Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SOM LAG Project: 394ci, 25.3, Twin PT7675 Gen 2's, PG, E85, 7-second Street Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 window
Might actually have to take ride to Cordova and check it out!
I believe we will have a caravan of some cars from up here.

My car. 390ci LSX with twin 7675's.
Ryan's TT Black Trans Am: 402ci Dart LS with twin S374's.
Pat's Turbocharged Fox Body: 6.0 with S485 and light.
Kyle's TT Blue Trans Am: LS with twin 67's (I believe)
Keith's Turbocharged 60's GTO: 455 Pontiac with a S480 (I believe).
Maybe more.

Last edited by Only ERO's; 10-07-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Yep, I’ll be watching the weather for sure. Only about 150 mile drive for me, so not bad at all.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Only ERO's
I believe we will have a caravan of some cars from up here.

My car. 390ci LSX with twin 7675's.
Ryan's TT Black Trans Am: 402ci Dart LS with twin S374's.

Pat's Turbocharged Fox Body: 6.0 with S485 and light.

Kyle's TT Blue Trans Am: LS with twin 67's (I believe)

Keith's Turbocharged 60's GTO: 455 Pontiac with a S480 (I believe).

Maybe more.

Updated with some photos
Old 10-07-2018, 01:19 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bunch of nice cars!
I'd love to hear how each of them run at the track
Old 10-14-2018, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received the replacement Walbro 450 earlier this week. Threw that in and made a few hits on the street. Fuel pressure was solid. It is good to finally have that behind me.

The weather forecast didn't look good for this weekend. Was signed up for Vicary Day at Cordova, but Eric and Kristi decided to postpone due to the forecast. It was supposed to be cold.

I decided to go to Cedar Falls yesterday to get some test passes and verify the fuel system held on the track. The forecast wasn't pleasant, but it was dry. It was only supposed to be a high in the upper 40's.

I watched cars attempt to go down the track for about an hour before suiting up. Everybody was spinning and struggling. I decided to lower the 2-step and the boost curve to try to get it down track. They prepped the track and I was the first car to go down after the prep. It knocked the tires off on the launch, I pedaled the car and it knocked the tires off again, I pedaled it and ran it out. Mostly because I wanted to verify the fuel pressure and get some data. I pulled the chute, but it never released. I have always drove into the chute, and so when it didn't release, I got a late start on the brakes. Tried to do my best to get stopped, but couldn't make the turn. I ended up going through a barbed wire fence and a couple of rows into the corn field.

After getting the car out, Everything from the fence appears to be cosmetic. It messed up my hood, windshield, roof, rear window and spoiler. But overall, the most important part, I am perfectly fine. The car drove down the return road just fine. We looked everything over on the car and was talked into making another hit. My plan was to make a soft hit and just run a partial pass to see how the car felt. I launched, struck the tires, pedaled and spun again. But the car felt fine.

Made one last hit, lowering the 2-step even farther, really slowing the boost curve down. Launched, struck the tires, pedaled and spun again. Basically, the track was horrible. I decided to call it a day. I am sure a lot of the track was due to the weather, and also the Test and Tune cars that were there. But I have never seen it that bad. Couldn't believe the track wouldn't hold the power when rolling back into the throttle.

Will get this on the hoist and look everything over but it all appears fine. Looks like I have a few more things to look at this winter.

When I got out of the car, the first thing I looked at was the chute. The cord was pulled but the pilot and bag were still stuck in the pack. Moral of the story: Make sure you pack your chute every time as you arrive at the track. Allowing it to sit in the pack isn't good.

