Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Mid Ram vs Hi Ram OnTheDyno

Old 02-17-2015, 01:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Default Mid Ram vs Hi Ram OnTheDyno

Seen this on their webpage.

Yes it is a n/a test, but still an interesting one.

I just wonder if the lower rpm abilities of the Mid might benefit some road turbo setups, and boost will simply take care of the top end.
Given the lower profile and easier fitment of the Mid ( and horrific looks of the base plate ) it actually performs well !

http://onthedyno.com/GM-LS-motor/art...m-383-stroker/
Old 02-17-2015, 01:53 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo

I just wonder if the lower rpm abilities of the Mid might benefit some road turbo setups, and boost will simply take care of the top end.
Given the lower profile and easier fitment of the Mid ( and horrific looks of the base plate ) it actually performs well !

Nice test, would be better with an OEM intake baseline though. Curious to see how the OEM gen4 truck intake would compare to both.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:00 PM
9 Second Club

Interesting that the 5.3 TT test they did is with the LSXRT intake, different cam/baseline though.

Not sure if they have done other intake tests, I think they did a while back. Not sure how much more info there is on the paid section of the site.

Still very surprising that the mid-ram wasnt a pig low down given how horrible it looks ! lol
Old 02-17-2015, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Interesting that the 5.3 TT test they did is with the LSXRT intake, different cam/baseline though.

Not sure if they have done other intake tests, I think they did a while back. Not sure how much more info there is on the paid section of the site.

Still very surprising that the mid-ram wasnt a pig low down given how horrible it looks ! lol
Looks can be very deceiving. As I see it, the mid-ram uses the dual quad dual plane intake as the base with an adapter for the various hi-ram tops that are offered. The dual plane base offers relatively long runners, which is why it made more torque down low and the hi-ram only surpassed it after about 4750 RPM.

The mid-ram would certainly work great for my 5.3L torque monster idea!

Andrew
Old 02-17-2015, 06:37 PM
9 Second Club

Not sure on length, but I reckon the Mid has small diameter runners. Not even sure on their configuration...but they're probably quite twisty too. Visually horrible, reality maybe makes no difference, or it might even help in some instances.
As you say, it could well be good for torque. Large plenum available and small runners with good port velocity.
Great for spool and torque
Old 02-17-2015, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not sure on length, but I reckon the Mid has small diameter runners. Not even sure on their configuration...but they're probably quite twisty too. Visually horrible, reality maybe makes no difference, or it might even help in some instances.
As you say, it could well be good for torque. Large plenum available and small runners with good port velocity.
Great for spool and torque
Makes me wonder how much of a pooch my little NA 5.3L will be with the Hi-Ram!? LOL

Andrew
Old 02-18-2015, 12:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As usual its always the "gurus" that wrote it off due to looks or there personal feelings without any actual testing or facts. The intake holds up well based on that dyno session.
Not tripping. Heard the same thing from gurus back in 97 about the ls being a "throw away motor" and a "fad".
Look at them now.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:02 AM
9 Second Club

The 4.8's and 5.3's are throw away motors....that's why they're boosting the **** out of them and not caring !!
Old 02-18-2015, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve, again it come down to why you would want one over a stock intake?

Would be interesting to see if the chargecoolers integrated into the Hi-Ram would work on the Mid?
Old 02-18-2015, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chuntington101

Would be interesting to see if the chargecoolers integrated into the Hi-Ram would work on the Mid?
If you're talking about the 417 Mtorsports core, I don't see why it wouldn't work. The base and tops are interchangeable with the Hi-Ram.

Andrew
Old 02-18-2015, 10:59 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Steve, again it come down to why you would want one over a stock intake?
Cos it looks nice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mid Ram vs Hi Ram OnTheDyno