Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo help. Hp tuners, dominator or fast

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo help. Hp tuners, dominator or fast

Looking to build my first turbo car. S10 with 5.3. Truck is running with a stock ecu and stock modded wiring harness. Looking to upgrade the harnes and ecu. Heard holley or fast was the ones to look at. Looking for one that will be easy to use. Have no idea on what to do when it comes to turbo or changing the tuning tables. The hp tuner confuses the crap out of me. Looking for some help. Who likes what. Looking for a tuner for dumbies ha
Old 09-25-2014, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

I like the fact holley answers the phone too
Old 09-25-2014, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

The Holley is extremely user friendly and there's alot of help available from forums to Holley themselves. I love it!!
Old 09-25-2014, 05:32 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I would only use HPTuners if you're going to be controlling a 60e or 80e trans.

I would also substitute megasquirt in for the FAST.

Not controlling the stock trans? Dominator or megasquirt. Both have their benefits.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:44 PM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Holley Dominator controls GM 60e and 80E transmissions also.

I decided to go Holley for all the safety settings you can program in plus the self learning feature in case I can't find E85 and need to get home on 93 pump gas. Also it has the built in boost controller and 2 step. Money saved!
Old 09-25-2014, 05:49 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dominator all the way
Old 09-26-2014, 05:45 AM
On The Tree

I watched some video on you tube about the Dominator. Looks very user friendly.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

I have the Dominator on two vehicles now and love it. Very User friendly, tons of support from Holley and even more from other users (growing more and more by the day). Holley FTW!
Old 09-26-2014, 08:20 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMF_Racing
I have the Dominator on two vehicles now and love it. Very User friendly, tons of support from Holley and even more from other users (growing more and more by the day). Holley FTW!
I agree the support is unreal. That Danny Cabral guy is like a interwebz hawk.. Literally every question asked he is there with a response within 30min
Old 09-26-2014, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

I still don't know how to work my HP tuners. HA. I still haven't received a email back on my questions either.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STEVE PWC
I still don't know how to work my HP tuners. HA. I still haven't received a email back on my questions either.
Yeah they aren't really going to guide you through the whole process of tuning a car. They will give a few tips/pointers to steer you in the right direction but that is about it.

Your going to have to do searchs on what you want to know on hptforum and possibly make threads about it.

More than likely w/e your trying to learn has been cover in 500 different threads since 2003 lol.

So make sure if your gonna use hpt for your tuning that you do some good research first and then just trial and error with the scanner/logging until your histos work the way they should. That way your not chasing your tail while tuning, can't tune with botched data collection.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:41 AM
On The Tree

Thanks. I think thats why Im going to go with the Holley for this next build. Looking for a easier, friendly tuner. Watched some youtube vids again on Hp Tuners and I think Im better of getting drunk and then trying to use it.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:42 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been messing with HpTuners for a while now, and I can attest the learning curve is ridiculous. I'm finally "comfortable" (no expert!) with it and tuning N/A engines, but learning has been both the biggest headache and most rewarding thing I've done while hot-rodding. There were days I'd rather be changing plugs on an LT1 F-body than being frustrated tuning. But then other times, like fixing your buddies tune and helping other folks out, that it's been just awesome. Plus, I've spent entire days and tanks of gas just messing with my car doing OLMAF, OLSD, CLSD, etc tunes and really learning the in's and out's and little details. But the hours I've put in...yikes.

I'm doing a turbo 70 C10 this winter with the 4L80E, and Holley Dominator is looking better every time I do research. I have not heard much yet about how well it controls the 4L80E, anybody with experience yet?
Old 09-29-2014, 04:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeavyMetl
I've been messing with HpTuners for a while now, and I can attest the learning curve is ridiculous. I'm finally "comfortable" (no expert!) with it and tuning N/A engines, but learning has been both the biggest headache and most rewarding thing I've done while hot-rodding. There were days I'd rather be changing plugs on an LT1 F-body than being frustrated tuning. But then other times, like fixing your buddies tune and helping other folks out, that it's been just awesome. Plus, I've spent entire days and tanks of gas just messing with my car doing OLMAF, OLSD, CLSD, etc tunes and really learning the in's and out's and little details. But the hours I've put in...yikes.

I'm doing a turbo 70 C10 this winter with the 4L80E, and Holley Dominator is looking better every time I do research. I have not heard much yet about how well it controls the 4L80E, anybody with experience yet?
After you dial in a few cars from scratch it gets down to were you can do 90% of a tune in maybe 4-5 hrs. The rest is little tweaks here and there with certain things. You may need to do a few cold starts to get the base running airflow table finished but other than that it's not as bad as it seems at first.

I know I was super over whelmed tuning my first car that wasn't my own. Had wideband issues that were unrelated to anything I did that messed me up for 2 days in a row. Between that and a day job it was rough.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Thanks. I think thats why Im going to go with the Holley for this next build. Looking for a easier, friendly tuner. Watched some youtube vids again on Hp Tuners and I think Im better of getting drunk and then trying to use it.
I had HPTs on my first build and lucked out when a guy with almost and identical setup to mine at the time shared his tune with me. Loaded it and the car started and idled. Only had to adjust full boost tuning. It is a good tuning tool, just not even close to being user friendly and on the forums, not many other users a nice enough to work with you if your new. If you can bare the extra cost of the Holley EFI, you will never look back...

good luck.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:29 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

lots of important factors in here

great to hear from a customer service aspect holley is taking care of people, that is part of the cost people usually do not mention!
Old 09-29-2014, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Bought the Dominator. Thanks. Leaving the Hp on the other cars with the stock harness and OB2
Old 09-29-2014, 05:06 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Bought the Dominator. Thanks. Leaving the Hp on the other cars with the stock harness and OB2
You should be a salesman for Holley. Just because of this thread I started looking closely at the Dominator, good stuff. I mentioned it to my uncle at the shop and he had the software (demo I guess) from LSFest! I loaded it on my laptop and checked it out, compared to HPTuners this thing is caveman simple. All the tables you need, without the chaff.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Ive looked around at all of them. researched, watched vids, You tube, talked to a lot of people. Holley looks easy and every time I called them they gave me the time. Not for nothing I'm sick of emailing hp tuners, dealing with there forum, Im not putting mega squirt together like a radio shack store, and Fast still hasn't called me back. I don't care if it was $500.00 or $1000 more. You can't put a price on person to person phone call. People all over the world buy parts from me. Why? I answer the phone.
Holley People!!!! Thumbs UP!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2014, 08:50 AM
8 Second Club

Ive looked around at all of them. researched, watched vids, You tube, talked to a lot of people. Holley looks easy and every time I called them they gave me the time. Not for nothing I'm sick of emailing hp tuners, dealing with there forum, Im not putting mega squirt together like a radio shack store, and Fast still hasn't called me back. I don't care if it was $500.00 or $1000 more. You can't put a price on person to person phone call. People all over the world buy parts from me. Why? I answer the phone. Holley People!!!! Thumbs UP!!!!!!!
If you haven't purchased it yet give mike@skspeed a call. He was the cheapest by far and super friendly.

Quick Reply: Turbo help. Hp tuners, dominator or fast