Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oh no! Iron block jbracket and truck alt work together?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 07:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oh no! Iron block jbracket and truck alt work together?

Guys, I need your help. I hope I didn't mess up. I just discovered that my 06 lq4 iron block dosnet have a 3rd mounting hole in the block for the ls1 alternator bracket. I noticed its missing the middle one that's in the block web where the 6.0 emblem is cast into it. This might be ok on a n/a build but on a procharger setup im not sure. I also lost the ability to retain and use the rear mount for the factory alt since I upgraded to the truck alt when my stock one went out a bit ago. This I see as an issue in that the jbracket wil not have 3 points to tie into the block for structural rigidity and the rear aluminum bracket will not bolt on the alternator I have now. What do I need to do? Get a stock ls1 alt again or use my current one?
Old 11-08-2014, 07:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will have will be OK too use that block. I would use an alternator that has a mounting point too the block as well.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Use the ls1 alternator and drill and tap the block for the 3rd hole. Do a search on drilling the 3rd hole, there have been a few threads on the topic. Is your motor still out of the car?
Old 11-08-2014, 09:21 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks guys, that's what I got to thinking once I calmed down a bit. The ls1 alt actually adds a third point to stiffen up the bracket. Hopefully it will help keep bracket twist and belt slip to a minimum as that was my main concern. Alcohol and ignorance don't mix, guess I need to quit drinking.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by conan
Use the ls1 alternator and drill and tap the block for the 3rd hole. Do a search on drilling the 3rd hole, there have been a few threads on the topic. Is your motor still out of the car?
Yes, the engine is on a stand in the garage. I drilled and tapped the block directly after I posted this thread.

Quick Reply: Oh no! Iron block jbracket and truck alt work together?