Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SOM LAG Project: 394ci, 25.3, Twin PT7675 Gen 2's, PG, E85, 7-second Street Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 07:28 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Only ERO's
It has been a while, but Spring is finally here!

Black Springs now
I noticed you mounted your top mount with the heim bolt running front to back. I thought it should go the same direction as the lower mount but my upper mount doesn't sit flush with the bolt side to side. Also did you need spacers for the top mount? My afcos are a bit narrower than the top mount but the bottom is perfect. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
I noticed you mounted your top mount with the heim bolt running front to back. I thought it should go the same direction as the lower mount but my upper mount doesn't sit flush with the bolt side to side. Also did you need spacers for the top mount? My afcos are a bit narrower than the top mount but the bottom is perfect. Thanks.
I don't remember off the top of my head but I am pretty sure we didn't use any spacers on the top mount. I will have to check for sure the next time I have it on the hoist.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you done any racing lately? Didn't know if you thought about coming out for Pontiac Nationals Norwalk Ohio first weekend in August?
Old 07-18-2017, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hooley
have you done any racing lately? Didn't know if you thought about coming out for Pontiac Nationals Norwalk Ohio first weekend in August?
Not a whole lot is new around here. Haven't really done much with the car. I did take it to a car show / dyno day and won most horsepower with a 1185/1112 pull.

Cleaned the car for the show:

Screenshot of the dyno hits:

Won't be able to make the Pontiac Nationals. I haven't heard anything lately on the trailer. I also have been fighting a nagging lower back / leg injury. From what I am reading online, it appears to be a herniated disc. It started with lower back pain, and now has pain shooting down my leg. It isn't too bad to stand / walk, or lay down, but sitting seems to aggravate both. Probably should schedule a doctor's appointment, but haven't gone that far yet.

I was talked into running a local heads up race at Grove Creek a couple weekends ago. The event was a minimal prep with a spray before the event and nothing more. Could do a burnout in any homemade prep as well.

A buddy and I split a set of used slicks, mostly because we both were interested to see how they would be on the street. I got those mounted the day before the race and made some test hits on the street. Needless to say, I am not a fan of the slicks. Wasn't all warm and fuzzy with the sway going down the road, and also was about .6sec slower in a 60-130 pull on the street. I am sure with more hits, they would have been closer to the radials. So I ended up putting the radials on for the event, and pulling power on the hit.

Slicks:

Made 5 hits during the event, and it sure was a learning experience.

First pass was a test hit and went 5.90's @ 130 with a horrible 60'. Pulled way too much power out. I think it was something like a 1.68 60', and felt like a turd. No spin the entire hit though.

Second pass, I drew a bye. Good thing, because my hand slipped off the transbrake button.

Third pass, I drew the eventual winner. Oh, and I forgot to engage the Master transbrake button. Already have implemented a fix for this in my routine.

Fourth pass, I added a little more power and went 5.70's at 131. It still had way too much pulled out.

Fifth pass, it went 5.53@132 with a 1.35 60'. I was pretty happy with that. Was hoping to make one more hit, but it was too late.

[/url]

I really like the timeslips at this track. Has all the weather data from the pass at the bottom:
[/url]

I may try to go to Cedar Falls this weekend. Will depend on the weather as well as how I am feeling. It was a real pain (no pun intended) to crawl in and out of the car with the way my back and leg were. I really want to go to see what this thing will do turned up and I am even planning on pulling the exhaust. We will see what the week brings.

A buddy of mine also picked a gift up for me. Been looking for this for a little while:

Last edited by Only ERO's; 07-18-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better make that dr appointment. The longer you wait the closer to irreparable it gets. I've done that on shoulder surgery. BRUTAL rehab to say the least. Don't put it off. We're not made out of bouncy ball anymore like we were when we were kids lol
Old 07-18-2017, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ta02zx10r
Better make that dr appointment. The longer you wait the closer to irreparable it gets. I've done that on shoulder surgery. BRUTAL rehab to say the least. Don't put it off. We're not made out of bouncy ball anymore like we were when we were kids lol
I know what you mean. I will have to set up an appointment with family medicine to get things rolling.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ta02zx10r
Yah that's to say it lightly... I have 3 herniated disks and no doctor wants to really fix the problem mainly because of my age (35) they fear that it will cause more complications further down the road. Now I deal with what you are and no activation in my left Achilles and severe atrophy in that leg. So my riding days are over :-/ it does make driving a standard fun at times too! take care of you're body before you are up **** creek without a paddle.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard they have synthetic discs now. Don't know much about them but don't ever agree to fusing them. You're mobility will be over with for sure especially with that many.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean. I will have to set up an appointment with family medicine to get things rolling.
my sister in law waited a long time before getting checked out. it turned to a year out of work and a ton of dr. appts and physical therapy and surgery
Old 07-20-2017, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by milkey57
Yah that's to say it lightly... I have 3 herniated disks and no doctor wants to really fix the problem mainly because of my age (35) they fear that it will cause more complications further down the road. Now I deal with what you are and no activation in my left Achilles and severe atrophy in that leg. So my riding days are over :-/ it does make driving a standard fun at times too! take care of you're body before you are up **** creek without a paddle.
Originally Posted by Nali6.2
my sister in law waited a long time before getting checked out. it turned to a year out of work and a ton of dr. appts and physical therapy and surgery
Appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning.
Saw the Doctor this morning and she believes it to be a strain. Said she didn't see any signs based on my range of motions. Basically a reoccuring injury. Suggesting taking an additional dose of Naproxen, continue stretching, heat/cold pads, and also a 6 session Physical Therapy session for stretching.

