Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

rebuilt motor loosing oil pressure once warmed up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuilt motor loosing oil pressure once warmed up!!!

hi guys,
I rebuilt my stock ls1 with skat piston and rods. everything worked great oil pressure was fine. I put a T400 in the car an did not have a Trans cooler on the car when I drove it home from the shop. which was about 100 miles. My trans temps got hot all the way to about 220. after that happened I started to loose oil pressure. once I got it home I let the car sit for a couple years. I ran out of money an Time. now I pulled the car back out an started it up an it holds oil pressure fine up to 40 till it warms up then the oil pressure drops off. to around 20 or below. if I would attempt to just take it down the road an build some heat it bounces of of zero oil please unless k keep my foot on the throttle. could it be the oil pump or am I just doing wishful thinking.
any thoughts would help!!.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:59 PM
Launching!

Cut the oil filter apart and check for filings. I just had a motor spin a cam bearing and do the same thing. No noise just real low oil pressure warmed up.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:33 PM

was it just after a rebuild or just in general
Old 06-01-2015, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Just in general. You could just have a bad oil pump, pick up tube oring or maybe even a crack in the pick up tube. Cutting the filter apart will help identify a bearing problem though.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check the filter and change your oil if you havent already
Old 06-02-2015, 08:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first received/installed my 402, mine did the same thing with 5w30 oil. It would idle between 16 and 0 psi. I switched to 5w40 and still run it to this day with very good oil pressure. Keep paying attention to the engine and oil filter, but it might just like a little thicker oil now after the rebuild. Did you do anything different with the bearing tolerances?
Old 06-02-2015, 09:18 AM
11 Second Club

I hope the T400 didn't knock out your thrust bearing. My glide did it to me twice.......
Old 06-02-2015, 09:30 AM

I hope it didn't. I even ran thicker oil in the car to get it home the rest of the way. I dont believe they changed them but they never have me a build sheet. so Idk. hoping to replace the oil pump in about a week. all new fluids an i will start the process of elimination to figure it out. ill check the filter once I drain it. if its full I will just pull the motor an take it to the machine shop.
an at that point I will put a new cam an heads on while I am at it.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kk90
I hope it didn't. I even ran thicker oil in the car to get it home the rest of the way. I dont believe they changed them but they never have me a build sheet. so Idk. hoping to replace the oil pump in about a week. all new fluids an i will start the process of elimination to figure it out. ill check the filter once I drain it. if its full I will just pull the motor an take it to the machine shop.
an at that point I will put a new cam an heads on while I am at it.
That is a good idea. If the oil shimmers, then you have bearing material. If you have bearing material, then something wasn't happy and got ate up. If it is the thrust bearing, then we can go from there.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

I am not trying to convince anyone different just offering my opinion of what has worked very successfully for me. I have alot of miles on on multiple motors and I have had zero bearings issues and bearings have always looked perfect after up to two years of use. I have always run a Napa "Gold" filter which is a WIX and not all filters are the same. I use vr1 20 50w and I always run it 1/2 quart over full. I also substitute one quart of oil with one quart of lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer with every oil change. I have never had an issue and have ran a v6 with a 68mm journal turbo and a 68mm ball bearing turbo an ls with a pt88 journal turbo and lastly a borg s484.
Now that being said My bearings are set up alittle looser than stock but on the ls with 10/30 only and a K and N oil filter, my oil pressure was 15-20 at idle warm and 55 at 6000rpm. With vr1 and lucas it is 40 idle warm and 75psi at 7100rpm.
I hope you do not have a mechanical issue that needs attention first, but realize if the tolerances were set up looser a different viscosity may be in order. Best of luck

Quick Reply: rebuilt motor loosing oil pressure once warmed up!!!