These are about all that is needed to see for the track outing:

Old 10-14-2018, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Glad you’re alright man. Car doesn’t look that bad.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Damn that sucks man,did it get into the carbon fiber at all or just in the clear?
Old 10-15-2018, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 375 Likes on 214 Posts

Sorry to see man! Coming from a wreck this year its a real bummer. Glad its not worse but still sucks to see when you spend so much time and money on making it pretty.
The temps were cold. I battled the entire weekend myself over here at us 131 and mid michigan motorplex in the 47-50 degree range.
Glad you are ok. Looking forward to the time you get to plant that baby and go!!
Old 10-15-2018, 08:01 PM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

That sucks bad but could have been MUCH worse. Lucky there wasn't a sand trap and net at the end like our track. It stops you but destroys the car.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you're alright man the car seemed to fair decent as well!
Old 10-16-2018, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to see you came out ok and the car doesn't look too bad! I had one of my 450s take a dump this summer. Thank God the Holly caught it instantly and saved a meltdown. I think I'm going belt drive in the winter
Old 10-22-2018, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
Damn that sucks man,did it get into the carbon fiber at all or just in the clear?
The roof got into the carbon very minor. I think most of it was the clear up there, but very little carbon.

Originally Posted by BlackSS4thgen
Sorry to see man! Coming from a wreck this year its a real bummer. Glad its not worse but still sucks to see when you spend so much time and money on making it pretty.
The temps were cold. I battled the entire weekend myself over here at us 131 and mid michigan motorplex in the 47-50 degree range.
Glad you are ok. Looking forward to the time you get to plant that baby and go!!
That last outing you had was crazy! Solid end to the year for you. Hate to see you sell it, but I know where you are coming from. I have been in the same boat.

Originally Posted by Ratical
That sucks bad but could have been MUCH worse. Lucky there wasn't a sand trap and net at the end like our track. It stops you but destroys the car.
Very fortunate on many accounts. Could be a lot worse.

Originally Posted by lmt0705
Glad to see you came out ok and the car doesn't look too bad! I had one of my 450s take a dump this summer. Thank God the Holly caught it instantly and saved a meltdown. I think I'm going belt drive in the winter
Yeah, extremely happy with the safeties and programming with the Holley. It keeps things simplified, that's for sure.

I have been hearing about a lot of failures with the 450's lately. I may have had another this past weekend as well.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yessir. Even though slightly ricer-ish. I pinned the gate lol. I knew my time was limited. Ill take it though!
Ive already heard the "with that mph you should be 4.65's all day" atleast 100 times.
Maybe someday! lol

How did you do over the weekend?
Old 10-22-2018, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Went out for one last weekend of racing for the year. The Midway Shootout was rescheduled for Saturday at Cedar Falls. The forecast looked pretty grim the entire week though. It was highs in the 40's and 25+MPH cross/head winds. We decided to pull down there anyhow, seeing it is right on the way to Cordova. We weren't in too big of a hurry, because I figured the conditions were going to be difficult even if they ran. Carl ended up cancelling the event just before we pulled in. Hung out for a bit and then ended up hitting the road for Cordova and Vicary Day on Sunday.

The weather looked favorable for Cordova, but was going to be a slow start due to overnight lows. They announced the they were going to run 1/8th mile right away and potentially 1/4 mile later as it warmed up. Right from the beginning, the track was set on kill. I was hesitant, and had a lazy tune up for the first pass.

But, before any passes, step #1 is to repack that parachute:

Got up in line for my first pass, did a nice smoky burnout, lined up and let off the button. The next thing I know, the left front is way in the air, but not the right side. The first thing that crosses my mind is what the hell. But, everything felt fine so I stayed in it and ran it through the 1/8th. It is such an ugly site for a F-body:

Ended up going a 5.42@133.

Got back to the pits, and was looking through the rear suspension and noticed it broke the welds on the ARB. I believe you can see the issue going down track in the video. I got with Eric to see if we could hunt down a welder, but didn't have much luck. I ran into Doug Cook with Motion Raceworks in the pits and started talking to him about it and asking how far away his shop was. Doug ended up taking the ARB back to his shop, welded it up, and brought it back. I couldn't thank him enough for doing this and allowing us to make more passes for the weekend. We discussed what I owe him for going out of way, interrupting his day, and helping us out. He basically said, order some parts from me and buy us lunch. The cool thing was, I had received a delivery from him last week, and also have some stuff lined up to order. But I didn't feel that was enough. I threw him $50 and he didn't want to take it. I basically made him, and continuously thanked him for what he did. It is great to see that spirit of hot rodding and what he did to help us out. So thankful for people like him being out there.

