not have dyno skewed numbers the Internet is used to. I have also added the STD numbers.

It has been a long year so far fighting the herniated disk and the nerve pain it caused. This turned out to be a great day and super thankful for Steven to free up a day from his busy schedule to fit me in.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Josh. Iím not worried about photos. You say it clears than it clears. Happy belated birthday. Looks like you had a fun day. Hopefully those 7ís are coming up in your future.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Happy late bday..them are some nice numbers and bad *** car
Old 06-23-2019, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6 View Post
Thanks Josh. Iím not worried about photos. You say it clears than it clears. Happy belated birthday. Looks like you had a fun day. Hopefully those 7ís are coming up in your future.
Originally Posted by ovaboost View Post
Happy late bday..them are some nice numbers and bad *** car
Thanks guys.

Any faster times are going to be on hold for a little while. I have the back surgery this coming Friday and will be down a couple of months I am sure. I was hoping to get out one last time and see if I could click off that 7-second pass but it will have to wait. The forecasts looked terrible for everything around the area. Decided not to pursue anything and it ended up being nice. A little frustrated with that. But, It will make things that much sweeter when I am feeling well and it runs it.

I was able to get into the Duluth Street Drag Races. Looking forward to running up there as the event looks really neat. Will be a nice weekend getaway and Duluth is always a fun town. Hoping the recovery goes fast enough to allow me to run in this.

http://www.kernkompany.com/kia-of-du...aces-car-show/

Not planning for many updates soon. Car will mostly be sitting around as I recover.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

Good luck with the surgery
Old 07-08-2019, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls3fox View Post
Good luck with the surgery
Thank you

Surgery went well and have been recovering as planned. I stopped by the garage last night and fired up the car to listen to it a bit. Wanted to crawl in it so bad and take it for a spin. Going to be a long month.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome power. Youíre all set when youíre ready to go. Fire it up once in a while to hold yourself over while you heal. Get well soon. Do me a favor and go to Cordova when you come back out so I can see that bad MF!!
Old 07-09-2019, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Glad the surgery went well. Take care of yourself to recover and don't push it. The car will be there, nothing more important than your health!

And awesome #'s!
Old 07-17-2019, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 3 window View Post
Awesome power. Youíre all set when youíre ready to go. Fire it up once in a while to hold yourself over while you heal. Get well soon. Do me a favor and go to Cordova when you come back out so I can see that bad MF!!
Won't be jumping into anything too quickly. Recovery has been going great, but want to keep it that way. I will try to get to Cordova at some point. Will be there for sure for Vicary Day again this year (will be planning that probably every year). Hoping to be there one time ahead of that as well. Cordova has such a great surface.

Originally Posted by ForceFedC5 View Post
Glad the surgery went well. Take care of yourself to recover and don't push it. The car will be there, nothing more important than your health!

And awesome #'s!
Won't be jumping into anything too quickly. Will be out for a couple of cruises before any sort of track outings.

Ran across an interesting video from Cleetus. He put Leroy on the dyno to look for gains similar to what we did a couple of months ago by focusing on adjusting timing and seeing how it affected the power curve. He also adjusted some Target AFR levels, but that is something we did not do.

I will have to put some time in on videoing and editing. My videos are quite boring compared to theirs. I had only uploaded a couple of videos to Youtube but had one from each pull. Spent more time focusing on the actual data that taking pictures and videos.

Here is the link to Cleetus' video:

Amazing what can be gained from some dyno time!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SOM LAG project: 390ci, OGG TT, PT6766's, PG, E85, Holley EFI, 1240HP/1167TQ

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: