Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Self tuning Forced induction is here! Sorry dyno tuners, :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 07:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Self tuning Forced induction is here! Sorry dyno tuners, :(

While this doesn't eliminate chassis tuning all together and i wouldn't want it to, there will always be a need for that,i was just tryin to get your attention with the title. What i'm talkin about is MSD Atomic EFI for LS guys. (also in TB version) I'm mentioning it because i wanna shout it from the rooftop how amazing i think this is! Im actually very surprised how little mention there is of it on here. Unless i just haven't seen it.
While not for every FI setup i know but for alot of the "budget FI" and bigger (is supporting 1000 HP good enough for ya?) builds going on here i just wanna mention it in case some of you guys haven't heard of it. Can you imagine no trips to the tuner EVERY time you make a change in your setup? IE cam,heads,injectors,boost etc. Install any LS in your car,build or install ANY FI kit at home yourself, answer a few questions on your hand held programmer (no laptop required) turn the key and go tare **** up! ****** amazing i say! This is the reason i haven't built a fuel injected or especially FI setup yet cuz of having get a tune or retune every damn time u make a change. It does have the possibility of being the most expensive single part of your build @ $2500,lol. Just think of what it can do either NA or FI and all the trips to the dyno you WON'T have to make ! You can check out an article in Car Craft magazine (january 2014) they tuned a stock crate LS3 to 660HP/700LB ! Mine ill be sitting atop my 5.3 single turbo 70 Chevelle.
Lemme know what you guys think
Old 02-20-2014, 07:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok.....if im spending $2500 on an auto tuning solution I don't think I'm going to care about a retune for a fraction of that cost. At that rate proEFI gets my money.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Holley hp is $1550 and does the same thing. Either way at least it allows more owners to tune there own cars. IMO that should always be the goal.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

I definitely wasn't thrilled with the price and i must admit part of the reason i pulled the trigger was because i got it for $1900 cuz someone went a different way on there combo. I woulda bought it anyway but at a later time. I'm definitely not knocking any of the other EFI setups out there by no means. I've been exploring alot of the top 4-5 stand alone setups and they've come a looong way! MSD was the only one that did self tuning FI that i saw. I just dreaded paying a tuner $200-$600 for initial setup and chassis time and having to drive or trailer my car every time i make a change. If you go to the tuner 4-6 times it'll pay for itself. We always mess with our cars,that's why were here.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 73turbo53
IMO that should always be the goal.
That's what i'm sayin ! : )
Old 02-20-2014, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Or you can spend 800 on HPT and a nice wideband and tune it yourself over and over and over again.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make a 430hp engine 660hp thats some bomb *** tuning software!......
Old 02-20-2014, 08:31 PM
10 Second Club

I think i must add that for ME this was a better alternative because i don't already have an LS powered car. HP Tuners is excellent and less expensive and i did consider sorting through a stock harness for stand alone. More initial $ layout for MSD but your getting the ease of setup and less chance of smoking an engine while spending countless hours while you and a friend learn how to use it.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by redtan
Or you can spend 800 on HPT and a nice wideband and tune it yourself over and over and over again.
HPT is not user friendly or simplistic enough for the non-efi person to figure out. MSD, Holley, and FAST all offer something that uses an interface that is much easier to figure out.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

no efi is "self tuning" adjusting fuel tables is not self tuning.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mike13
Fast, Msd, Holley, Edelbrock. and Quick Fuel all have SELF TUNING CAPABILITIES. All you do is drive it.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:14 PM
Teching In

I was under the impression the FAST ez-EFI 2.0 & ez-LSx setups were boost friendly. Did you find differently LT1PWRD?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dmracing
Fast, Msd, Holley, Edelbrock. and Quick Fuel all have SELF TUNING CAPABILITIES. All you do is drive it.
Does it scale your injectors?, set your idle air tables? Timing tables? Shift points?, line pressure?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:45 PM
10 Second Club

Yes,all those other systems are self tuning. But the only one that self tunes FORCED INDUCTION (as well as non FI) is the MSD that i've found. There is also an advanced section in the tuner for more elaborate fuel and timing changes for the people that are more knowledgeable in those areas.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT1PWRD
Yes,all those other systems are self tuning. But the only one that self tunes FORCED INDUCTION (as well as non FI) is the MSD that i've found. There is also an advanced section in the tuner for more elaborate fuel and timing changes for the people that are more knowledgeable in those areas.
Do you need to insert the commanded afr?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:51 PM
10 Second Club

I don't know if it scales your injector PW or not,i havent installed or powered mine up yet. This in an engine only controller,no outputs for EOD trannys. They do offer a stand alone unit for that. I'll be running a 4L80e for now,manually.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

Yes,you tell it the commanded AFR for idle,cruise and WOT. It also has a built in 2 step and nitrous retards
Old 02-20-2014, 10:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1PWRD
While this doesn't eliminate chassis tuning all together and i wouldn't want it to, there will always be a need for that,i was just tryin to get your attention with the title. What i'm talkin about is MSD Atomic EFI for LS guys. (also in TB version) I'm mentioning it because i wanna shout it from the rooftop how amazing i think this is! Im actually very surprised how little mention there is of it on here. Unless i just haven't seen it.
While not for every FI setup i know but for alot of the "budget FI" and bigger (is supporting 1000 HP good enough for ya?) builds going on here i just wanna mention it in case some of you guys haven't heard of it. Can you imagine no trips to the tuner EVERY time you make a change in your setup? IE cam,heads,injectors,boost etc. Install any LS in your car,build or install ANY FI kit at home yourself, answer a few questions on your hand held programmer (no laptop required) turn the key and go tare **** up! ****** amazing i say! This is the reason i haven't built a fuel injected or especially FI setup yet cuz of having get a tune or retune every damn time u make a change. It does have the possibility of being the most expensive single part of your build @ $2500,lol. Just think of what it can do either NA or FI and all the trips to the dyno you WON'T have to make ! You can check out an article in Car Craft magazine (january 2014) they tuned a stock crate LS3 to 660HP/700LB ! Mine ill be sitting atop my 5.3 single turbo 70 Chevelle.
Lemme know what you guys think
I wish I could post more in-depth about the system but I can't right now. I am still waiting on the green light to be able to post more about it. Its NOT self tuning and wont put any tuners out of business any time soon. The system is really nice and has potential but it will not "self tune" and make any combination run and drive perfect or even close to perfect. It works great on stock or close to stock motors but the more mods you have the greater your chances are it will not work perfect.

Originally Posted by mike13
You are 100% correct ....its just adjusting fuel off a single wideband.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

I'm currently building a boosted Atomic LS motor. Should (hopefully) be up and running by June. I know the product very well, but its newly supported boosted compatibility is new to me and I want to see if it lives up to its hype.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
Its NOT self tuning and wont put any tuners out of business any time soon. The system is really nice and has potential but it will not "self tune" and make any combination run and drive perfect or even close to perfect. It works great on stock or close to stock motors but the more mods you have the greater your chances are it will not work perfect.

You are 100% correct ....its just adjusting fuel off a single wideband.
I'm not saying this is the be all end all of systems at all. What you do as a tuner as well as other tuners and the knowledge you have is extremely important and the info you have learned will never be replaced by a "self tuning" system and put you guys outta a job. It runs off a wide band sensor and the software handles the rest based off of sensor input just like the OE's do. I'm just sayin that for non able to tune an OE PCM like the AVERAGE car guy out there,this system is extremely user friendly.

Quick Reply: Self tuning Forced induction is here! Sorry dyno tuners, :(