Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS3 heads vs LSA heads - parts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 heads vs LSA heads - parts?

Hey everyone,
I've got a set of 2010 LS3 heads (newly redone) that are ready to go that are on my never fired 408 iron block but since this will be an engine with approx 20# of boost and +950rwhp on E85 I've been reading tons of horror stories how these LS3's will lift before 20# of boost or that rwhp and go with the LSA heads. Is this a fact or just possible?

My question is, what are the differences between the LS3's and the LSA's, I know the material, rotocast, maybe a thicker deck but can I use my pushrods, rockers, valves, seals, springs and ARP studs all from my LS3's on the LSA's???

thanks!
Old 02-17-2015, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

Yes they will bolt on and they are basically just better material. You can always try what you got first and upgrade. I still think some aftermarket heads will be better, but it's up to your wallet It's hard to say what boost your YSI will make as that would depend on how high flowing of top end parts you have vs the drive ratio. Surface prep on the head and block are very important and would be my at the top of my list of things to keep in mind.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Slowride!!! - How's the car doing? I know when I talked to you at CFR you were still getting the bugs worked out, I want to see that thing on the track!!

Yep I agree with going with what I've got now and at least getting the car to run with as much hp as i can get of it now safely considering it was 600rwhp before i hope till get alot more with it now lol

The engine was built by AES in Chicago so I've got confidence in the engine but its just one of those things I start reading and then convince myself its not going to work lol
Old 02-17-2015, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

Just finishing some details in the interior and waiting for the snow to clear. Remember I'm a 6 speed and will be slow and broken lol.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:22 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this isn't your question, but you should be fine with the LS3 castings. I haven't had any issues with mine pushing water yet and it has seen 20-22psi on a regular basis last year. 24 a couple times. I'm using LS9 head gaskets and ARP studs. Turbo car vs blower car might see some different results, but you should still be able to keep them down as long as you don't have too much timing in it at peak torque.

Quick Reply: LS3 heads vs LSA heads - parts?