Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Midwest Chassis K-Member with Huron Speed V1 DP doesn't work...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Midwest Chassis K-Member with Huron Speed V1 DP doesn't work...

I have a Midwest Chassis k member and a Hurson Speed V1 Hotside kit. I was mocking up a intercooler piping kit and making sure everything fit before taking the engine and transmission out to add the oil return to the pan and install the HD2 shift kit in my 4l80e.

I wanted to mark the spot for my wideband bung on the dp pipe so I could get it welded next week. I tried to install the dp from the back and it wouldnt even get close to aligning with the turbo with the crossover pipe installed. I thought I was doing something wrong, so I tried going in from the front. I removed the radiator and intercooler and tried going in from the front. No luck that way either. What appears to be happening is the rear engine mount bar on the k-member is pushing the dp up to high and it then hits the flange on the crossover/truck manifold. I was mad last night and didnt take a lot of pictures.

I went ahead and took the engine and transmission out last night (almost fucked more **** up working to fast). The engine is still on the k-member and I can add the crossover pipe/downpipe and turbo to get more pictures. I figure there are three ways to fix this:

1) Have a shop redo the downpipe.
2) Cut the rear engine mount bar and re-weld it. I dont want to make the k-member weak though.
3) Go with a bumper exit.

I don't think there is anything wrong with either part and I like both the k-member and Huron Speed turbo kit, I just think they don't work together. I had just assumed this whole time that they would work together.

Am I the first person with a Huron Speed V1 and Midwest chassis K-member?

What would you do?
Attached Thumbnails Midwest Chassis K-Member with Huron Speed V1 DP doesn't work...-downpipe-1.jpg   Midwest Chassis K-Member with Huron Speed V1 DP doesn't work...-downpipe-2.jpg  
Old 04-05-2015, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

It depends on what you have access to or comfort with. I'd cut the stand and rebrace it. That is the less stressed side of the engine mounts if that makes you feel better. If you have a good exhaust tubing shop around then maybe that is a better option for you.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 007FJ
It depends on what you have access to or comfort with. I'd cut the stand and rebrace it. That is the less stressed side of the engine mounts if that makes you feel better. If you have a good exhaust tubing shop around then maybe that is a better option for you.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if I want to cut the kmember still, but its an option. This is a weekend/race car and I don't mind running a bumper exit downpipe. The problem is my lack of welding abilities.

I'm going to think on it another day and I will probably call midwest chassis tomorrow and see what they think. Ill also call Huron Speed and see about a bumper exit exhaust for their V1 kit.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

Hard to beat the bumper exit for simplicity and weight I assumed it was dual purpose.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldnt mess with the k member personally
Old 04-05-2015, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

Look at his second picture. It can be braced differently since the main mount is not the issue. Bumper exit since it isn't a street car is the answer though.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 007FJ
Look at his second picture. It can be braced differently since the main mount is not the issue. Bumper exit since it isn't a street car is the answer though.

I'll take more pictures tomorrow. I sent Jon an email at Huron Speed to see what options they have for a new downpipe. Hopefully I can get something to work. I need to get this thing finished before moving to Texas in June.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:50 AM
Teching In

Bumper exit.../thread
Old 04-06-2015, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Says pretty clearly that the Huron kit is only approved to fit with the PA racing k member.... That being said bumper exit
Old 04-06-2015, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

People need to realize that even these "kits" are advertised as bolt on there will always be fab work.
You are better off having a competent shop do it and you will have better results.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:53 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If a bent tube to replace the straight one that is standard on the k-member will work that is no problem for us. We can work something out on a complete replacement k-member or you can change out the tube on your own. Give us a call and we will get you taken care of.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HolyShiznit
Says pretty clearly that the Huron kit is only approved to fit with the PA racing k member.... That being said bumper exit

I'll start this out by stating that I bought my Huron Speed hotside kit used (but new) and don't expect them to give me anything. I did research and dont remember seeing anything that said you need an aftermarket K-member for with the V1 non-ac kit. 1998z28 installed his kit with the stock k-member, so I only assumed id have more space with my aftermarket midwest chassis k-member.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...blowout-2.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-thread-6.html

I just wanted others with a huron speed V1 downpipe and midwest chassis k-member to know that it didnt work for me. Not 100% sure why it didn't bolt up, but it doesn't

I contacted Jon at Hurson Speed about getting a bumper exit exhaust made for my kit. Just spreading a little info about my set up.

