Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger vs turbo (6 speed)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by josh4ku
your right.... hard decisions! Really what happend was i was completely set on procharger until just recently. I was bored and searching around to see if there were turbo kits available to retain factory a/c and other factory options. I cam accross the huron speed kit which sounded like a good kit, then I found out they are working on a new and improved kit that will be available this fall. This is what really changed my mind!
People have definitely been making some steam with the HS kits. I almost got one then decided to spend the money on a welder and build my own. What ever you decide to do just stick with it and don't lose motivation
Old 08-12-2014, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

My last car was a 93 RX7 with a 9.3 compression LS6, TC76, T56, 3.55 gear. rolling into the throttle at low rpm would have the turbo starting to make boost at 2800 rpm. Anything after 3500 rpm would spool the turbo instantly. It was very hard to launch the car on the street with a 275 drag radial. Boost would come on so fast it would blow the tires off and it was hard to pedal. A slower responding turbo would have helped, or a boost controller to control boost by gear and rpm.

I've also drove a buddies C5 with a D1 making 600rwp. It had no where near the midrange torque my turbo had. The turbo was a lot more fun IMO.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by norotor7
My last car was a 93 RX7 with a 9.3 compression LS6, TC76, T56, 3.55 gear. rolling into the throttle at low rpm would have the turbo starting to make boost at 2800 rpm. Anything after 3500 rpm would spool the turbo instantly. It was very hard to launch the car on the street with a 275 drag radial. Boost would come on so fast it would blow the tires off and it was hard to pedal. A slower responding turbo would have helped, or a boost controller to control boost by gear and rpm.

I've also drove a buddies C5 with a D1 making 600rwp. It had no where near the midrange torque my turbo had. The turbo was a lot more fun IMO.
thats what i like to hear!
Old 08-12-2014, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Ive had twin turbos and a procharger on a 383, yes the turbos make more torque and power, but the gas pedal feels vague and laggy, with the d1 procharger the throttle is much more responsive which makes it fun to drive, engine is much more revy
Old 08-12-2014, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It would be nice if you could drive both a Procharged and turbo car. That way, you could see which one you like more. I don't see you being dissatisfied with either option really.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jacktuner
Ive had twin turbos and a procharger on a 383, yes the turbos make more torque and power, but the gas pedal feels vague and laggy, with the d1 procharger the throttle is much more responsive which makes it fun to drive, engine is much more revy
Thanks for your input, as far as sound which one did you prefer?
Old 08-12-2014, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think a cammed/Procharged car sounds better than any other, period. A turbo car sounds more "sleeperish" to me.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

That's the problem with the question. It really is personal preference.

Some will love the sound of the supercharger, some will love the instant throttle response everywhere.

Some will not.

Some will love the rush of torque with the turbos, some will love the silent power it makes. Some will not love the not so instant throttle response, some may like or prefer the slightly soggier feeling when you initially apply the throttle.

Ive had both, I currently have turbos, but went that route primarily because it's far far easier to make more power reliably.....plus I got fed up with belt problems and the noise.
Although I had the belt issues fairly well resolved at the end, so if it's a good well designed kit, that shouldnt be a major concern

Do I miss the instant throttle response ? Yes I do. Do I miss the noise ? Nope

Is my car performing better...with more to come ? Yep.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Really my only concern is not being able to spool off the line with the 6 speed and turbo
Why are you even worried about spooling on the line if you don't want to go any faster than 11.49 ? Seems like a waste to me to even add boost to go just as fast as cam only cars.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by djfury05
Why are you even worried about spooling on the line if you don't want to go any faster than 11.49 ? Seems like a waste to me to even add boost to go just as fast as cam only cars.
bad*** street car buddy.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:14 PM
Banned

A shot of N2O also helps eliminate turbo lag...
Old 08-12-2014, 02:30 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

People above nailed it. Turbo vs procharger is like auto vs stick, or red vs black paint. All of them appeal to different people for different reasons.

