Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SOM LAG Project: 394ci, 25.3, Twin PT7675 Gen 2's, PG, E85, 7-second Street Car

Old 06-12-2019, 01:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Only ERO's
We have been pretty fortunate with weather so far this winter. I was able to take the car for a quick spin on Thanksgiving morning. But ever since then, it is back to its winter position:

I did some minor Black Friday shopping. I bought a engine diaper from Motion Raceworks. Figured this was long overdue and will be good for the safety aspect:

Was in Indy last weekend for the PRI show. Ended up buying one item there, in the safety category as well. Was looking at HANS devices last year but never ended up buying one. I am hoping this never comes into affect, but figure it is good to be wearing one.

Necksgen just came out with their new Rev 2 Lite. They were running a small show special so I bought one. Another safety item I overlooked in the past but figured it was a good piece to have.

Attachment 593163

Attachment 593164

Attachment 593165

Attachment 593166

Attachment 593167

Their booth was hopping all weekend. I'm sure they sold quite a few of these. Very lightweight. PRI was awesome to be able to see all of the stuff the vendors brought. Also neat to see the celebrities running around and also to put some faces with some names I have worked with in the past. Very cool event.
How does that diaper fit around the alternator ?

Do you have any pics ?
Old 06-12-2019, 07:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6
How does that diaper fit around the alternator ?

Do you have any pics ?
Didn't have any problems. I don't have any right now, but I should be over there tomorrow night. I can try to remember to grab a photo or two from below.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Didn't have any problems. I don't have any right now, but I should be over there tomorrow night. I can try to remember to grab a photo or two from below.
Good to know. Thanks
Old 06-14-2019, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

Car talk / update for the day.

First and foremost: @gjohnsonws6, yesterday ran long. I didn't end up getting those photos for you. Will try to remember for the weekend.

Wednesday night, I ran over to some friends' shop. My buddy Steven was tuning a Boss Hoss. My understanding is that the bike was an LS7 with some spray and on Holley Dominator. Steven was working on traction control for it. Pretty dang sweet. The guy had an enclosed with 4 Boss Hoss's inside. The rear tire was a Mickey SS Drag Radial and Double Beadlocked. Was a really cool setup and neat to see!

As I was getting ready to leave, Steven asked if I was bringing the car on Thursday to dyno. Pretty cool idea for my birthday. Made a quick call to say I wasn't going into work.

Started Thursday by driving the car to the gas station to get some E85. The parachute and car caught the eye of an elderly gentleman. Chatted with him a bit about the car. He couldn't believe I was driving that on the street and the power it made. I had mentioned I was running it down to the dyno to dial it in. He drove in a quick circle around the parking lot and came back and had to wait for me to start it.

From there, I hopped in the car and made the 20 mile trip to the dyno. Yeah, slightly risky, but was hoping for good vibes for the day.

We got the car up on the stand and strapped to the rollers.

Straps galore!!

The goal for the day was to do some comparison tests and ultimately get the car dialed in and play with timing. Wanted to see what some changes do. Mostly focused on picking up as much power under the curve as possible. Wanted to do this at different boost levels to dial in the entire timing table. Right from the get-go, we saw stupid gains by adding timing. We ended up picking up 110 peak HP on 24lbs.

From there, we jumped to 30lbs and got a baseline on low timing. We made a hit and saw 1275HP with the air filters on.

The next step was pulling the filters and get the temps back to the same level and do the pull without air filters. After looking through the data, we confirmed everything looked consistent. The end number, 1255HP! Whaaaat??? It made 20HP less with the filters removed. Needless to say, I was shocked.

We also threw up to 35psi at it and played with some timing. There were periods that we were seeing 40-55HP gains from 0.7* of timing. I couldn't believe what we say by small timing changes. We were laughing at some of it. We ended up calling it a night as I was late for birthday dinner.

Overall, we ended up making 19 full dyno pulls today! WOW!! The top pull ended up being 1374HP, uncorrected.

I am pretty sure the parts but mostly the tires hated us. The dyno took its toll on them. The ole Radial Pros were completely balled up.

I was on my way home and had a pickup pull up beside me. I could see the guy keep looking over. All of the sudden, the rear window rolls down and a 7-8 year old kid was motioning for me to get after it. I got a little further down the road and rolled into it at low boost and destroyed the tires for him from a pretty good roll. I had pulled off to make a left turn, and the driver drives by clapping out the window as he went by. Pretty sure I made the kid's day!!!

All in all, a great day.

