Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Anyone get flex fuel to work on a 2 / 3 Bar P59 ECM?

Old 06-27-2015, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Anyone get flex fuel to work on a 2 / 3 Bar P59 ECM?

I know this might not be the correct place to post tuning questions, but people with 2 / 3 COS would be more likely to read it here.

I finally found a flex fuel tune that matches my OS so I swapped the engine segment and just left it stock to see if the ethanol sensor worked. The good news is that it does. With a non-flex fuel tune I wasn't able to simply "enable" flex fuel, however swapping to a flex fuel tune seems to enable something behind the scenes. This is a 2003 DBW P59 ECM and I'm using HP Tuners.

So I confirmed that the sensor is working and the ECM recognizes it. I converted to a 2 BAR COS and now ethanol content is no longer shown on the scanner. What's weird is that the car runs really lean as you would expect as I'm running straight E85 right now, but after a minute (while up to temp and in open loop) it comes back to 1.0 Lambda. Perhaps the sensor is working despite the fact that the scanner doesn't register anything? The 1 minute delay worries me a bit too, is that how long it takes these sensors to adjust the AFR? My AFX 02 just sits at 16.0 A/F and the car runs really rough until it slowly settles back to 14.7.

If anyone has been down this road I would appreciate their input
Old 06-27-2015, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Closed loop o2 will be bringing it back, not the eth content sensor.

Edit - sorry missed the part where you said open loop. Did you definitely disable both short and long term fuel corrections?
Old 06-27-2015, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ben.
Closed loop o2 will be bringing it back, not the eth content sensor.

Edit - sorry missed the part where you said open loop. Did you definitely disable both short and long term fuel corrections?
Yes, both short and long trims have been turned off.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

I just figured I'd add to my notes here in effort to save someone else from going down this road:

I took the car out this morning and long story short, it doesn't work. The sensor must be doing something as it will stay around 14.7 when driving around, but it fluctuates to 15.5 at times too (I'm on E85). I hit PE quickly and it only went to 13.9 when it should have hit 11.5, so no way would I trust this on a boosted setup.

If anyone managed to get a COS to work w/flex fuel, I'd love to hear about it but am pretty sure I know the answer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone get flex fuel to work on a 2 / 3 Bar P59 ECM?