Back to the car stuff. Was hoping to hit a Test and Tune session tomorrow. The afternoon session was called off due to the scheduled forecast of heat. They still have one during the evening hours. Will see what the day brings and to whether or not I head down there.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking about racing tonight to but it's 90 outside. I'll stay in the AC!
Old 07-23-2017, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw the Doctor this morning and she believes it to be a strain. Said she didn't see any signs based on my range of motions. Basically a reoccuring injury. Suggesting taking an additional dose of Naproxen, continue stretching, heat/cold pads, and also a 6 session Physical Therapy session for stretching.

Back to the car stuff. Was hoping to hit a Test and Tune session tomorrow. The afternoon session was called off due to the scheduled forecast of heat. They still have one during the evening hours. Will see what the day brings and to whether or not I head down there.
Glad to see it's nothing serious! Look into yoga...it's been my saving grace. Now back to car stuff! Love you're car and achievements btw!
Old 08-18-2017, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

It's been a little while so I figure it was time for an update. But there isn't much to write. For the most part, I haven't done much with the car.

Here is one photo from the previous outing at Grove Creek that was shot from Race Car Revolution:

I went to Cedar Falls on July 22nd for their Midnight Mania Test and Tune. They were supposed to have an afternoon test session but cancelled that due to heat. I wanted to run the car with open exhaust and see how much it would pick up. We thought we had everything properly clear from the exhaust but were quick to find out that was wrong. The first pass, it fried my transmission pressure transducer. The 5V and Ground wires connected provided some issues with the ECU. I made most of a pass on mid range boost and clicked it off early to an 8.92@150.

We found the wiring issue and got that sorted out. The second pass, some smoke started filling the cabin and I let out, assuming it was something with the open pipes. Sure enough. The passenger downpipe has a flex coupler in it and was pushing up far enough to get into the starter wire insulation. There was no damage, but between these issues, and me being worried about dew on the track, I decided to call it a night.

I had been asked earlier in the night to witness and sign for some licensing passes for another driver. Unfortunately, during his third pass, he pedaled the car a couple of times, got back in it out of the groove, and lost the car. Went across the track and hit the guard rail just past the 1/8 mile. Driver was okay and walked away just fine. It was a Jerry Bickle built chassis and did its job safety wise. Needless to say, quite a bit of damage.

I noticed fuel pressure was dropping off while reviewing my datalogs. I ordered new socks for the Walbros, and it appears to have fixed that issue based on a couple of street hits.

Fast forward to last night:
Every summer, a local small town has an end of the summer cruise in at the local A&W. The weather was sketchy, but was supposed to be clear. I decided to run down there and check things out. Needless to say, the last couple of miles on the way down it started sprinkling, and then unleashed about a 1/2 hour after being there. Had a nice little 35 mile drive home on the wet streets with the MT Radial Pros. No issues at all though.

Upcoming: Planning to get out more and more in September / October. So hopefully I will have some good results and would be even better to get a new personal best.

I also received word that the enclosed trailer should be complete the week of September 11th. I haven't seen anything online yet of the construction, but will post updates as I get those. Can't fricken wait!
Old 08-18-2017, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Badass build. I'd love to do something like that but I'd never give up my air conditioning.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Spamfritter
Badass build. I'd love to do something like that but I'd never give up my air conditioning.
I said that too.....and look what happened.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

I said that too.....and look what happened.
I live in Texas, there is no way I'd go without. I had an 87 Trans Am without AC and I hated driving that thing a great portion of the year.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Time for a quick update.

Received an update on my customer portal from inTech on the trailer. The status switches to "Ordered for Production". Basically, components have been ordered to build my trailer. In discussion with my sales rep, we are scheduling pickup of the trailer on September 22nd. Seems like there is quite a bit to do between now and just over two weeks from now (12 workdays til then). I should be able to start posting Construction Photos very soon.

Wanted to get a little testing in over this past weekend. Originally, was planning to go to Cedar Falls on Saturday for their Test and Tune. Cedar cancelled that to give the entire weekend off for their employees. Ended up going to the Legendary Great Lakes Dragaway yesterday for their Test and Tune and meet up with some buddies there.

Woke up at 3:30AM and hit the road by 4:30. Got to the track a shade after 9:00 and thought everything started at 9:00 but was probably closer to 10:30-11:00. Would have been nice to get that little more sleep.

Went up for my first hit, dead hooked and was moving out, followed closely by the car going to the limiter. I tried pedaling it, and there was nothing there, just a straight rev. Stopped by the ticket booth after getting to the pits but they didn't have my slip. Tracked down the guy in the other lane, and saw that it was a 1.27 60'. The track was killer, and would really have liked to use that 60' as a starting point!

The car looked really nice launching as well:

Starting to get the suspension dialed in.

Checked a few things in the pits, but not 100% sure what is broke. Ultimately, put it on the trailer for the ride home. Figured it will get tore down later this week. Stuck around and finally left around 4:45 and back into town around 9:00PM.

By the time I put the trailer back, and made it home, it was a nice 627 mile round trip day, for about 2 seconds of a pass. Oh the joys of drag racing.

Needless to say, want to get the damn thing fixed, and make it back to that track!!

For now, drinking beer at the race track sounds better and cheaper.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about the bad luck, I swear this is the summer of broken race cars. My **** broke and I haven't touched it since!
Old 09-08-2017, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Pulled the Powerglide on Wednesday night. Looks like I exploded a gearset. Transmission shipped back to Rossler today for a refreshing and new parts. Converter went back to PTC for refreshing. Will be down a couple of weeks it looks like.

Hoping to be back out around early October. Going to try to go racing at least 3 times in October / Early November before winter.

Quick Reply: SOM LAG Project: 394ci, 25.3, Twin PT7675 Gen 2's, PG, E85, 7-second Street Car