The RPM and the TQ numbers are not accurate. We used the rollers and gear ratio to calculate speed on the dyno rather than a tach pickup. Sometimes using the optical to pick up RPM gets skewed from motor and car movement. We looked at more of the data on the computer to determine how far it was pulling as well as the peak torque locations. But this gave us the consistencies we need to see the changes. The base numbers did not have dyno skewed numbers the Internet is used to. I have also added the STD numbers.

It has been a long year so far fighting the herniated disk and the nerve pain it caused. This turned out to be a great day and super thankful for Steven to free up a day from his busy schedule to fit me in.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Josh. I’m not worried about photos. You say it clears than it clears. Happy belated birthday. Looks like you had a fun day. Hopefully those 7’s are coming up in your future.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy late bday..them are some nice numbers and bad *** car
Old 06-23-2019, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6
Thanks Josh. I’m not worried about photos. You say it clears than it clears. Happy belated birthday. Looks like you had a fun day. Hopefully those 7’s are coming up in your future.
Originally Posted by ovaboost
Happy late bday..them are some nice numbers and bad *** car
Thanks guys.

Any faster times are going to be on hold for a little while. I have the back surgery this coming Friday and will be down a couple of months I am sure. I was hoping to get out one last time and see if I could click off that 7-second pass but it will have to wait. The forecasts looked terrible for everything around the area. Decided not to pursue anything and it ended up being nice. A little frustrated with that. But, It will make things that much sweeter when I am feeling well and it runs it.

I was able to get into the Duluth Street Drag Races. Looking forward to running up there as the event looks really neat. Will be a nice weekend getaway and Duluth is always a fun town. Hoping the recovery goes fast enough to allow me to run in this.

http://www.kernkompany.com/kia-of-du...aces-car-show/

Not planning for many updates soon. Car will mostly be sitting around as I recover.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:26 PM
7 Second Club

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Good luck with the surgery
Old 07-08-2019, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls3fox
Good luck with the surgery
Thank you

Surgery went well and have been recovering as planned. I stopped by the garage last night and fired up the car to listen to it a bit. Wanted to crawl in it so bad and take it for a spin. Going to be a long month.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Awesome power. You’re all set when you’re ready to go. Fire it up once in a while to hold yourself over while you heal. Get well soon. Do me a favor and go to Cordova when you come back out so I can see that bad MF!!
Old 07-09-2019, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad the surgery went well. Take care of yourself to recover and don't push it. The car will be there, nothing more important than your health!

And awesome #'s!
Old 07-17-2019, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 3 window
Awesome power. You’re all set when you’re ready to go. Fire it up once in a while to hold yourself over while you heal. Get well soon. Do me a favor and go to Cordova when you come back out so I can see that bad MF!!
Won't be jumping into anything too quickly. Recovery has been going great, but want to keep it that way. I will try to get to Cordova at some point. Will be there for sure for Vicary Day again this year (will be planning that probably every year). Hoping to be there one time ahead of that as well. Cordova has such a great surface.

Originally Posted by ForceFedC5
Glad the surgery went well. Take care of yourself to recover and don't push it. The car will be there, nothing more important than your health!

And awesome #'s!
Won't be jumping into anything too quickly. Will be out for a couple of cruises before any sort of track outings.

Ran across an interesting video from Cleetus. He put Leroy on the dyno to look for gains similar to what we did a couple of months ago by focusing on adjusting timing and seeing how it affected the power curve. He also adjusted some Target AFR levels, but that is something we did not do.

I will have to put some time in on videoing and editing. My videos are quite boring compared to theirs. I had only uploaded a couple of videos to Youtube but had one from each pull. Spent more time focusing on the actual data that taking pictures and videos.

Here is the link to Cleetus' video:

Amazing what can be gained from some dyno time!
Old 08-13-2019, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

The back recovery continues to go well. Have not had any issues yet. Mostly getting a little anxious to get back to car stuff. I had not even started the car for about 4 weeks...until last night.

I had way too much free time on my hands while I was off work for the surgery. I spent a little bit of money on some new parts.

First, I had decided to swap transmission coolers. I never really had any issues with mine, but just wanted one that would keep colder temperatures as recover faster. I removed my old Derale and replaced it with a beast: Derale 13870 40 Row Hyper-Cool Extreme Remote Cooler. Was over at the garage last night and got this one mounted.

I recognized a couple of cars installing a new cathedral cylinder head on Facebook. I looked into it and decided to get a set. I ordered a set of the new Brodix BP BR1-13 249cc cathedral heads. They are CNC'd and HIP'd. I also ordered new valves with the heads. Not sure when I will make the swap, but hopefully I can get some after numbers on the dyno to compare the two sets.

