Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

89 RS turdgen JY 5.3 WE HAVE BOOST (tuning in progress)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 03:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

here is a pic of the gm pan on an engine.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yenkomike
appreicate the picture, looks like a pretty good setup, Might look into that I have a buddy that works at a GM dealer maybe he can set me up with something like that for a decent price..

Im really debating on ordering up a cam before i get too far with this, im sure i will pick up a considerable amount by doing the cam and valve springs now, im just trying to avoid soaking too much money into it untill its ready to fire up though.

hopefully progress picks up a little I can afford one car even with the kid on the way but two was just too much to tackle, have my AEM engine controller and have to get the harness after work today so its slowly coming together.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Got the engine and trans in the car last night to start doing some mock up, think i have one of the ebay mounts on the block upside down though cant get them to quite line up right, hopefully can get that sorted out tonight and get the manifolds on and start building the hot side up over the weekend.

still unsure on how im going to do the manifolds, Im deffinetly going up and forward even though its ugly it will make things alot easier, maybe someday ill build a nice set of logish style headers, and rework the hot side for it when i do a turbo upgrade because im sure it wont last long till im ready to go bigger.

Last edited by I-H8-RICE; 06-27-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by yenkomike

what size pipe is that on the manifolds? I wouldnt mind doing something similar to this that way I could change the angle a little bit and keep the pipe from coming so close to the hood.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

all 2.5 inch. that is the only way they fit a nova. dont be afraid to cut the manifolds and weld them up they weld good with just a mig welder.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Default Chop Cut Rebuild..

okay, got some more work done last night, had the passenger mount upside down got that fixed and the stupid thing still wont drop all the way in on the drivers side, the mount wont slide into the bracket on the frame. not sure if its the cheap eBay engine mounts or the UMI brackets.

Decided it would just be easier down the road for upgrades to just get it out of the way now and cut the core support out and push the radiator up and forward more.

This is my first real project where fabrication is involved and im a little intimidated by it to be completly honest but hopefully it works out okay, the pipes in the picture are just there lol thats not how they will be mounted exactly.

So far ShawnC16 has been pretty helpful in giving me some ideas on how to do rad support, if anyone has any ideas or critisism please feel free to chime in and give me some ideas.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

got a little bit of work done over the weekend, didnt really spend as much time as i wanted to working on the car, and dont have much of what I need to accuratly mock everything up, figure I may want to get the car in running state first then build my pipes around it rather than mock it all up and find out that its in the way of everything...

have most of the stuff I need might just yank everything back out and finish the motor and get it all running and finish up the turbo mock up.

doing okay so far for not having much of any sort of fabrication experience, hopefully I can pull this off without too much headache.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:34 AM
On The Tree

starting to make a little more progress, got my steel to start making core support, and decided I was just going to relocate the stock bottom peice rather than trying to build one, seems like it should work out pretty good, dropped the rad about 4 inches allowing me to stand it up also moved forward probably about 6 inches, so now there will be plenty of room

Letting the brother in-law lay some beads down, actaully didnt do to bad especially for a little clarke 130 amp on VERY old garage wiring.

Hope to have the rest of the tubular top section done this weekend and then starts the fun part.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Made some progress today, core support is done, happy with the turn out didnt cost much at all just used 1/2 tube 1/16 thick seems really sturdy..cant see in the pictures but there are two tubes supporting the bottom of intercooler as well.

Also go the engine back out and painted, waiting on getting a flexplate spacer so that I can get the motor and trans in for the final time and finish the mock up for everything else.. Made big strides this weekend, got intake injectors rails flexplate AEM 340 LPH pump 2 BAR map..

Put a lot more attention into paint than I was going to was just going to bomb everything black and call it a day, but Im pretty happt with the turnout, orange metallic from Autozone and Standard black engine paint for rest.

Shout out to SHAWNC16 for hookin me up with a good deal on some parts.

Last edited by I-H8-RICE; 07-14-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:05 PM
9 Second Club

You're making my engine bay look bad man. Lol
Old 07-14-2014, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shawnc16
You're making my engine bay look bad man. Lol
HAH I wouldnt go that far, it looks good but its not as good as it seems.. curtis was rippin on me a little bit last night for my hacking haha.. its not that pretty but its pretty functional. so screw it.

I had no game plan I just started chopping **** off with the cutoff wheel.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May be off subject but do you have a link to the turbo flange your using?
Old 07-15-2014, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
May be off subject but do you have a link to the turbo flange your using?
honestly Im not even sure I have one LOL i dont know if the VS racing kit came with it or not I think it did but im not really sure, the turbo kit I ordered is http://www.vsracing.net/catalog/prod...2dc9c26a7cbb6a
Old 08-12-2014, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Starting to make a little progress, had a goal of having car done by this saturday for the woodward dream cruise, looking like thats likely not going to happen, think i have most of the stuff i need but still have to do a lot of wiring on the car to make everything functional and finish a lot of turbo plumbing etc.. still havent fired it just yet have to get all the relays and wiring built up for the AEM controller, maybe ill get lucky and get a lot done this week.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

One more forgot the last one after I finished welding everything and got the vbands on.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

coming right along. Looks good!!
Old 08-17-2014, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

looking good thought i would see a little more getting done while i was away though . still jealous since i cant start building my junk yet.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by screamin86
looking good thought i would see a little more getting done while i was away though . still jealous since i cant start building my junk yet.
Lol! Yeah got it running NA this weekend, turns out it didn't have oil pressure or something my gauge was reading the wrong resistance value so wasn't accurate bitch blew up after 10-15 minutes, so probably next week or so I'll be getting a cheap 4.8 from my buddy to slap in there probably going to cam it up while it's out also
Old 08-18-2014, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

Ouch that sucks. Atleast you got to use it for mock up.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

so, time for a little update, got the car running without the turbo on it, got all the pcm wiring done and everything but the oil pressure gauge wasnt working assuming you have oil pressure probably isnt the best idea, so got to drive the car around the block, then the motor blew up. lucky for me the pcm had a base tune that seemed to be pretty spot on for the most part, now the plan is to get a complete 4.8 from my buddy that had about 200K on it but ran good and will be leaving bottom end alone slapping my heads and studs and gaskets on that turd and getting it back together for the turbo stuff to get finished... kinda wanted a 4.8 anyways deep down like being the underdog.

Quick Reply: 89 RS turdgen JY 5.3 WE HAVE BOOST (tuning in progress)