Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Rebuilt the motor and installed a new fuel system, now won't start. Details inside.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rebuilt the motor and installed a new fuel system, now won't start. Details inside.

Okay first of all thanks for any trouble shooting ideas you guys come up with in advance, everyones help is always appreciated. On to the details.

Last year I had a bad cam bearing so I pulled the motor and decided to go turbo. I had the block cleaned, checked and new cam bearings installed. I rebuilt the motor will all new bearings utilizing the same forged parts and heads that came out of it. There was only 200 miles on them when I pulled the motor. Since I was going turbo I decided to upgrade the fuel system too. Triple 340's (But only running two right now) -8 AN feed, -6 AN return with an A1000 regulator.

So I installed the motor and fuel system and wanted to test start the car to check for leaks, ect, before installing the turbo kit. When I turned it over it acted like it wanted to fire right up but didn't. So I tried to turn it over again and then it sounded like I wasn't getting any spark. So I pulled the plugs and they were wet with fuel. I killed the power to the fuel pumps and cranked the motor over a few times and I could see fuel shoot out of the spark plug holes for a quick second until it was clear.

The first thing I thought is I messed up the timing when installed the cam. So I pulled the front of the motor off and verified the timing set-up and top dead center. It was dead on. I put it back together installed the plugs and got the same thing. Except this time I had enough unburnt fuel in my cylinders that it put the stress back on my starter and killed it.

Here is the things I've done so far and I am open to more suggestions on trouble shooting this or fixing it.
  • Verified I'm getting spark
  • verified timing
  • check for trouble codes (there were none)
  • Verified that my fuel regulator is set at 58 psi
  • installed new plugs and wires

The only things that changed from the previous set up is the cam and fuel system.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Make sure map sensor and cam sensor plugs are not swapped on accident .
Old 08-03-2014, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe try dialing your fuel pressure back some......with dual pumps it is doubling your flow which could be dumping too much fuel when it tries to start.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ws602
Make sure map sensor and cam sensor plugs are not swapped on accident .
I will give this a try this evening. They are the same plug. I had them marked on the harness, but I won't rule out me being an idiot.

Originally Posted by fastassls1maro
maybe try dialing your fuel pressure back some......with dual pumps it is doubling your flow which could be dumping too much fuel when it tries to start.
I'f the above doesn't solve it I'll give this a try to.

Thanks for the ideas guys.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

I pulled the intake off to double check the sensors and they are in the correct spot. I am going to check the signal on the cam sensor and crank sensor tomorrow.

I haven't tried lowering the fuel pressure yet either. I am going to do that tomorrow also after I get the rails and lines back together.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

double check your routing with that new fuel system. You might be using the evap for the return, wheich is alright, you just have to cap the small tee after the filter.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by topgun542
double check your routing with that new fuel system. You might be using the evap for the return, wheich is alright, you just have to cap the small tee after the filter.
It's all new lines. Didn't use any of the stock stuff at all. I ran a evap line with a check valve at the end of it. I thought it was possibly holding me some how so I let it breath freely and it didn't change anything.

I am starting to wonder if I dont have a valve stuck or something.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ohhhh gotcha, thats what i messed up on when i started mine....
Old 08-04-2014, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

If you find a good tuner, you should be able to tell him all of your mods and he should be able to get you a pretty close startup tune. There are so many variables at this point and if its purely tune related, you will be chasing your tail for awhile.

This is all assuming you arent your own tuner..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rebuilt the motor and installed a new fuel system, now won't start. Details inside.