Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

how to properly set up a horizontal mounted intercooler. What do you guys think.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 02:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to properly set up a horizontal mounted intercooler. What do you guys think.

I do not own any of the pics and just using it for references.

I was looking at setting up my intercooler. I like the factory look so vertical mounted is not something i want to do. Ive seen some post about people running horizontal mounted intercooler. but they seem to have issues with cooling at low speed/rpm..

BUT one thing ive noticed is the lack of ducking in the bottom. heres an example. path of least resistance is the two sides and bottom. trying to get the air to go though a 3-4" thick intercooler and expecting it to flow well at 90* turns is going to be tough.

heres something i found on google that someone has done. and was wondering has anyone tried this on their f body.

but what im suggesting is cutting it slanted like this to maintain decent frontal clearance for speedbumps and such. adding a bit of front angle would also allow for a smaller ducting?

after thats done. a ducting up top like chevychad? has to be done.

Those two combo should force enough air at low speed to keep the IAT down?

my only other question is how to duck my ws6 hood (debaffled) to help more in cooling. heres what im thinking. just a very ROUGH plan
red = intercooler/rad/condenser
green = ducking
orange = air flow.

what do you guys think?
Old 10-06-2014, 05:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the idea. New corvette systems roughly work the same way.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:57 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used to run the flat 3-core procharger a2a in my truck a long time ago. Never had an issue with IAT's, but I did run meth.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blown06
I used to run the flat 3-core procharger a2a in my truck a long time ago. Never had an issue with IAT's, but I did run meth.
im guessing no over heating at all with meth?

id like to set it up so i can can just run a2a without meth for street use. I may run meth later on but for now main focus is finishing the turbo conversion.

I was also thinking of using my windshield sprayer to be boost activated so it comes on and spray my inter cooler every time i go on boost.( i dont ever use it anyways might as well make it useful)
Old 10-08-2014, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i thought the original thread was pretty good! https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...c-project.html

post 106 he stands it up.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
i thought the original thread was pretty good! https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...c-project.html

post 106 he stands it up.
it is and im basing it off that idea.

btw that last post was not the op its someone else. both both looks like they are suffering from coolant temp issues. Neither uses under car ducting.

which is why i made this post to see if anyone else tried it with actual ducting in the bottom instead of using the factory. Which is just a wall.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
I like the idea. New corvette systems roughly work the same way.
thanks ill look into this. i did find this. another good idea to funnel the air down to the center

Quick Reply: how to properly set up a horizontal mounted intercooler. What do you guys think.