John
Old 04-06-2015, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ssvert99
If a bent tube to replace the straight one that is standard on the k-member will work that is no problem for us. We can work something out on a complete replacement k-member or you can change out the tube on your own. Give us a call and we will get you taken care of.

That sounds good. Ill call later today. I'm heading out to the garage now to clean up a little and take better pictures.

John
Old 04-06-2015, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

I'm going to hit up Midwest Chassis about that new engine mount bar. Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails Midwest Chassis K-Member with Huron Speed V1 DP doesn't work...-kmember.jpg   Midwest Chassis K-Member with Huron Speed V1 DP doesn't work...-kmember-3.jpg   Midwest Chassis K-Member with Huron Speed V1 DP doesn't work...-kmember-1.jpg  
Old 04-06-2015, 03:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

One of the hurdles buying second hand is little things like this such as aftermarket compatibility.
We have known for a while that our downpipes do not fit with the midwest k-member, which is bummer, but it fits with the Stock K-member, BMR, PA, UMI.
Issue simply lies in the motor mount pedestal location of their K-member and that it runs where our down pipe does creating the issue you have.
I would take the car to a local fab shop and have them tweak your down pipe to fit around the k-member in the car for the easiest solution.

As mentioned when talking directly with you, even though you did not purchase from us, I would still like to help however possible, but unfortunately I cannot make a down pipe for you as the V1 kits are now over a year old so I do not have one on hand, nor do I have a car here with that same K-member to build one around. Anything else I can do I am all ears to help, but I feel having a local shop tweak the down pipe around your pedestal would be the cheapest and most simple solution.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 04-07-2015, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Superman09
One of the hurdles buying second hand is little things like this such as aftermarket compatibility.
We have known for a while that our downpipes do not fit with the midwest k-member, which is bummer, but it fits with the Stock K-member, BMR, PA, UMI.
Issue simply lies in the motor mount pedestal location of their K-member and that it runs where our down pipe does creating the issue you have.
I would take the car to a local fab shop and have them tweak your down pipe to fit around the k-member in the car for the easiest solution.

As mentioned when talking directly with you, even though you did not purchase from us, I would still like to help however possible, but unfortunately I cannot make a down pipe for you as the V1 kits are now over a year old so I do not have one on hand, nor do I have a car here with that same K-member to build one around. Anything else I can do I am all ears to help, but I feel having a local shop tweak the down pipe around your pedestal would be the cheapest and most simple solution.
Thanks for trying to help! Midwest Chassis is sending me a new motor mount bar with clearance for the downpipe. I've taken the V1 downpipe to a local welder to get the wideband bung added. Ill post pictures during install.

The reason for my post to begin with was to find answers and to let others know that these aftermarket parts don't work together. Both parts are great, they just don't work together.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

I got the new bent motor mount tube from midwest chassis. My buddy stopped by and welded it on for me. I'll put the engine back on the k-member tomorrow and check clearances with the huronspeed downpipe.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

It's still not fitting right. I'll probably throw it together and drive to the exhaust shop and have them do something out the bumper or try and make this downpipe work.

I'm just frustrated right now after getting the wideband bung and new motor mount welded in.

Am I doing something wrong or do these parts not work together?

Old 04-22-2015, 06:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

You are using 2 parts that are not compatible. I would recommend as before to make a tweak to the downpipe to fit around the k member as it will be cheaper and easier than switching k members.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed

Quick Reply: Midwest Chassis K-Member with Huron Speed V1 DP doesn't work...