Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

my d1sc lq4 build

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default my d1sc lq4 build

let me start by saying I bought this car late last summer, it has a 9" and that is pretty much all that I left in it besides the supension. sold the t-56 and ls1 bought a 03 lq4, 4l80e and a d1sc procharger kit with a fmic. I was going to just freshen up the lq4 put a cam in it and run it but upon further investigation it appears water must have set in the cylinders and ate at the walls so it is off to the machine shop right now for all the machine work and forged rotating assembly(minus crank) now my problem is if I am spending the money on that should I just get a set of ls3 heads and supporting valvetrain or just run the 317's? will I gain a signifigant amount of power from that? the only other question is I was thinking about since its forged what would I need to change the head unit to a f1a if anything? by the way the car is a 98 ws6
Thanks in advance, jon
Old 01-25-2015, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you already have the 317's and the D1, I vote run that combo. Choose a piston that puts you up in the 10:1 compression with the 317 heads. Feed that thing 12-14 #'s and you'll see 700+ at the tire depending on the rest of the set up.

What cam, intake manifold, and exhaust are you running with this ?

Last edited by conan; 01-26-2015 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with Conan in regards to sticking with the 317 heads. Do like he said, and you'll have a very powerful setup.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engine combo Conan suggested sounds good to me also. My question is whats done to the trans to handle the power your gonna be making and what converter do you plan to run?
Old 01-26-2015, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

prolly gonna run a ls6 manifold, i have a set of 1 3/4" hooker headers and will have a custom 3" true dual made up retaining cats for emissions here in ny, and the cam can not be huge also due to emmisions. As for the trans I have a local guy that is going to rebuild it and warranty it up to 1000hp for a year and I was also going to ask what converter you guys think. It will be street driven, I was thinking 3400 stall
Old 01-26-2015, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

forgot to mention I have the fmic, and will be running meth
Old 01-27-2015, 07:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You should be able to get around 16 psi of boost out of the D-1SC. Putting a larger air filter on it helps along with the truck inlet hat. You should be able to see 750 to 800 rwhp, depending on the dyno.
Make sure you go with a triple disc torque converter. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 01-27-2015, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

thanks bob, I had spoke with you a long time ago when I had my camaro and decided to do heads and cam instead of a procharger. should have went with the procharger I would probably still have that car!! Bob, I have an aster bracket but I wanted to ask you what pulley setup I would need to achieve the kind of boost you were talking about. I have an ati superdamper.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:40 AM
On The Tree

Ok so since the engine guy I was using started jerking me around and isnt going to be able to get my motor done for a month(just machining), I decided to buy one already built that I am going to freshen up with new bearings. question for you guys is the motor I am buying has forged rods and pistons with 317 heads and has 10.2:1 compression with .040 cometic head gaskets, is that pushing the limits with pump gas and meth? I am not against running a race gas mix if I have to. I have a fuel cell and aeromotive pump I can use.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by yellabella
Ok so since the engine guy I was using started jerking me around and isnt going to be able to get my motor done for a month(just machining), I decided to buy one already built that I am going to freshen up with new bearings. question for you guys is the motor I am buying has forged rods and pistons with 317 heads and has 10.2:1 compression with .040 cometic head gaskets, is that pushing the limits with pump gas and meth? I am not against running a race gas mix if I have to. I have a fuel cell and aeromotive pump I can use.
That's about what my combos CR is gonna be. (lq4 shortblock with 799 heads and ls9 gaskets). If a stock ls2 with 10.9:1 can do it then you will be fine. It will work with just 93 octane if you keep the timming decent. I think you could probably get another 70-80hp with meth though.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:05 PM
Launching!

