Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New to Boost... Please Pick Apart my Plan

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Boost... Please Pick Apart my Plan

Hey guys thinking about getting into the turbo game. I currently have a 65 Lemans that needs a new power plant. The plan right now is to do a mostly stock 5.3 turbo build with a relatively mild turbo. I want to go E85 as it is readily available in my area.

It feels like I have spent way too long doing research and I am at the point where I just want to dive in and get the car running. Thank you all for contributing to this forum and others as you have answered many of my questions already.

Here is my plan so far. Please critique it and help me with a better more reliable build.

First off Goals:
Somewhere around 500 rwhp through a 4l80e or th400. I want the car to live under 10lbs of boost. I am looking for a reliable build that may see a strip once or twice a year, but will live mostly as a weekend warrior type role. I am looking for a quick spool that builds a "meaty" power curve. I want it to hit hard in low rpms

Motor:
Stock 5.3 sourced off ebay. Stock other than custom cam and valve spring/trunnion upgrade.

Fuel:
E85 probably from a fuel cell. 80lb injectors. 8an feed 6an return. Not 100% sure on pump yet. Thinking either twin walbro 450's in line, or the aero phantom flex kit (might be a hair small for boost).

Engine Management:
Holley HP EFI - Newbie to tuning so this looks the most user friendly for tuning on the go without make WOT dyno pulls.

Turbo System:
Need some input here looking to stay under $1000 if possible. I have been looking at the BW s400sx-65 T4 or T6 if possible. I hear its big but I should have plenty of room. Flipped manifolds with homemade hot side. Ebay intercooler and cold side plumbing. Probably will look for a middle of the road waste-gate and BOVs (Open to suggestions).

Questions:
Will I need to check the ring gap? If so what type of gap for <10lbs of boost? Motor should be coming with somewhere around 80-120K miles.

What are your guys' opinions on inline vs in-tank fuel systems? Is there a cookie cutter mold bullet proof type of system that will fit my application?

Do I need to bother with an intercooler? I know that E85 runs quite a bit cooler, but I think for longevity/reliability I am leaning towards having one.

Thank you all! I can't wait to get into turbos!
Old 06-15-2015, 08:14 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

500 whp is honestly a pretty modest goal around here. 10 years ago it may have been a little more lofty, but you shouldn't have to try to hard to hit that.

Your fuel setup should hit those goals. Twin 450s might be overkill. There is Walbro 400 series pump made just for E85. One of those should be good for 500whp on E85.

A turbo setup under $1000 is possible but its going to be a major DIY project.

Don't worry about ring gap under 10 lbs of boost, especially if the motor has 100k or more. The factory rings open up with higher miles. Most guys like to use the junkyard motors over 100k because they're just 'ripe for boost'.

You don't need to run an intercooler at that power level but if you find the stuff for cheap and can weld aluminum, go for it.

Inline vs In-tank is your call. In-tank is quieter and more street friendly. You might have less starvation issues around corners with an In-tank setup than a typical fuel cell.

I have a Tank Inc modular pump setup if you're interested. Comes with a fuel level sensor, sending unit, modular pump canister with a baffle, a weld-in tray and lots of extras. Basically you cut a hole in your stock tank and weld in the tray. Then you assemble the canister and bolt it into the tray. Run your fuel lines and you're done.

Here is the setup:
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd84.htm

And the Tray:
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd370.htm

On top of those I have two AEM 320 lph E85 fuel pumps, a rollover valve, fuel level sensor and fittings, every last piece to convert this to a Dual pump setup, -8 AN O-ring fittings for the top, bulk head fittings to add a return line, 10 feet of Stainless braided, line, a dozen hose ends.. the works. I have over $800 in it but I'll work with you on it if you're interested.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply!

The more I think about, the more I am leaning towards the aeromotive phantom fuel system. That way I can use my own tank with some minor cutting with a hole saw.

Sorry I meant to say $1000 for the turbo itself. I have a few more bucks in my budget for the oiling system, BOVs, wastegate, and plumbing.

Would the turbo I mentioned be a little overkill? I figured it would give me some room to grow if wanted. Is there a better option? I am still a little fuzzy reading compressor maps but it looks like I will fall within the "island".

I also realize that 500rwhp is mild for everyone on this forum, but I really want to go easy on the ringlands and rods until I can save up for forged internals.

Thanks again for the reply and keep schooling me!
Old 06-15-2015, 11:12 PM
Restricted User

My setup is similar to the aeromotive. You can install it the exact same way as the aeromotive and skip the welding. Up to you.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the offer, I will keep that in mind when I start to source parts.

Any more input on Turbo size and selection?
Old 06-17-2015, 07:50 AM
Restricted User

Low boost on E85? 500 whp goal?

Ebay GT45. They're less than $250 shipped. You can squeeze around 600 whp out of that turbo and its similar in size to the Borg Warner turbos should you decide to upgrade later on.

Quick Reply: New to Boost... Please Pick Apart my Plan