Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1995 Toyota Supra Twin Supercharged LS Dry Sump

Old 11-16-2014, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Supercharged LS Dry Sump

Been on LS1Tech for about 3 years on my other account and been silently absorbing all the wisdom here on the forums.

When I blew my first ls1 due to oil starvation while drifting, through the use of the often forgotten search button, the community helped me make changes to the motor that has been 3 years reliable.

Taking a step into the big leagues next year and this is what i been working on.

100 % hands on by yours truly and tuned by me also on the AEM Electronics EMS1 LS plug and play computer (its fantastic to tune on). I tuned the car about 2 years ago, since then i have gone from a 3.4:1 to 2.6:1 pulley and now two superchargers instead of one.... i wont even have to touch the tune, the AEM computer takes care of that for me.

I seen the twin charged setup across the pond in Australia and its always been something that has lingered in the back of my mind.

Well.... dream to reality.

Im currently testing and getting feedback on compound boost.

Next year this setup is going into the junk pile and I'll be running a bigger displacement LS engine with a TVS 2300 Magnuson Supercharger up top and a turbo feeding it.

Upgrading the aem ems1 to the new AEM infinity.

Should be substantially faster and more fun.

My apologies for the glitzy presentation... its part of the "job" so please forgive the formality of the video.

The car is something different to look at. I figured i would share the fruits of everyone's wisdom.

Regards

Spike Chen

Last edited by spikedrift; 11-16-2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely wasn't expecting that. Awesome though. Kinda hard seeing a Supra though without the 2J
Old 11-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Launching!

One of the local Diesel guys is running a turbo fed pro-charger on his race truck. It's very impressive, but is on a Cummins that is actually designed to handle boost(around 130psi). If you set it up so that your secondary(supercharger) only makes around 6psi or so, you could probably run up around 12psi from a decent sized primary(turbo) without going beyond the LS motors ability. 6 bolt block and heads could take a bit more. Running a single 60mm HX35/40 hybrid as a single was seeing around 375 hp with 40psi and 1400deg egt's. The same engine with a bit more fuel, the same HX35 as a secondary, and a BHT3B primary charger made 505 at 60psi with egt's at 1200. The wastegate on the hx35 was set to open at 8psi in the compound set up.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:34 PM

Hey Ron

Thx for the feedback.

Your friends diesel must be putting out a ton of torque.

Im trying to push the motor to find the limit. The goal for the build next year is around 1000ft tq around 3000rpm. I seen a couple dynos on a compound turbo sc setup and the tq band was to die for.

Ill run this car as next week when i get some aem widebands in there and monitor the afr.

It is a good idea to run low boost on the sc since 12 psi compounded by 6 psi is probably around 22psi at the manifold.

Thats plenty of power.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Look at air mass, not air pressure. The mass of the air moved by the primary at 12psi is all your motor will see. The increase in pressure due to further compressing by the secondary is not increasing the mass of the air. The good thing is that the extra mass of air brought in by the secondary before the primary starts to make boost, creates more exhaust gas than the motor would n/a. That will make the turbo think your engine is larger than it actually is and spool the primary earlier.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Launching!

Ive always wanted to do a LS swap in one of these!
Old 11-17-2014, 06:11 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is very cool. What are your intake temps? I'd assume you are only measuring them before the roots charger. Would be curious to see what it is after it. How much boost is the engine seeing?

Also have you dyno'd it? I'd love to see a graph to see how it works out with two different style of superchargers.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by RonA
Look at air mass, not air pressure. The mass of the air moved by the primary at 12psi is all your motor will see. The increase in pressure due to further compressing by the secondary is not increasing the mass of the air. The good thing is that the extra mass of air brought in by the secondary before the primary starts to make boost, creates more exhaust gas than the motor would n/a. That will make the turbo think your engine is larger than it actually is and spool the primary earlier.
Hey RonA

very good perspective. maybe we can hash this out as my understanding could be incorrect.

There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding of where the 12 vs the 6 psi are generated.

supercharger # 1 is the centrifugal feeding into supercharger #2 magnuson mp112

supercharger #1 will be running a max of 6 psi in the intake pipe. it is not referenced off the by manifold pressure after #2 but rather off the pressure in the intake pipe.

If more psi is generated over 6 which the secondary supercharger can not use up, it is bleed in to atmosphere and dispersed. This is done to limit the power output at this moment.

The car will ingest at higher mass of air at an higher pressure as well since the air supply to SC#2 is always being adjusted dynamically on the fly.

sc #2 is currently running in the 12-14 psi range.

Details will be hazy till i get some seat time and data logging on the AEM Engine management system to figure out exactly what the car is doing and if "theory" translates to reality.

Going to be running a turbo next year instead of sc #1 and i feel boost regulation will be substantially easier using a BOV and wastegate combination since the boost isnt mechanically driven.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:01 PM
Launching!

Sorry. I was thinking MP112 as a secondary with a turbo for a primary. I can't offer any advice with the centrifugal primary. Not sure it would be worth doing.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Hey keep me in mind if you decide to sell your supercharger setup next year please. I look forward to seeing what you come up with in your car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Supercharged LS Dry Sump