You may wanna get some larger headers. 1 3/4 is small for a NA 6.0, gonna be like blowing through a straw with the blower.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mongoose350
You may wanna get some larger headers. 1 3/4 is small for a NA 6.0, gonna be like blowing through a straw with the blower.
Yes, I was thinking about selling my set of hooker headers and going to texas speed 1 7/8"
Old 02-04-2015, 05:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by yellabella
thanks bob, I had spoke with you a long time ago when I had my camaro and decided to do heads and cam instead of a procharger. should have went with the procharger I would probably still have that car!! Bob, I have an aster bracket but I wanted to ask you what pulley setup I would need to achieve the kind of boost you were talking about. I have an ati superdamper.
You're going to need to go with a 3.40 blower pulley. The D-1SC has a 62,000 rpm max impeller speed.

To determine the impeller speed, the following formula is used:

Maximum impeller speed = crankshaft pulley diameter (N1) divided by supercharger pulley diameter (N2),multiplied by the step-up ratio (4.10 for the P-series/D series - 5.40 for the F series), multiplied by engine rpm at redline.

Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 02-04-2015, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

this motor I am thinking about buying also has a btr stage 3 cam 231/242 .671/.592 112+2, would this be ok or would you change it out?
Old 02-05-2015, 11:06 AM
10 Second Club

12.5 deg is alot of overlap for a boosted engine. Id change it for a smaller one.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
12.5 deg is alot of overlap for a boosted engine. Id change it for a smaller one.
Lots of people claim as to what is too much overlap, but if you look at people running cams with lots of overlap, they're still making great power and times. As to whats ideal overlap, I think youll be hard pressed to find some dyno backed numbers.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBadWhitey
Lots of people claim as to what is too much overlap, but if you look at people running cams with lots of overlap, they're still making great power and times. As to whats ideal overlap, I think youll be hard pressed to find some dyno backed numbers.
I agree with you on this one. Since you already have the cam, just roll with it. It seems to me that a supercharged setup is less sensitive to cams as opposed to turbo setups.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

I was going off the notion that he has a D1SC that will be turning roughly 59,962RPM @ 6500 engine RPM with the pulley setup Bob recommended. If he had an F-series head unit the cam wouldnt matter as it would have the CFM needed to easily feed a built 6.0 liter engine. A smaller cam wouldnt bleed off so much of the needed airflow to get the #'s he's wanting to make and would do it at a more manageable RPM. My thoughts were that a smaller blower specific cam would do the same thing without having to spin the blower to close to max rpm to do it. More RPM = more heat = less hp, No?
Old 02-05-2015, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
I was going off the notion that he has a D1SC that will be turning roughly 59,962RPM @ 6500 engine RPM with the pulley setup Bob recommended. If he had an F-series head unit the cam wouldnt matter as it would have the CFM needed to easily feed a built 6.0 liter engine. A smaller cam wouldnt bleed off so much of the needed airflow to get the #'s he's wanting to make and would do it at a more manageable RPM. My thoughts were that a smaller blower specific cam would do the same thing without having to spin the blower to close to max rpm to do it. More RPM = more heat = less hp, No?
I agree, and in theory it seems 100% right, its just I've been looking into this like mad because im in the same boat trying to choose a cam, and I've been looking at dynos with some people swapping out cams that have a higher overlap (albeit larger duration) and they're making a good bit more power, even though they're gauge boost is lower. If you had a cam that was Identical in duration, but had varying amounts of overlap, sure the cam with less overlap will make more power in a pro-charged setup. But I dont think he will be at a loss, and probably make even more power with that larger cam.

Just meaning, the boost # produced isnt the end all be all for how much power hes going to make.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:09 PM
10 Second Club

I agree, and in theory it seems 100% right, its just I've been looking into this like mad because im in the same boat trying to choose a cam, and I've been looking at dynos with some people swapping out cams that have a higher overlap (albeit larger duration) and they're making a good bit more power, even though they're gauge boost is lower. If you had a cam that was Identical in duration, but had varying amounts of overlap, sure the cam with less overlap will make more power in a pro-charged setup. But I dont think he will be at a loss, and probably make even more power with that larger cam.

Just meaning, the boost # produced isnt the end all be all for how much power hes going to make.
Fair enough, so long as the D1 dosent run out of steam on the top end. The larger cam will definitely sound better.

Quick Reply: my d1sc lq4 build