Aside from that, Duluth is quickly approaching. I am hoping to get the car to the track one time before that event. I am also planning to take it to a local annual end of the summer cruise in on Thursday. Can't wait to get back behind the wheel!
Old 08-14-2019, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

The back recovery continues to go well. Have not had any issues yet. Mostly getting a little anxious to get back to car stuff. I had not even started the car for about 4 weeks...until last night.

I had way too much free time on my hands while I was off work for the surgery. I spent a little bit of money on some new parts.

First, I had decided to swap transmission coolers. I never really had any issues with mine, but just wanted one that would keep colder temperatures as recover faster. I removed my old Derale and replaced it with a beast: Derale 13870 40 Row Hyper-Cool Extreme Remote Cooler. Was over at the garage last night and got this one mounted.

I recognized a couple of cars installing a new cathedral cylinder head on Facebook. I looked into it and decided to get a set. I ordered a set of the new Brodix BP BR1-13 249cc cathedral heads. They are CNC'd and HIP'd. I also ordered new valves with the heads. Not sure when I will make the swap, but hopefully I can get some after numbers on the dyno to compare the two sets.

Aside from that, Duluth is quickly approaching. I am hoping to get the car to the track one time before that event. I am also planning to take it to a local annual end of the summer cruise in on Thursday. Can't wait to get back behind the wheel!
You going to Grove Creek on the 24th with or with out the car? Should be there with mine for Cash at the Creek.

Rick
Old 08-16-2019, 07:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rryan5429
You going to Grove Creek on the 24th with or with out the car? Should be there with mine for Cash at the Creek.

Rick
Not sure yet. I would like to. I took the car for about a 70 mile cruise last night. It's tough getting in and out. If I don't go with my car, I am tempted to get up there to watch as I haven't been to the track in a couple of months. Would be nice to see some racing.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

Time for an update with having the car out and actually using it a bit. I traveled to Duluth, MN over the weekend for their annual Duluth Street Races. They close down Garfield Ave and put together a 2-day race on the street. My understanding is Garfield Avenue is where the Duluth guys used to street race back in the day. I thought I heard this was the 12th or 13th annual for this event and was my first time attending. They have 3 classes of cars, and are basically separated by tire size / type. The wild street is a big tire, the heavy street is a 29.5 x 10 or smaller and the pure street is a non-racing street radial or less. I decided to run my MT Radial Pros and was in the Heavy Street class. There are test passes on Saturday (ended up with 3 of them) and one test pass on Sunday prior to eliminations.

I really didn't know where to start or what to expect. We have planned with some power management around here, but I haven't done many street digs with my car. I relied on some data my buddy Steven had and we came with base tune to attempt to get down the track and was set very soft. The setting for the race is absolutely awesome. It was a blast making pass after pass down that road. Each pass seemed to continue to work well and I was able to leave on more power, bring power in faster, and run more boost down track. By eliminations, I was throwing 34lbs of boost at it downtrack. Absolutely crazy. I never thought I would have been anywhere near that.

Started getting through the Eliminations and ended up with a bye with 3 cars left (5th round). It ended up with Twin Turbo Trans Am on Twin Turbo Trans Am. It was a buddy of mine and within the same crowd that we went up there with. We had been comparing times all weekend and were running within a tenth most of the weekend. We knew we should be able to give the crowd a race to watch. I told Kyle before the race, I don't care about winning or losing this one, let's just make two perfect passes. We lined up and I ended up jumping. And boy, it sure was a close one. I think it would have been clean with a 1-foot roll out at the track but I agree, they made a good call on the jump. Kyle said I got out about a car and he ran right there the entire way down! It would have been a perfect side by side race. Congrats to him on the win and we had a good time all weekend. Brought three cars up and ended up First, Second, and in the Quarters on the third car.

The best part of all: no pain in the back. I am sure sitting in the hot tub on Friday and Saturday night helped.

Some photos from the weekend:

Check out the burnout below!!

Old 09-10-2019, 01:24 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AWESOME! Congrats!
Old 09-11-2019, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the fun and being pain free! Car is kickin *** as usual!
Old 09-11-2019, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

Greenlightfilming made this Youtube video from the Duluth Street Drags:

I made the cut for a few appearances.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats saw that other one at Grove it gets down. You guys coming up to Fargo for the shootout race there on the 21st. Same classes and rules essentially as CATC. Hopefully be a decent turnout I know at least about half the street class from last race had planned on going.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SOM LAG Project: 394ci, 25.3, Twin PT7675 Gen 2's, PG, E85, 7-second Street Car