We threw a little more at the car and went up for Pass #2. I roll into the burnout box and first guy I see by the line is Doug with his phone videoing me. Pretty cool to see. Went through the routine, let go of the button, and everything was back to normal. Back to the 1.2x 60's and straight launch. Such a great feeling. Was rippiing through the pass, and it nosed over from hitting a safety. After reviewing the logs, sure enough, fuel pressure again.

Even with the issues, it netted me a personal best 1/8 ET at 5.26@132.

Back to the pits to adjust a couple of things in the tune, and throw a little more at it. At this time, they opened the track for the full 1/4 mile. I had planned to run it as far as the safeties would allow. Pulled back in the box, and let it go. Down track, it never nosed over and ran it through the 1/4.

Ended up going new personal bests with a 5.22@137 and 8.05@173. And the chute came out with no issues and was slowed down the way it should be.

Decided to throw a little more on the launch and see where things go for pass #4.

Ended up netting a new best 1.22 60', but hit a safety as well as had a couple of my Quik Releases fail and the hood started dancing. I decided to call it a day/year.

It was a fun weekend. Went down there with us and two other cars from MN. All ended up setting personal bests. I highly recommend getting to Vicary Day at Cordova. Special thanks go out to Eric and Kristi Vicary (Midwest Chassis) for putting this private rental on. As well as Cordova for the surface we had. And once again, thank you to Doug Cook with Motion Raceworks for getting me fixed and allow me to get new personal bests.

Another Photo for the Wall:

Time for some off-season improvements. Starting to build a list and get parts / services lined up.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heck yea man. Progress is progress! No denying that. Sucks you are still having issues but atleast the car went forward and pulled into the trailer without an issue.
I actually planned to go this year but because of the weather lately I decided to stay home. It has been horrible up here for 3 weeks straight. No joke, today is the first day its been over 55 degrees in a couple weeks. Its been a weird fall!
Hopefully next fall I can swing over!
Looks like a blast!
Old 10-22-2018, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats for sticking with it! Great pass and I'm sure you'll be in the 7's next year!
Old 10-23-2018, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Only ERO's
I would probably **** my pants if that happened! Might be able to get there in a couple of outings though.
Originally Posted by 3 window
Coming along very nicely. I predict one or two shakedown passes then a 7.64 @ 176.
Hey, 6-7 months ago I made a prediction of 176! Pretty close.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ForceFedC5
Congrats for sticking with it! Great pass and I'm sure you'll be in the 7's next year!
I think he needs to bring the car out one last time. Pretty sure we are going back to Cordova or Great Lakes on the 3rd to run another local car that couldn't make it to the MWC private rental.

I should have took him up on the bet for the weekend, who would be the first car to the 7s between him and I.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by transam69230
I think he needs to bring the car out one last time. Pretty sure we are going back to Cordova or Great Lakes on the 3rd to run another local car that couldn't make it to the MWC private rental.

I should have took him up on the bet for the weekend, who would be the first car to the 7s between him and I.
I am going to Arizona to golf and kick back October 30 - November 4th. Otherwise, I would be heading back out.

Springtime can't come soon enough. Hopefully, the weather in 2019 is better than it was this year. That and more of us have our cars out. Was good to see a couple more towards the end of the year.

I will have to shoot for you in the other lane next year!
Old 10-23-2018, 07:51 PM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Always nice to end the season with a personal best! So close to those magic numbers but I am sure you will get there next year. Anymore upgrades planned over the winter or just fix the paint damage and run it?

Quick Reply: SOM LAG Project: 394ci, 25.3, Twin PT7675 Gen 2's, PG, E85, 7-second Street Car