Did you ever drive the car with the procharger? You said you already sold it, so it's a non-issue at this point since you're going to a turbo setup.

I find my car is plenty of fun on the street. I used to have 3.73 gears, which created too much torque and power in the midrange, so I went down to a 3.42 gear. So it's a little softer below 3,000 rpm, but still plenty of fun, and higher rpms are just a downshift away.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

I preferred pro charger
Old 08-12-2014, 03:38 PM
TECH Resident

Wink

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
People above nailed it. Turbo vs procharger is like auto vs stick, or red vs black paint. All of them appeal to different people for different reasons.

Did you ever drive the car with the procharger? You said you already sold it, so it's a non-issue at this point since you're going to a turbo setup.

I find my car is plenty of fun on the street. I used to have 3.73 gears, which created too much torque and power in the midrange, so I went down to a 3.42 gear. So it's a little softer below 3,000 rpm, but still plenty of fun, and higher rpms are just a downshift away.
no i have never driven a procharged or turbo car. Your car is procharged right? I watched a few of your video's. I think the procharged cars sounds the best when matched with a 6 speed. The air blowing through the valve between shifts sounds nasty!
Old 08-12-2014, 04:54 PM
11 Second Club

It really sounds like you enjoy spending money twice! Just install the Procharger and be done with it.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by c u in rearveiw
What did you not care for about the pro charged car. What makes the heads/cam car more exciting.
I didn't care for it because it just never seemed to actually start pulling. There was no rush of power or even any sort of decent pull. I think the h/c car was more exciting because there was a change in the way it pulled. It had the sound and feel of being fast while the procharged car just had an annoying whistle inside the car and no real sensation of speed as a result. It was just boring to me.

I agree with someone else though. If 11.49 is your set in stone goal, then just get a cam or heads and cam setup. No sense in adding the complexity of boost (of either type) for a goal that a cam only car can easily hit. If you are meaning that you will turn it up on the street and have a faster car then that is a different story and completely understandable.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:55 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know... my car actually scares me a little as I roll above 4,000 rpm. It just pulls harder and harder as the rpms go up. Maybe you should have gotten a ride in an 800hp procharged car.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I don't know... my car actually scares me a little as I roll above 4,000 rpm. It just pulls harder and harder as the rpms go up. Maybe you should have gotten a ride in an 800hp procharged car.
I would love another ride in a procharger car because mine was nothing like what anyone else explains them to be.

Ironically, if I owned a C5 or C6 I would have a centri blower on it simply because I have not seen a turbo kit for one that I feel fits or works the way I would want one to. And the videos I have seen of the blower vettes make them look dirty.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Ok what are your power goals? If you want a bad *** street car that's fun to drive and is real snappy, then size your turbo and exhaust housing right. I'm building a lq4 with a th400. I will never take it to the track. And I know that. So I want something that has no lag. I'm also not really gonna be reving it up to 6k all the time with it. That being said I'm going with a single t4 t72 with a .81 or a .96 ar exhaust housing. I know that the .81 would choke above 4k ish. But would be a tire smoking monster. I'll probably end up with the .96 housing. But do your homework and learn how to read a compressor map.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RatCityRex
Ok what are your power goals? If you want a bad *** street car that's fun to drive and is real snappy, then size your turbo and exhaust housing right. I'm building a lq4 with a th400. I will never take it to the track. And I know that. So I want something that has no lag. I'm also not really gonna be reving it up to 6k all the time with it. That being said I'm going with a single t4 t72 with a .81 or a .96 ar exhaust housing. I know that the .81 would choke above 4k ish. But would be a tire smoking monster. I'll probably end up with the .96 housing. But do your homework and learn how to read a compressor map.
I would be happy with a peak 6-700 rwhp, I want it to spool very quick, I don't need to rev passed 6300

Quick Reply: Procharger vs turbo (6 speed)